DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   JVC HD100( Focusing ) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/97669-jvc-hd100-focusing.html)

Ryan Page June 27th, 2007 02:29 PM

JVC HD100( Focusing )

hi ,

i'm planning to buy hd100 this week ,
is hd100 just manual focus camera ?
if yes , how to focus ? ( i know how to focus ) but what about moving person - object , or panning camera and focusing on target ?
thanks

Paul Jefferies June 27th, 2007 02:34 PM

Manual focus only (quite easy with the focus assist switched on).

Justin Ferar June 27th, 2007 06:03 PM

Focusing 101;

Zoom in all the way on the object or the correct area. Focus up. Pull out and compose your shot. As long as you have set the back focus (flange back) correctly you will now be in focus along the entire zoom range.

Just make sure to read the manual regarding flange back.

Stephan Ahonen June 27th, 2007 11:27 PM

I believe original poster was asking about following a moving subject with focus. The answer is that it's a matter of experience. Shoot with manual focus long enough and you'll just know exactly how much to turn the lens to hit focus or follow something moving toward or away from you. Tons of people do it every day, myself included, you just need to work at it.

David Scattergood June 28th, 2007 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephan Ahonen (Post 703988)
I believe original poster was asking about following a moving subject with focus. The answer is that it's a matter of experience. Shoot with manual focus long enough and you'll just know exactly how much to turn the lens to hit focus or follow something moving toward or away from you. Tons of people do it every day, myself included, you just need to work at it.

Definitely, and the rewards are much better than auto focus (which can look pretty bad on zoom in's - I shot footage a while back using auto focus and it merely dipped in and out of focus when zooming into the subject - I think the lighting foxed it somewhat).
I'm almost there with this skill - just remember which way to turn the lens depending on which was the subject is moving....and be delicate with it!

Bill Ravens June 28th, 2007 06:23 AM

"Shoot with manual focus long enough and you'll just know exactly how much to turn the lens to hit focus or follow something moving toward or away from you. Tons of people do it every day..."

This is a pretty tricky technique, since the lens focus ring is non-linear. The closer you get to infinity, the less rotation you need to keep a moving object in focus.

Mehrad Raissi June 28th, 2007 07:25 AM

thanks paul , justin , stephan , david and bill .
i give it a shot .

Josh Meredith June 28th, 2007 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Page (Post 703781)
hi ,

i'm planning to buy hd100 this week ,
is hd100 just manual focus camera ?
if yes , how to focus ? ( i know how to focus ) but what about moving person - object , or panning camera and focusing on target ?
thanks

I had to adjust focus on a moving subject for a recent TV commercial. The camera was on a jib/crane and started out above my head, so looking through the eyepiece or flip-out widow was impossible. I had a monitor on the ground, but not good enough to focus with.

So I took electrician's tape, and made X-marks where the talent was to start walking, and where they were supposed to stop. Then I used a tape measure to figure out the distance between the camera & the two tape marks. I have found that if back-focus is correct, then you really can rely on the measurement marks on the focus ring.

Thus, rather than re-focus for every take, I simply started with the focus ring on the measurement setting for the talent's starting point, and as he walked, I moved the jib from the front (camera end, rather than weight-end), while gradually rolling the focus ring to the measurement setting of his stopping point. We did numerous takes, and I found each take followed his movements in near perfect focus.

Stephan Ahonen June 28th, 2007 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ravens (Post 704079)
This is a pretty tricky technique, since the lens focus ring is non-linear. The closer you get to infinity, the less rotation you need to keep a moving object in focus.

You get used to that too, though I certainly wish it was more linear. Well, except when you're trying to focus to infinity.

Adam Grunseth June 29th, 2007 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ravens (Post 704079)
"Shoot with manual focus long enough and you'll just know exactly how much to turn the lens to hit focus or follow something moving toward or away from you. Tons of people do it every day..."

After a while you get used to it. Its like driving a stick shift- at first you really have to concentrate and thing about what your doing, and your going to kill it and grind the gears a few times. But eventually it just becomes second nature and you don't even think about it.