GY-HM700 Pre-Production Model Test from Germany - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old February 9th, 2009, 02:05 AM   #31
Major Player

I'm guessing he is referring to pixel shifting as indicated on the HM100. I hate pixel shifting personally, but Panasonic HPX-500 seems to do well. Of course 2/3 chip (only 960x540) and a nice lens doesn't hurt either.... but if the 700 has full 720x1280 res and XDCAM EX and a new 14x Canon lens or a Fujinon 17x or better.. then I think it's something that will impress people who know.
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2009, 08:44 AM   #32
Space Hipster

I have an HPX500. It takes very nice pics. Good enough to be cleared for Silver productions for Discovery HD. But yeah, the 2/3" chips might have something to do with that. Still, if the HM700 does use pixel shifting, it should allow the SD chips to work better in low light. There's a trade-off everywhere. The 700 is beginning to sound like a huge leap in abilities compared to its predecessors. Right off the bat, it should make the Canons obsolete, the Panny's media incredibly expensive in comparison, and give the EXs a run for the money (no CMOS issues). But I still wish for 1/2" chips. You know, better depth of field, etc.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2009, 02:08 PM   #33
Regular Crew

I was also hoping for 1/2" CCD's and the AVC Intra codec. 1080 60p would have been nice, too. 1/3" CCD's keeps it in the prosumer class!

With the EX3 going for $8300. with SxS and 1/2" chips, including an autofocus and stabilized Fuji lens, I'm thinking $5,995. for the 700, with a battery and 17x lens. I wonder if the SD cards can handle slomo like the EX3.
John Markert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2009, 02:21 PM   #34
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Markert View Post
- the AVC Intra codec.

- including an autofocus and stabilized Fuji lens
All things I have ZERO interest in. If you want kitschy stabilized lenses with auto focus, go elsewhere. I want the option for REAL lens choices from my choice of suppliers with decades of experience building broadcast lenses. I also want a tried and tested professional level codec that broadcasters aren't going to scoff at. Yes, 1/2" chips would be spectacular as would 1080P60. This isn't that camera. $6000 with all the options? Hey, if they offer it at that, I'll buy two instead of one but otherwise I'll be buying one with the best lens choice for me at whatever JVC and dealers are asking. FINALLY someone is offering us 1080P, 720P, 1080i in a true shoulder camera that uses AFFORDABLE media and industry standard batteries and we're bickering over a couple of hundred bucks...
Old February 9th, 2009, 02:26 PM   #35
Major Player

I just come across this pdf document about the camera;
http://www.kovexltd.com/product_images/41/GY-HM700E.pdf

Apparently the nice 14x Canon lens is standard.
Derran Rootring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2009, 02:33 PM   #36
Space Hipster

Ture dat, Shaun. For those wanting to break into the broadcast arena, auto focus doesn't exist. It just doesn't. If I use a camera that does have that feature, it's the first thing I disable - then the auto iris.
If you truly want to work in high-end broadcast production with the best cameras, you'll need to learn how to manually operate your camera and lens.
Old February 9th, 2009, 02:40 PM   #37
Space Hipster

Nice find, Derran. I like how it says "Preliminary" in the corner. Dare I ask where you found this?
Still no mention of LoLux.
Old February 9th, 2009, 02:51 PM   #38
Major Player

Google helped me find it. ;)

I've been looking for a new camera for a while now and this could be a winner. Hopefully the files will be easy to import in Avid Media Composer as well.
Derran Rootring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2009, 03:04 PM   #39
Wrangler

Dvinfo review of HM700 tomorrow

Chris Hurd and I are going to meet with JVC tomorrow in NYC to view the HM700 (apparently the exact same pre-production sample from this German review.) Hopefully we'll have the opportunity to shoot some footage and have something for you guys to see as soon as I get back.
Old February 9th, 2009, 03:06 PM   #40
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood View Post
Chris Hurd and I are going to meet with JVC tomorrow in NYC to view the HM700 (apparently the exact same pre-production sample from this German review.) Hopefully we'll have the opportunity to shoot some footage and have something for you guys to see as soon as I get back.
Great, Tim. Please check the low light capabilities of this camera.
And please post your findings in English.
Old February 9th, 2009, 03:07 PM   #41
Inner Circle

Tim, I want your life! Congrats and I can honestly say I've never been this excited about a new camera release in the ten years I've been working in video.
Old February 9th, 2009, 05:10 PM   #42
Major Player

DV and HD switch on right side

I noticed in one of the photos form the preview from Germany that there was a switch on the right side of the camera that was labeled DV and HD. Since there was no mention of shooting DV, I'm assuming this selects the downconvert options for the firewire??

Curious, David
Old February 9th, 2009, 05:22 PM   #43
Inner Circle

Reading the stats on the new Canon lens, it seems max. aperture is f1.6 which is not an improvement from the stock Fujinon/JVC f1.4 on the tape based cameras. As well, the ND filters remain 1/4 and 1/16 which doesn't exactly scream "fast camera in need of light control"
Old February 11th, 2009, 02:14 AM   #44
Major Player

HDV/DV switch:

like the SONY Z1 / FX 1 (Menu Setting) you can determine if the firewire runs in DV or HDV Protocol.

Everything else depends on the units downconverting or recording capabilities - dont know yet.

ULi
Uli Mors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2009, 06:45 PM   #45
Regular Crew

Alex, I was told by my salesman that the 700 would fit in between the 201 and the 251. Now I see why he would want to try and off load his entire stock of cams. This thing is a weapon. I was that close to going to the Sony 270 but if this JVC can compete on price I'm in.

I am thinking it will be A$15000-A$20 000. Just like the 251 was before rumours of this cam started and the price fell off.

Hats off to JVC for creating a format that works with post production. Cheap media in .mov. I'm frankly stunned.

3.5 Kg means I don't even need to buy a new tripiod.

Currently I understand that the standard 251 lens with the fujinon adaptor will only go to 4.4? So now JVC comes standard with a lens that is "Reasonably wide". Maybe with an adaptor it'll go to 3.3 and you can say NO to the $7000 zoom and live happily ever after.

I priced a pano 202 at about A$12000 . It has 1080 25p, something I am keen on as it is where our techs say progressive HD Always should have gone. Trouble is that P2 is about A$1500 for 16 minutes of HD on thier cards! What The?????

Looking to the low light thing with interest but right about now I am sold.

Ian.
Ian Withnall is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems