Charging HD100 In Foreign Countires at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old July 8th, 2007, 10:50 PM   #1
New Boot

Charging HD100 In Foreign Countires

Over the next few months I'm going to be working on a project in Kyrgystan, China, Nepal and India. I'm curious to know a few things about charging the Hd100 in foreign countries. I have a pro-x GP-2LAJ battery charger and two big batteries I use on the anton bauer mount attached to the back of my hd100. The battery charger has a cord with three prongs instead of the normal two that you find on most electrical devices in the states. For this trip I will have to use a number of different electrical adapters but the problem is none of them have a three prong configuration for something like my GP-SLAJ battery charger. My question has two parts

1. Does anyone know of a voltage converter that can take three prong North American cords and fit them comfortably in a variety of Asian outlets? There are a vast number of two prong voltage adapters out there for more common electrical devices I know, but any three prong ones?

2. My Chinese electrical converter fits nicely onto the top two prongs and would likely connect into a chinese outlet, or so I would hope... What are the dangers/risks associated with using a two prong north american/asian on an eletrical device that normally takes three prongs?

How have others dealt with this situation in the past? I hope the good folk at dvinfo have these answers!
Frank Bieber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2007, 12:03 AM   #2
Trustee

Here's a link that has plug adapters for everywhere in the world, both grounded (3 pin) and ungrounded (2 pin). Down the page on the left is a set for Asia, with both the grounded and ungrounded ones shown:
http://traveloasis.com/inadkit.html

The third pin is for the ground and shouldn't affect the operation of the charger if it isn't used.

Here's an article with some info and also gives voltages around the world:
http://ezinearticles.com/?Electrical...ters&id=304748

Your charger will say what voltages it accepts, e.g. 120v-240v, 50-60hz.
A charger with this specification should work anywhere in the world... except some oddball situation.

I can't offer specific info on Asia as it was Europe and Russia where I dragged around electrical appliances... chargers, faxes, etc. etc.

If you use a device that only accepts 120v, and you use a voltage converter to drop the voltage from 240 to 120, make sure the device lists 50-60hz, not just 60hz.

When going some place new with untried equipment, I think it's a good idea to try to call the company that made the equipment... that is the battery charger, and ask them if there will be any problems using it where you're going.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems