Pro HD LoLux : gain up to 30 - 36 and 42 db ! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old July 20th, 2007, 09:50 AM   #16
Space Hipster

If it's a firmware upgrade, why will it cost anything? The last upgrade was a simple download free from their website. I don't see why this should be any different. I, for one, would like the enhanced images in low light situations.

Marc, you mentioned you know a firmware tech at JVC who says the upgrade isn't ready yet. We're going on the info from that Studiodaily.com article that says it is. We're not doubting you, we're just wondering what the real story is behind this. I wrote to the article's author again, asking him what his source of information was. After many internet searches, his article is the only place I can find that mentions this upgrade. He has yet to reply.
Can this news be bogus?
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 03:25 PM   #17
HDV Cinema

I've realized that the phrase "light accumulating" doesn't mean a slower shutter. It is a phrase that describes many methods of reading-out sensors. Here is a brief description of a Sharp patent that works with IT (Interline Transfer) CCDs.

"The present invention provides a method of driving an interline transfer type CCD imager. According to the present invention, the maximum transferable amount of signal charges in the field accumulation mode can be increased."

Here's what's interesting -- can such techniques be applied only by a change to firmware? These big ENG deals can involve the promise of an upgrade in near future to the camcorder -- an HD250A. I doubt Scripps took delivery of 150 units the next day. JVC might only be talking about something it will show at NAB 2008.

In a similar fashion -- Sony's XDCAM EX may be being developed for an HD ENG network. (CNN launches their HD news channel this fall.) Details are really not known until the org signs-off on what they want.
Old July 20th, 2007, 03:45 PM   #18
Space Hipster

I've read that CNN is purchasing a bunch of Sony XDCAM HDs for their transition to HD. I believe CBS and ABC will as well. There was no mention of the new EX model, but with its 1/2 chips, I can see where it can be a cheaper alternative to the networks' affiliates.

According to the article that started this thread, the LoLux upgrade is indeed a firmware-only update. There was no mention of any other modifications needed to the HD200 line.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2007, 04:21 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Vandermolen View Post
I've read that CNN is purchasing a bunch of Sony XDCAM HDs for their transition to HD. I believe CBS and ABC will as well. There was no mention of the new EX model, but with its 1/2 chips, I can see where it can be a cheaper alternative to the networks' affiliates.

According to the article that started this thread, the LoLux upgrade is indeed a firmware-only update. There was no mention of any other modifications needed to the HD200 line.
Nobody has explained why LOLUX won't be released for the HD100/110 models. Doesn't the DV5000 have LOLUX? Isn't the encoder on the HD100 better than the DV5000?
Scott Jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2007, 04:33 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Jaco View Post
Nobody has explained why LOLUX won't be released for the HD100/110 models. Doesn't the DV5000 have LOLUX? Isn't the encoder on the HD100 better than the DV5000?
Probably because hd 200 and 250 are new models, and they want people to buy these new cameras... and don't want to improve older ones.

But we will see, when (if) this update will be released.
Fabrice Hoffmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2007, 03:57 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabrice Hoffmann View Post
Probably because hd 200 and 250 are new models, and they want people to buy these new cameras... and don't want to improve older ones.

But we will see, when (if) this update will be released.
Well, that shouldn't make any difference. The HD100/110 is the model most people have. It's part of the same series.

Either way, it sounds like a fun feature to play around with, but I doubt I would ever find it useful in my production business, unless it helped with the lower gain settings.
Scott Jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2007, 07:22 PM   #22
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Jaco View Post
It's part of the same series.
Actually it's not. The 200-series has a new enclosure, new DSP, new firmware that makes use of the new DSP, and a new encoder. And, possibly new CCDs.

The 110 is part of the 100-series.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems