New GY-HM700 Camcorder at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old January 8th, 2009, 10:13 AM   #1
Wrangler

New GY-HM700 Camcorder

There has been mention of a "big brother" to the recently announced GY-HM100.

Preliminary GY-HM700 Features:

1. Compact shoulder form factor of less than 4 kg (8.9 lbs.) in operation
2. High quality 1/3” progressive 3CCD with unique JVC’s H/V spatial offset
3. Newly developed 14x high-quality interchangeable lens by Canon
4. Newly developed high-quality LCOS viewfinder
5. Newly developed large LCD display
6. Double-memory hybrid recording system using optional KA-MR100G SxS memory card recorder
7. HD SDI output, SD down-convert capability over IEEE 1394 interface, USB 2.0 interface

The GY-HM700 is scheduled for delivery in March 2009. More details will be released by JVC in February 2009.

JVC Press Release - New Final-Cut-Pro™-Ready Solid State Camcorders
Old January 8th, 2009, 11:52 AM   #2
Space Hipster

I figured it was only a matter of time before JVC released their own sold-state camcorders. But darn, I wish it had at least 1/2" chips. Is that "spacial offset" technology similar to what Panasonic does to their HVX line?
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2009, 05:21 PM   #3
Major Player

I concur with Glen. Part of the original appeal, for me, of ProHD over HVX (besides the expensive P2 media) was the 1280 X 720 resolution being delivered on actual 1280 X 720 chips.

Mind you, I think that there is definite validity to spatial offset technology. Definite validity. But I was really hoping that JVC was going to go with 1/2" chips with actual 1920 X 1080 pixels - a la Sony's PMW-EX1/3 range. Especially for the improved low light performance (of 1/2" sensors over 1/3" sensors).

The big positive of these new JVC models is the solid state recording. No more "mid-clip breaks" when capturing from tape using FCP!

There are so many benefits with ProHD and the only two real downsides for me with the original ProHD cams were low-light performance and tape capture problems with FCP. JVC have just solved one of them (capture) with the new models and I'm hoping Tim can test a pre-release HM700 to see whether newer technology has improved the low-light performance of 1/3" chips.

I'm also keen to know if JVC's implementation of spatial offset technology - "JVC’s unique H/V spatial offset" - will be superior to Panasonic's implementation of spatial offset.

I've seen side-by-side comparisons of HVX200 1080p on 1/3" chips against PMW-EX1 1080p on 1/2" chips:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/802600-post1.html

In that test, the HVX200 was very noticeably softer. But I have a lot of faith in the JVC engineers, so I'd love to see side-by-side 1080p testing of HM700, HVX200 and PMW-EX1 for low-light response and comparative resolution, if at all possible.

Anyway, one thing is for sure. Anyone looking to upgrade their camera in 2009 is going to be spoiled for choices!
David Knaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2009, 05:29 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Knaggs View Post
But I was really hoping that JVC was going to go with 1/2" chips with actual 1920 X 1080 pixels - a la Sony's PMW-EX1/3 range.
I believe the number one appeal of this camera is the physical size. With the progressive chip, all the other format support, PCM audio, and answers to a lot of the complaints of the previous generation of cameras in this range, this camera fills a need as yet unanswered.

It would not have been smart, in my view, to go up against Sony and come in second. Because of its size and auto features, this camera can support just about every other camera on the market and I predict -- providing the camera does what it is supposed to do -- will be a market leader in this new class.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
SORRY, this post was meant for the other new JVC camera!!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Last edited by Jack Walker; January 9th, 2009 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Posted in wrong thread
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2009, 05:45 PM   #5
Space Hipster

I was able to have a hands-on inspection of the Panny HCM-150 the other night. For 1/3" chips, it has amazing low-light capabilities. If the JVC LoLux can approximate the 150, it should be pretty good, but I do like the depth of field you can get with larger chips.
Old January 8th, 2009, 05:57 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Vandermolen View Post
I was able to have a hands-on inspection of the Panny HCM-150 the other night. For 1/3" chips, it has amazing low-light capabilities. If the JVC LoLux can approximate the 150, it should be pretty good, but I do like the depth of field you can get with larger chips.
I like the depth of field you get with the smaller chips.

Sidney Lumet said that he prepares shooting in HD video over film because of the greater depth of field he gets with video. (See extra features on the "Before the Devil Knows Your Dead" DVD.)

It has been my experience that you get greater depth of field with the smaller chips. Larger chips seem to decrease the depth of field, causing all kinds of problems in some situations.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2009, 08:05 PM   #7
Major Player

Come on JVC take it to the next level

no more 1/3inch chips and non pcm audio. These are awesome camera's thus the reason I have one, but anything that smacks of pixel shifting I'm not interested in, the higher 35mbps bitrate is a good progression and obvious with Discovery etc accepting it, but to keep in the race definitely need a min of 1/2inch chips, and pcm audio!
Adam Letch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2009, 09:04 PM   #8
Trustee

I wonder what the price will be and how it compares in low light to the current JVC cameras. Also maybe thats why I got a special offer from Focus tech. on their JVC on board drive, maybe they know those products have a limited life expentancy.
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 05:06 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Hope the "spatial offset" is only for 1080- and we don't lose the native pixel 1280x720. That was a big reason I've gone for ProHD over DVCProHD: the off-sets on the hvx and hpx produce an image that's just a little soft to my eye.
Rob Stowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 07:34 AM   #10
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Letch View Post
no more 1/3inch chips and non pcm audio. These are awesome camera's thus the reason I have one, but anything that smacks of pixel shifting I'm not interested in, the higher 35mbps bitrate is a good progression and obvious with Discovery etc accepting it, but to keep in the race definitely need a min of 1/2inch chips, and pcm audio!
I wonder if Discovery HD would accept a 1/3" chip cam for main acquisition, even if the bitrate is 35mps. They're pretty strict.
Old January 10th, 2009, 05:54 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Remember the Sony JVC alliance announced at IBC and JVC's SxS recorder?
Hasn't anyone noticed that JVC is going with the XDCAM EX codec?

Sony's looking to make that codec the next Beta stretching from Betamax to Betacam. They're battling with AVC and Panasonic.

I'll bet both Sony and Panasonic are courting Canon.

Doesn't anyone find it interesting that JVC announces this at CES? Think about the motives.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 08:49 PM   #12
JVC America

Quote:
I wonder if Discovery HD would accept a 1/3" chip cam for main acquisition, even if the bitrate is 35mps. They're pretty strict.
They already do with "Little People, Big World" which is shot with both the GYHD200 and GYHD250, and that's 720p 24 at 19Mbps.
Old January 10th, 2009, 09:01 PM   #13
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
Doesn't anyone find it interesting that JVC announces this at CES?
Just to keep the records straight, the introduction of the GYHM100 was done at the Final Cut Pro User Group SuperMeet in San Francisco. JVC Professional Products Company did not make any announcements at CES and the ProHD gear was only on display at the SuperMeet.

By the way, JVC Professional will next be at Sundance with the HM100 and GYHD250 cine rig from Friday, Jan. 16 to Sunday, Jan. 18th at the New York Lounge, 545-B Main St., Park City. We'll be there under the Variety Magazine banner. Come check us out!
Old January 10th, 2009, 09:25 PM   #14
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Yanagi View Post
They already do with "Little People, Big World" which is shot with both the GYHD200 and GYHD250, and that's 720p 24 at 19Mbps.
Yes, it is. But that show is already established - in it's 4th season, I think - so they might have gotten a special pass from Discovery.
Still, for a network that frowns on HDV and 1/3" chips, two of it's bigger hits - The Deadliest Catch, and Little People - use that format.
Old January 10th, 2009, 09:50 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Yes, it is. But that show is already established - in it's 4th season, I think - so they might have gotten a special pass from Discovery.
Still, for a network that frowns on HDV and 1/3" chips, two of it's bigger hits - The Deadliest Catch, and Little People - use that format.
I bet (no first hand knowledge with Discovery) that it's just like stating minimum requirements for job postings. State the best match as a minimum and see who actually shows up and go from there. Also I know some other channels state "DVCPRO-HD or HD-CAM etc" but what they really mean is the final version is in that tape format (sorry HVX-200's tape only please?) and as long as no one questions the quality of the production or image quality and no auto iris/focus/auto I think they really don't care that much. That does NOT mean they accept uprezzed however. That being said, shooting with CineAlta with super duper lenses means that they are going to take it more seriously. But in the end they want something entertaining to fill slots on budget preferably cheaper the better.
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems