Hope for a cheap(er) v-wedge plate for the 110U! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old July 19th, 2007, 10:21 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Hope for a cheap(er) v-wedge plate for the 110U!

So I have been painfully searching the web for any way to get a v-wedge mount to go on the bottom of my 110U. Today, I think I may have hit pay dirt: http://www.cavision.com/rods/RSPU.htm

It says it slides on the Sony VCT-14U, and seems to have the correct screw placements for the 110!

I emailed Cavision to see what they say, but what do you all think?

Matthew
Matthew Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 07:54 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Bernie from Cavision emailed me back tonight, and said, yes that part will fit in the Sony VTC-U14 plate. Therefore, I am now going to order it! I will post an update when it arrives and I get it on my 110U.

Matthew
Old July 20th, 2007, 05:32 PM   #3
Regular Crew

V-mount

I'm using this v-mount right now with my 110 and an older sony quick release plate on a cartoni focus head. It works great and you can even add rails to the v-mount if you'd like.

The only drawback to this plate is that it did not come with screws to attach it to the camera body. I tried the local hardware store and couldn't find anything that would fit quite right, so I ended up getting the screws from a JVC service center for an exorbitant price.
Brendan Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 09:35 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Walsh View Post
I'm using this v-mount right now with my 110 and an older sony quick release plate on a cartoni focus head. It works great and you can even add rails to the v-mount if you'd like.

The only drawback to this plate is that it did not come with screws to attach it to the camera body. I tried the local hardware store and couldn't find anything that would fit quite right, so I ended up getting the screws from a JVC service center for an exorbitant price.
That's great to know. I ordered it from B&H today, but they are out of stock (something about, "we only order it when someone orders it" duh, that's what I call a "special order", not out of stock!) so I'm probably about two weeks away from getting it. I am thinking of trying Radio Shack for the screws. It seems like they would carry that small sized screw.

Matthew
Old July 21st, 2007, 12:20 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Rogers View Post
Bernie from Cavision emailed me back tonight, and said, yes that part will fit in the Sony VTC-U14 plate. Therefore, I am now going to order it! I will post an update when it arrives and I get it on my 110U.

Matthew
Good to kmow Matthew. How much you paid for this little "wedge"?

Laszlo
Laszlo Horvath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2007, 11:49 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo Horvath View Post
Good to know Matthew. How much you paid for this little "wedge"?
It was $75 with shipping from B&H. Much better than $200 from JVC!

Matthew
Old July 22nd, 2007, 08:17 AM   #7
Major Player

Wow... good deal

Thanks Matthew

Laszlo
Laszlo Horvath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 03:58 PM   #8
Regular Crew

So I got the part yesterday, but now I can't find the correct size screw. 8-32 is too big and while 6-32 isn't too bad, I can't find them shorter than 1/2":( What it looks like I need is 7-32 x 1/4" (which isn't made..sigh..) Does anyone know where I could get the screws without paying JVC $17 for 4 screws? The correct size would be wonderful.

thanks,

Matthew
Old August 15th, 2007, 04:04 PM   #9

Have you checked metric screw sizes?
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 04:18 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ravens View Post
Have you checked metric screw sizes?
I had hoped that maybe metric screws would fit, but it's hard to find that kinda stuff at Home Depot or Lowes (I even tried Radio Shack.) I could probably find what I need online, but I need to know the size first.

Matthew
Old August 16th, 2007, 02:42 AM   #11
Regular Crew

I use an "ENG rig" (see http://varizoom.com/products/supports/vzengrig.html) with my HD100. BTW, it's very comfortable because it takes away the load from your right hand.

The screw size is "M 4 x 10" with a countersunk head. M stands for metric.

Andreas
Andreas Nistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2007, 11:11 PM   #12
Trustee

if the screws you get are too long, cut them. put a nut on, cut the screw, run the nut off the end to clean the threads. I knew that at age 10 or 12. and yes they are metric. run some english threads in and you'll mess it up.
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 08:42 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Rogers View Post
I had hoped that maybe metric screws would fit, but it's hard to find that kinda stuff at Home Depot or Lowes

Matthew
I ran into this on another project. That's when I found out that home improvement centers are not the same as hardware stores. Try a True Value or an Ace or something in your area that is about hardware not home improvement per se. For metric I connected on a local True Value.

Good luck.
Stephen Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 09:51 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Knapp View Post
I ran into this on another project. That's when I found out that home improvement centers are not the same as hardware stores. Try a True Value or an Ace or something in your area that is about hardware not home improvement per se. For metric I connected on a local True Value.
Actually, this is really funny, I was looking for 4x10mm countersunk screws on the internet and guess what kept coming up....hobby stores! So I went down to my local Hobby Town USA and they had the perfect screws (They are made of RC cars) $2.50 for 6 screws. Can't beat that!

Matthew
Old August 21st, 2007, 10:17 PM   #15
Trustee

uh, hardware - screws, bolts, nuts come in different grades or strength ratings. the bigger the number, the stronger the bolt. grade 2 is the weakest, and is usually sold by the pound. grade 5 is middle ground, and grade 8+ is the upper end. for the small stuff, I preffer stainless steel. won't round out like cheaper screws, won't rust in the hole, and I never doubt its going to hold. The last thing I'd use is aluminum screws or bolts for a camera.... and yes they make them. They work fine for holding the load they are rated for, but when it comes to camera mounting parts, is stainless or grade 8 or I pass. not worth saving 15 cents...
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems