New GY-HM700 Camcorder - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old February 2nd, 2009, 09:29 AM   #91
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Smith View Post
I can't read it clearly but I think I see 4.4 on the zoom ring, wider than 5.5 on the fuji 16x.
But not much wider than the Fuji 16x with the .82 converter attached (4.5 mm).

If you want a really wide 1/3" lens, it seems the Fuji 13x is still the only game in town.
Old February 6th, 2009, 10:11 PM   #92
Regular Crew

gyhm700

any update about trading in gyhd 251
for new HM700?

Also I had heaps of problems with noise levels in underlight (or darkish) areas of footage from the 251e, very dissapointing, but since setting master black to -3 I have noticed a big difference in lack of noise, at the expense of becoming a less sensitive camera.
Anyone have any comments on this?
Steven Lyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 10:43 PM   #93
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyons View Post
any update about trading in gyhd 251 for new HM700?
I think the trade-in program will be either one of two industry standard
procedures: either ebay.com or our own private classifieds section.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2009, 11:31 AM   #94
Major Player

why should they trade it in?

The demand for the new HM series will grow by itself - event from existing HDxxx users.

uli
Uli Mors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 03:16 PM   #95
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
HM700 Link is up at JVC's Site (With Pics!!!)

JVC Professional Features page

Ok, I guess this is real now. No more skulking around foreign sites with CH wondering/worrying if all is well.
Old February 10th, 2009, 03:48 PM   #96
Major Player

Does anyone know what the second file format extension is when using the HM100 or HM700? The cameras are obviously .mov compatible, but I'm confused as to what we get on the PC side. What does "ISO based" mean? On the HM700 page it states that it can record to XDCAM EX compatible .mp4 files only with the optional SxS recorder. What is the extension going to be when shooting to the SDHC cards?
Brian Tori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 04:00 PM   #97
Regular Crew

looks SWEET... actually looks just like I expected, but the specs look SWEET.....

Can not wait to see footage....
Harry Pallenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 04:12 PM   #98
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Tori View Post
Does anyone know what the second file format extension is when using the HM100 or HM700? The cameras are obviously .mov compatible, but I'm confused as to what we get on the PC side. What does "ISO based" mean? On the HM700 page it states that it can record to XDCAM EX compatible .mp4 files only with the optional SxS recorder. What is the extension going to be when shooting to the SDHC cards?
OUCH: $7995.00!!!!!

Good question Brian. That would be very frustrating if I have to buy a extra $1700 SXS recorder in order to get footage into Avid from the 700.

OUCH: $9600.00!!!!! with SXS!! (Although it does over and undercrank)

And I haven't even bought batteries yet.

Price is much higher than I expected. Not saying it's not worth it because we haven't seen any footage from it.
Old February 10th, 2009, 04:20 PM   #99
Major Player

Thanks for the link Shaun!

Yes it would be really pricey if you have to buy a SXS recorder in order to use this camera with Avid. Perhaps there is a workaround to use these Quicktime files with other NLE's. Other then that, what a great camera!

Maybe I should start looking for used V-lock batteries and a charger already...
Derran Rootring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 05:14 PM   #100
Major Player

Very, very impressive. It seems priced to compete with the detachable-lens PMW-EX3 by Sony. It's $325 cheaper than the EX3 (using B&H's current price for the EX3).

It's got a marvellous set of features, the old ones that we know and love plus bigger LCD, better viewfinder, Clip View functions, Retro Start Cache (no more missed shots!), etc., etc.

As I said, very impressive. And I guess sticking with the 1/3" chips looks after their existing ProHD client base who might have already made an investment in 1/3" glass.

The main thing I'm interested in from Tim's testing today is the low light performance and resolution at 1080p - both specifically compared to that of the 1/2" chips of the EX1/EX3.

If the JVC engineers have done a good enough job with the LoLux and spatial offset technologies to place these two points "somewhat in the same ballpark" as the EX3, I would definitely favour the HM700. (I love that new, easy workflow in FCP!)

Which is why I'd also like to see Phil Bloom put an HM700 through its paces (as Phil is very experienced with both ProHD and EX1/EX3).
David Knaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 05:37 PM   #101
Regular Crew

Wow. Sorry JVC, but it looks like someone dropped the ball on this one. ONLY native FCP recording without an extra $1500? Would it have really killed you to have added another format, such as MXF? Wouldn't that have opened up the horizons a little instead of limiting them?

What I really don't understand is why the smaller camera has this option, but the larger one does not?

I don't use a mac and I don't buy products specifically designed for macs. Looks like I'm going to have to see about buying a separate digital recorder since this purchase has been taken off the table. Maybe I'd think about it if they realize their mistake and add additional recording options, although I don't know how that fits in with their licencing deals.

It's a beautiful camera and I love the idea of it, although it doesn't fit into my work flow at all and I believe I am speaking for a lot of other people who have similar work flows that I do.
Taylor Brush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 07:08 PM   #102
Major Player

From JVC Press Release:

"By attaching the optional KA-MR100 dockable media recorder, it is possible to record Sony XDCAM EX compatible .MP4 files onto high-speed SxS memory cards, while at the same time recording the same .MP4 files to inexpensive SDHC cards. Having two copies instantaneously available provides more versatility in the field with the assurance of always having a back-up. "

I'm confused. Maybe you don't need the SXS to record XDCAM EX 35mbit. Hopefully we'll get more clarification from JVC or Tim and Chris Hurd,
Old February 10th, 2009, 07:17 PM   #103
Regular Crew

Interesting. Avid does import .MOV files...but, it would be nice to have the option of shooting in a native editing format. Someone needs to work on some software that will remove the quicktime wrapper w/ an alternate native wrapper. "Unclipwrap"?
Jim Boda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 07:21 PM   #104
Regular Crew

Can't wait to see footage from this camera. I'm very excited.
Old February 10th, 2009, 08:12 PM   #105
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Tori View Post
You act like PC's can't use .mov files. They can and do so quite easily. In fact, if the camera is using prores, you should be able to drop that into any NLE that is quicktime aware.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems