DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Capturing HDV 24p (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/98126-capturing-hdv-24p.html)

Alex Dunn July 3rd, 2007 04:48 PM

Capturing HDV 24p

Gents,

I learned the hard way that although an NLE system may support HDV, and 24p, they may not support BOTH for your camera.

When I capture my HDV 24p footage from my JVC HD110u into MediaStudioPro 8, I get unusable garbage at 59.95 fps. The audio track is fine, but the video track is double timed and actually plays through twice as the audio track plays once. (It captures 30p just fine.) I tried the 2:3 dropdown option: it's grayed out, disabled. Can anyone tell me why this is happening. This is the only reason I bought MSP8, I want a refund!
Ulead told me to use the capture software supplied by JVC and then import into Editor. Thanks a lot!

Alas, I'm moving on. From what I can tell, Avid Liquid is the best to capture and edit JVC HDV 24p video. Does anyone agree with that statement?
If not, what is the best capture/NLE for me?

Josh Meredith July 3rd, 2007 11:09 PM

I use Sony Vegas 7 to capture & edit my HD100's footage. I've got a midrange laptop, and a desktop that was cutting edge about 3 or 4 years ago. The laptop has 768MB of RAM, the desktop has 1gig. Both capture HDV flawlessly, at any framerate. The laptop gets a little sluggish when editing 24p footage, but edits 30p footage as smoothly as it does DV. The desktop handles both really well.

[QUOTE=Alex Dunn;706624]Gents,

I learned the hard way that although an NLE system may support HDV, and 24p, they may not support BOTH for your camera./QUOTE]

Henry Grevemberg July 4th, 2007 10:41 AM

cineform's hdlink...

w/ PPro 2 cured a lot of problems for me. i was having strange stuttering anomalies that would corrupt the original file, and the same 59.95 frame rate problem that you mentioned. capturing with vlc solved it, but i found out later that it was dropping frames/out of sync. PPro2 w/cineform is bulletproof, and you don't have to install the notorious MS netframework 2 (required for vegas)..

Ted Ramasola July 4th, 2007 10:53 AM

Edius pro 4.2 is a stable system for HDV from HD100. Been using premier for more than 10 years. Felt sad it wasnt up to the job for me. I still use the After effects for compositing though. The HDLink from cineform is a reliable M2t capture utility. Better than both premier and edius.

Jon Jaschob July 4th, 2007 11:07 AM

PPro 2 and ASpectHD works great on older machines.
Jon

Casey Krugman July 5th, 2007 08:39 AM

Dr-100

I'm a Final Cut guy, and I gotta tell you, the easiest (and really only way that I've found) to get in that footage is using the DR-100. I know the price sucks, but god does it make it easier to work with. I tried even just capturing 30p, 60p, and 24p and none of them worked as easily and intuitively as the firestore option. If you can afford it, get it.

Alex Dunn July 5th, 2007 10:19 PM

Any Liquid users out there using HD110 at 24p? How about Xpress Pro, I hear it doesn't support jvc's 24p at all. True?

Edward Mendoza July 7th, 2007 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey Krugman (Post 707386)
I'm a Final Cut guy, and I gotta tell you, the easiest (and really only way that I've found) to get in that footage is using the DR-100. I know the price sucks, but god does it make it easier to work with. I tried even just capturing 30p, 60p, and 24p and none of them worked as easily and intuitively as the firestore option. If you can afford it, get it.

Hi there Casey. . . .

I've been asking around and trying to find out: how does the Firestore work in conjunction with your NLE? I've been trying to figure out the whole mystery as to what is the best solution for HDV 24p in the post-production process and I keep coming across the Firestore solution. Are you able to edit 24p HDV files from your Firestore in Final Cut Pro? Does it accept 24p HDV? Last I saw FCP 5 only supported HDV 30p (or 30i, I think); the just released FCP 6 does support 24p HDV from what I understand. But if you had Firestore beforehand, were you able to edit in FCP 5 because you weren't dealing with firewire tape ingestion, but rather data files? I edit on Media Composer and have been pretty frustrated that I haven't been able to record in 24p HDV because it doesn't support it. Does recording on Firestore change this? I appreciate your time and feedback. . . . .

Jim Boda July 7th, 2007 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Dunn (Post 707752)
Any Liquid users out there using HD110 at 24p? How about Xpress Pro, I hear it doesn't support jvc's 24p at all. True?

Avid liquid user here...I haven't done any 24p hdv stuff yet (still haven't installed my 7.2 upgrade). But, from what I've read...Liquid and Edius pro systems should be the best native environment for HDV 24p.

Alex Dunn July 8th, 2007 05:04 PM

Thanks, Jim. But before I spend another dime, I need to hear from someone who has used Liquid to capture AND edit HDV 24p from a JVC. I know you're out there? Please lay it on us?

Steve Mullen July 8th, 2007 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Dunn (Post 708881)
Thanks, Jim. But before I spend another dime, I need to hear from someone who has used Liquid to capture AND edit HDV 24p from a JVC. I know you're out there? Please lay it on us?

BEEN DOING IT FOR ALMOST A YEAR.

EDIUS 4 as well.

Just avoid MC and Xpress Pro -- and the $99 NLEs.

Alex Dunn July 23rd, 2007 05:34 PM

Steve, you're my new best friend. Viva Las Vegas!

Dennis Tzeng July 23rd, 2007 08:12 PM

Cineform Aspect HD with Premiere Pro 2 works well for me.

Also I have captured footage from JVC HD110U into Final Cut Pro 5.1 as well, I haven't encountered any problems yet, but haven't tested it thoroughly. Some people have said that they have had problems with it cutting off the 24P footage.

Can anyone elaborate further on the Final Cut Pro and the JVC HD110U 24P footage?

Casey Krugman August 6th, 2007 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Mendoza (Post 708285)
Are you able to edit 24p HDV files from your Firestore in Final Cut Pro? Does it accept 24p HDV? Last I saw FCP 5 only supported HDV 30p (or 30i, I think); the just released FCP 6 does support 24p HDV from what I understand. But if you had Firestore beforehand, were you able to edit in FCP 5 because you weren't dealing with firewire tape ingestion, but rather data files?

Yes, the Firestore does take in and output 720p24 hdv footage from the camera. No need to ingest, however the files are not raw by any sense of the word. It is simply taking the files that you would normally have gotten via tape capture, so its still HDV.

Still waiting for the uncompressed portable hardrive option.

John Carrithers August 7th, 2007 11:30 PM

FCP stated supporting HDV 24p as of version 5.1. For most of the corporate commercial projects I shoot I use 30P so I don't have to worry about pull down when going to tape or DVD. However, a couple weeks ago I did shoot a project 24p (it's been a while). It digitized and edited just fine in FCP 5.1.4 on my laptop and a firewire drive.

John