Help with JVC GY-HD251 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old June 17th, 2007, 04:13 AM   #1
Tourist

Help with JVC GY-HD251

so I've got this camera without knowing much about its techniques, it was a question of investment for a production company, renting it out, working with it (but with cameraman) etc. however, now I am practicing, studying and comparing and i'd like to know as much as I can about what Ive got....
You are all professionals, I'd like to be able o treat my almost-professional camera profesionally...so to speak.

And, another thing, I've got an Imac G5. What do I need to be able to edit my HDV films in it, its got Final Cut Pro (need I Final Cut HD?) What do I need?

Sorry for being such an ignorant among you, but I figured this could be a good way to becoming not-so-ignorant...

Thank you
Emma Sofia Dedorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2007, 10:13 AM   #2
Major Player

Emma, first of all welcome! There is much to learn about getting the most out of these cameras, and certainly also in becoming a cinematographer with a "broadcast" or "pro" video camera design.

We all come from different backgraounds, and had to learn our knowledge, so there is never any reason to preface posts with "maybe this is stupid or ignorant". There are a lot of us who enjoy helping out, or will share a similar experience that can lead to a solution.

My first pointers however, will be on how to get the most from this invaluable resource.
#1 Do some minimal research before asking a question.
a) Read and refer to the manual (it's also available as a pdf for the 250 series)
b) Browse and use search tools on these dvinfo forums. I realize that it is a tremendous amount of material to get through and search tools are limited - but try different keywords within this specific area using the drop down tools on the above right.
c) sometimes even a quick smart google is the best and fastest.

#2 Specific questions with careful details and placement will get much better answers. There's just too many things to consider as advice to someone starting out with this camera, or to estimate what you might already know.

In this case, asking about editing HDV might also be better posted and answered in the editing forums. Your specific version of FCP and OS might also help give us a better idea - but the quick answer is that you need at least FCP 5 for editing JVC HDV, and there are still some issues people are having that you should be aware of before buying it into it and assuming it will just work. It won't be hard to find a little reading on this subject in this forum....
(PS- the first version of finalcut HD was for panasonic DVCPROHD)

Good luck!
Old June 19th, 2007, 09:04 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Sofia Dedorson View Post
And, another thing, I've got an Imac G5. What do I need to be able to edit my HDV films in it, its got Final Cut Pro (need I Final Cut HD?) What do I need?
You can use iMovie. You don't "need" Final Cut, but you'll probably want it. And Welcome!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems