HD100 Firmware Update available - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old July 17th, 2007, 07:49 PM   #16
Major Player

I just did the upgrade and checked the new firmware versions

VTR 122
ENC 113

All is good!

It was kinda scarry watching the LCD visuals. It looks like it's broken when performing the upgrade!

I have a shoot next week so I'll let you know how the capture goes. I use AIC so I haven't had the problem with the gaps between clips but I have had some long wedding ceremony clips with cuts in the middle. I've been using the "DVHSCap/MpegStreamclip" method as a work around for these problem clips but it is very time consuming so I hope this is the end of those problems!
Scott Jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 08:54 AM   #17
New Boot

is it compatible with euro version? 100e.

Many thanks
Roberto Longo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 11:08 AM   #18
Major Player

Not compatible with the E models. Cameras sold in th US only, according to JVC website.
George Strother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 03:10 PM   #19
New Boot

I don't think the Euro dudes had problems because the 25 frames vs the US's 24.

I actually had problems updating and now the camera won't reboot.

The camera has has Timecode issues since day one. (there is a drift in timecode when recording to editing systems - whether it is Final Cut, Liquid, or Premiere - all the latest versions) It had been to the factory and they failed to fix it. They suggested the firmware upgrade. During this upgrade, the screen went nuts. I waited a few minutes to see if it would reboot. It didn't. I waited some more. Seven minutes went by and I thought I should try turning it off and restarting it. The power switch wouldn't turn it off. So I unplugged it.

Now it won't reboot.

So, it's off to the factory again.

So it may be that whatever was originally wrong with my camera caused difficulties in flashing. I don't know. But.. be careful.
Spencer Snygg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 05:39 PM   #20
Major Player

DUDE! You were supposed to wait about 8 minutes. Didn't you read the directions?

When the audio LED's start to flash together at 1-second intervals, the upgrade is complete. Then you're supposed to pull out the SD card and the camera reboots itself.

Edited to add: People, unless you are having Final Cut Pro capture issues, it's probably best not to update your firmware. Firmware is the heart of your camera. It's not something you mess around with for sh*t's & giggles. To perform the upgrade you must follow very specific instructions to obtain the correct upgrade version, then you must meticulously follow the directions correctly to load the new firmware into your camera.

As you can see, one guy already messed his camera up. Bummer!
Old July 18th, 2007, 10:54 PM   #21
New Boot

The instructions for my update said TWO minutes. I waited much longer than that before removing the card and it never rebooted.

But... It's with JVC now. So... we shall see.
Spencer Snygg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 04:25 AM   #22
Major Player

So here is an update!

I have good news, I just captured 2 hrs. of footage from a wedding I did last night. There are NO SPLITS in any of my clips! Not even on the long ceremony clip which was over 27 minutes.

I am used to having at least 2-3 clips per tape that require me to re-capture w/DVHScap but this is the first time I haven't had to use it!

It appears the upgrade is working great.

Note: I captured using AIC, but I tested the HDV codec also. If you use HDV, you will still have those 2-3 second gaps between clips, but you shouldn't have splits in the middle anymore.
Old July 30th, 2007, 06:08 AM   #23
Major Player

Any UK/Europe HD*** user confirm whether this is applicable to us and if so whether this helps (AIC isn't an option for us)?
I guess I should phone IVC Europe later in the day.
Cheers.
David Scattergood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 06:42 AM   #24
Major Player

Second David's request as to whether there is an update for the E model. The E model has exactly the same FCP issues in segmenting clips.

Rob
Robert Castiglione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 04:56 PM   #25
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Castiglione View Post
Second David's request as to whether there is an update for the E model. The E model has exactly the same FCP issues in segmenting clips.

Rob
Hi Rob,

JVC in Sydney have just advised me that a new firmware update became available for PAL cameras about two weeks ago. If you check with JVC support in WA, they should be able to help you. In Sydney, they advised that JVC Australia don't release the firmware for self-installation. It has to be loaded at a service centre.

Cheers
Glenn
Glenn Krawczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 06:52 PM   #26
Major Player

Thanks, Glenn.

Great news - but living in Fremantle, I hope that this does not mean that I have to send it all the way to Sydney!

Rob
Robert Castiglione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2007, 02:00 AM   #27
Major Player

Cheers Glen....probably differs in the UK also so I'll call JVC today.
Thanks.
David Scattergood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2007, 02:31 PM   #28
Major Player

I am just tired of the effing camera breaking my tape up into separate clips during import in FCP. It is annoying, and a major time waster when I have to work with footage that way. Having 6000 clips in my bin is a major pain in my ass. JVC, you need to wake up and fix that so 1 Tape = 1 tape in my bin.

Yes I have the box unchecked in FCP for break on scene detection. I import with iMovie so I can have 1 file for 1 tape and then re-sync the audio in FCP.

I should not have to do this, I should be able to dump a tape into 1 clip like the Sony DVCAM tape I import, or other Sony cameras.

I am never buying another JVC product again and hate this effing camera. Just last week my LCD goes apeshit and wont display any information on it anymore, right n the middle of a shoot, plus I have a dead pixel now, and the damn camera ate 4 new tapes.

I have the wonderful 110U, and it went to JVC for a firmware update 2 months ago.
Jim Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2007, 04:44 PM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Fields View Post
I am just tired of the effing camera breaking my tape up into separate clips during import in FCP. It is annoying, and a major time waster when I have to work with footage that way. Having 6000 clips in my bin is a major pain in my ass. JVC, you need to wake up and fix that so 1 Tape = 1 tape in my bin.

Yes I have the box unchecked in FCP for break on scene detection. I import with iMovie so I can have 1 file for 1 tape and then re-sync the audio in FCP.

I should not have to do this, I should be able to dump a tape into 1 clip like the Sony DVCAM tape I import, or other Sony cameras.

I am never buying another JVC product again and hate this effing camera. Just last week my LCD goes apeshit and wont display any information on it anymore, right n the middle of a shoot, plus I have a dead pixel now, and the damn camera ate 4 new tapes.

I have the wonderful 110U, and it went to JVC for a firmware update 2 months ago.
I feel for you man but other than the fcp issue, I would extrapolate that most of your JVC qualms are isolated to that particular camera.

Dead pixels just need to be mapped out. I have owned sony, canon, and ikegami, all had dead pixels (along with other problems). At least with the JVC, you can deactivate those nasty pixels.

I hope your able to get your JVC problems ironed out. I know how it feels to have faulty equipment....its like my life.

Jonathan

P.S. - A DTE drive makes life so effing nice :)
Old August 1st, 2007, 04:36 AM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Fields View Post

You have 6,000 clips per tape? What are you shooting?

I can understand you're frustration. I still think the HD100 series gives you the best picture for a 5K budget.
Scott Jaco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems