GY-HD100 & Canon Box lens......! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old June 30th, 2007, 11:05 PM   #1
New Boot

GY-HD100 & Canon Box lens......!

Hey guys......
Well i was on a shoot last week and lying around in the studio was a new Canon DIGI SUPER 22XS HD box lens (7.3mm-161mm & its got 2X as well....!)), i didn't have a lot of time, so i quickly grabbed my 1/3"-2/3" lens mount adapter, threw it on the camera, then prayed there was enough clearance around the viewfinder, and bingo....!, it went straight on....!!
You do need to use studio style zoom and focus pan handles but in the end you have a killer long lens setup.....!, as for iris i'm not quite sure but i think you can get a Canon Zoom or Focus handle with an iris control on it.....??
check out the pics......try not to laugh too hard......;-)

Paul Moss
Attached Thumbnails
GY-HD100 & Canon Box lens......!-hd-100-canon-box-lens.jpg   GY-HD100 & Canon Box lens......!-hd-100-canon-box-lens-2.jpg  

Paul Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2007, 11:33 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

That's the first time I've ever seen such a configuration. Thanks for sharing this, Paul! Much appreciated,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2007, 11:36 PM   #3
Major Player

No.... I don't think we need to laugh.
It is beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Laszlo
Laszlo Horvath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2007, 12:57 AM   #4
Trustee

..wow...

my mouth is gaping .. just lookin at it.
Ted Ramasola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2007, 09:22 AM   #5
Space Hipster

How'd the image look? Did you roll any video?
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2007, 11:50 AM   #6
Major Player

Is that a lens designed to be used to ENG form factor cameras rather than studio cameras? It doesn't quite have the same mount as the box lenses I work with.

As for iris control, you can usually take the cover off the lens and see the iris servo. Don't worry about breaking anything, these things are meant to be field serviceable. When you're going on the air in a couple hours you don't have time to send it back to Canon, you have time to have your engineer pop the cover and start troubleshooting. That's why all these TV trucks and studios have engineers on hand.

Anyway... I wanna see someone put a 70X on this thing.
Stephan Ahonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2007, 02:31 PM   #7
Regular Crew

This frankencamera would be great to shoot craters on the moon! :-)
Point Zero Pictures
http://www.pointzeropictures.com
Miklos Philips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2007, 08:28 PM   #8
Major Player

Not really. Don't let the size fool you, it will only zoom to 322mm with the extender in. That'll just about fill the frame vertically but you'll still need a bit more zoom to count craters.

As far as box lenses go a 22x is pretty weak actually. I've shot with 70x lenses that go up to over 1200mm with the extender in.
Old July 2nd, 2007, 06:44 AM   #9
New Boot

Sorry guys....
I didn't roll any tape on it, as i was in a studio and was really pushed for time, i just wanted to see if it would fit on the camera.
As Stephan said its not a really long box lens, but you could get a 42X Fuji ENG style lens that i think would fit on the JVC giving you a theoretical focal length of 2052mm (taking into account 2X extender on lens and 1.8X magnification with 2/3" adapter)
Now that would be something to see.......i might try it....!
Paul
Old July 2nd, 2007, 04:42 PM   #10
Major Player

Sigh, do I have to explain focal length again? The size of the chips doesn't magically change your focal length. Changing your focal length changes your focal length. The stock Fuji lens zooms in to 88mm, regardless of whether it looks like a 600mm SLR lens or whatever. Fuji's 42x13.5mm lens zooms in to 1132mm with an extender, regardless of whether you mount it on a 1/3" or 2/3" camera.

The sooner people get this in their heads and instead use angle of view to compare focal lengths across sensor sizes, the happier I'll be.

On a side note, a smaller sports broadcaster around here has Fuji's older SD 36x10.5mm lens. It's a serious piece of glass, needs a special tripod plate with a support built in. Takes great pictures though.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 03:21 AM   #11
New Boot

Oh please Stephan no don't explain yourself..... but read any of the big lens manufacturers focal length comparisons charts and they all make references to comparative focal lengths in 1/2", 2/3" & 35mm, yes i know the focal length is the same....blah blah blah....get over it...!
Let me correct myself for professor Stephan.......FOV is the same as a 2052mm lens on a 2/3"camera.....
Paul
Old July 5th, 2007, 09:48 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Nice one Paul

Hey there Paul,

Looks like a bloody rocket launcher. Thanks for setting it up and getting a photo of it. Looks pretty cool!!
Matt Norman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems