DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   110 vs. 200? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/99747-110-vs-200-a.html)

Julian Maytum July 25th, 2007 07:47 AM

110 vs. 200?

Hi all,

After a long absence from the video world I finally sold my old GY-DV500 and am ready to move into the HD world.

I have been really looking hard at all the cameras and JVC has won out again as far as I am concerned.

I have had a long hard look at the lineup and I am really torn between the 110 and the 200. I would much rather not get the 200 as it really is a major price difference. To the point where it would delay me getting into the game for a good six months at least.

The big thing for me is that the 200 can shoot 60p whereas the 110 can only shoot at 24p.

My question is, am I really going to notice this when shooting video that has a lot of motion? I've seen some absolutely gorgeous video shot from the 100/110 from this forum (lurk lurk :P) but I really am concerned about the maximum 24p ability. Is this something I really shouldn't be worrying about?

Thanks in advance and thanks to you all for making this a wonderful place to learn all kinds of amazing things.

Julian Maytum

Scott Jaco July 25th, 2007 08:34 AM

Hi,

The HD100/110 actually records at a top frame rate of 30p which isn't so bad with the Motion Smoothing turned on.

Ted Ramasola July 25th, 2007 08:35 AM

100 and 110 can do 30P

Ted

Alex Humphrey July 25th, 2007 12:55 PM

HD110 or 200?

double post....

Alex Humphrey July 25th, 2007 12:57 PM

HD110 or 200?

Julian,

I've got a HD110 and like it alot. If I had the extra money, and if apple had the codec for 60p hdv at the time I would have gone for the HD-200. I just did a friends softball game. Did 30p at 1/100th of a second shutter speed and panned with the runners. Set up outfield behind 2nd base. Looks good. I also did instant replays in slow motion 50% to 20% of actually speed. Turn OFF ALL motion smoothing (in camera) especially in the slow motion (inside your NLE) and it looks good to me. Everyone else (who is paying me) prefer the progressive look.... Looks like a movie and not Uncle Joe's Home Videos. So I don't think it's much to worry about unless you want excellent slow motion. I don't think much of the motion smoothing feature... If you want a blurry pan, keep your shutter speed slow like 1/60th or slower. I don't like that look, and if you want a good slow motion later, motion smoothing and slow shutter speeds looks hidious in slow motion. I'll try to finish up this project and post a short compressed section version having some 30p running and 30p slow motion. But yes, I would love to have 60p for super smooth slow motion. If you are wanting a more fluid look in general, well, 60p or 60i.... but who wants 60i anyway? The last of the 60i tv's are being sold at walmart in the discount section. All LCD's and Plasmas DVD's, HD-DVD's and Blu-Rays are progressive, just 60p, not 30p.

Jonathan Nelson July 25th, 2007 01:42 PM

We only use the 720p60 setting when we need buttery smooth slow motion.

Other than that, the 30p is good enough for most situations and I find the video to be very smooth.

I would just save some money and get the 110.

Both are great cameras and other than a few features of the 200, they feel like the same camera to me. Even the video quality looks remarkably the same even though the 200 has a better A/D converter. We use the hd200 along with our hd100's all the time.

Just my two cents.

Julian Maytum July 26th, 2007 10:31 AM

Thanks very much for the replies folks.. awesome as per usual!

I think I am going to break down now and do some damage to my credit card and pick one up from B&H :P

Any alternate places to get a tripod plate btw?

Julian

Glen Vandermolen July 26th, 2007 11:00 AM

If you're buying the HD200, I noticed mine fits onto Sony broadcast camera mount plates. Weird that it will fit perfectly, but it did open up a lot more tripod options here at work.