Does anyone know how to reset the circuit breaker? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old July 16th, 2007, 06:17 PM   #1
New Boot

Does anyone know how to reset the circuit breaker?

As many of you may know, the gyhd100U has a circuit breaker instead of a fuse.

During the process of updating the firmware, things went awry and I had to disconnect the power to try to fix it. This, unfortunately, caused the circuit breaker to trip. Does anyone know how to reset it?

-Spencer
Spencer Snygg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2007, 08:34 PM   #2
Major Player

This doesn't sound good... I'm not sure that there are any publicly released firmware updates for that camera. Where did you download that from?
Eric Darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2007, 09:05 PM   #3
New Boot

JVC released a firmware update on July 7th to resolve an issue with Final Cut. Many people (including myself) were having issues with Final Cut stopping the recording of footage in the middle of some longer takes. I also have had a timecode drift issue since day one and was hoping this would resolve it.

This isn't the first time this camera tripped the circuit breaker. It happened once before in California. The service guys there fixed it while I waited. The guys in Jersey take a bit longer. It was six weeks before they even looked at it. Maybe it's not a Jersey/LA thing. Maybe it's a working for 24/being a freelancer thing.

NJ doesn't give loaner cameras out either, so I'll be losing work.

Soooo... if any of you guys know how to reset the circuit breaker rather than having to wait an hour and a half, it'd be much appreciated.

Thanks.

-Spencer
Old July 16th, 2007, 11:01 PM   #4
Major Player

That was a quiet release... Six different versions, eh? Well, I hope you get your camera reset and flashed. Keep us posted - knowing how to reset the circuit breaker would be good info.
Eric Darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 03:02 PM   #5
New Boot

Someone just sent me a note saying that there are no user serviceable circuit breakers in the camera.

This actually jives with what I heard from JVC.

One technician there said there was and two other said there wasn't. The piece that the one technician said was a circuit breaker was said to be the chip that stores the Bios by another technician. It's possible the first technician and I had a miscommunication.

When my warranty wears out, I'll take it apart and find out for sure.
Old March 2nd, 2008, 09:50 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Circuit breaker/fuse

Hey Spencer,

I just had the same problem with my HD111 (Euro version of the HD110). Upgraded the firmware, confirmed that all was ok, powered the cam down, and it won't light up again.

Did you ever find out about the circuit breaker/fuse thing? Is there anything a half-competent tech can do without going to the nearest JVC service centre? (In my case that's some way away. Like a thousand miles)
Robert Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2008, 09:44 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Fuses and circuit breakers

I don't know about the HD100, but on the HD110/111 it's a fuse. To access it you need to remove both side panels, and then access the power supply board.

The relevant pages from the JVC repair manual suggest that you also need to remove the handle covers, audio output board and heat sink. I found that this was NOT necessary.

The fuse is at the bottom right of the power supply board, marked F1. It is not a conventional fuse, but a component (don't know the technical phrase) soldered onto the PS board.

You can put a continuity meter over it to check it is working, or use a dwell meter if you don't have a continuity meter. If it gives continuity it is OK. I'm not sure how easy it would be to find a replacement, and you'd need heroic eyesight and a steady hand to remove and replace.

But at least knowing how to check it might save someone a wasted trip to a repair shop, or a few bucks in labor charges if you knew what needed doing before you got there.
Robert Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2008, 10:26 AM   #8
Major Player

Just saw this Robert - Sounds like you got info on access with a sevice book, but no go on your camera - keep us posted.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems