Tim's HM700 review link & feedback thread - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old February 23rd, 2009, 02:50 AM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben vallack View Post
any word on how much this will retail at in the uk? In your review you mention $7999 which i guess is probably going to be around £6k/£6.5k in the uk. Thats about the price of the sony ex3 which has 1/2" chips. What are main selling points of the jvc that the ex3 doesn't have to give it a chance in this price bracket? Presumably a big aspect would be that 35mm lenses on the jvc will give more magnification than on the sony?
£4995.00 + vat
Old February 23rd, 2009, 06:03 AM   #32
Major Player

Another item for the wishlist - spoke to JVC at the show in London and asked them if it can record simultaneously on both cards in the camera, answer not at present - Very useful if you have a client who wants to take the media away immediately after a shoot, but is likely to lose something that small and you need a backup...
Paul Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 07:55 AM   #33
Wrangler

Sorry for the lateness in my response. I've shot two commercials and a music video since this article was published last week, and then I started working on another big feature right away (being shot by Bill Pope ASC BTW... I was elated to watch him light a simple wardrobe test on Friday!)
I'm sitting on the train going into Toronto right now so this seems to be the only time I'll get to respond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Pallenberg View Post
Will there be any low light footage / grabs? Or at least some personal impressions of its low light performance?
No frame grabs. I had a lunch meeting with JVC and honoured the restaurant's request that I not shoot inside. I did ask (as everyone always should.) I did however play with the HM700 in the interior setting and I would say that from what I could tell from the LCOS viewfinder the camera has much lower noise levels than the HD100 series and especially the HD200 series. I cranked up the gain on both the HM100 and HM700 and I am still impressed with the relatively clean image.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyge Floyd View Post
I too would like to request some low light frame grabs and your opinion as to how this camera performs in low light compared to the Canon XLH1 series cameras.
Sorry. No comparisons available yet. I'm sure that plenty of comparisons will come when the camera is released, but probably not from us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Humphrey View Post
any news on Canon possibly releasing the lens for sale for us 1xx/2xx series camera owners? It should mount just fine I imagine. If so, similar price to the Fujinon 17x?
I do not know the details surrounding the release of the lens except that it will be bundled and available in June. I can only assume Canon will make it available individually at some point but the best value will be in the bundle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Ash View Post
Can this cam shoot SD or is this a HD cam?
HD only with many SD downcovert options. For example the firewire port can now output downconverted DV (NTSC or PAL dependent on the HD source) and the SDI and Component outputs will also downconvert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyons View Post
Is the camera recording to sdhc still 8 bit 4.2.0?
Yes. That's XDCAM EX. As far as I know only XDCAM HD has a 4:2:2 flavour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Owens View Post
Does this mean the OS Perian component will only allow editing capabilities, not for viewing the footage; thus, the need for CS XD Decode for the viewing on PC???
Perian is for the Mac, XD Decode is for PC. Quicktime works system-wide for any application that can use it. The XDCAM EX component just allows Quicktime (in any Quicktime capable application) to play back the XDCAM EX material. Rendering in XDCAM EX is another story all together.
The non-FCP solutions I presented are decoders only and won't allow rendering into XDCAM EX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Tori View Post
You stated that you were able to import .mov files into Premiere CS4 on Windows XP without issue. My question is, do you have to use XD Decoder to do this, or, will Premiere import these regardless without having to render? Is XD Decoder only necessary if you want to playback files using Quicktime player?
See the answer above.
XD Decoder and Quicktime are required to view or work with the XDCAM EX .MOV Quicktimes in any Quicktime-aware application on Windows.
The bottom line is if you open the .MOV quicktimes in Premiere Pro they can be used on a sequence. This seems to work better in the Mac version than the Windows version (which seems to not edit in the audio tracks.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich View Post
Dumb question but has there been any discussion of the HM700 being compatible with the studio accessories for the HD250?
It has the remote input for CCU remotes but it lacks a genlock in for house sync.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Johnson View Post
Any word on low light performance vs the older cameras ie GY-hd100's?
See answer #1. You won't be disappointed with low-light performance in the HM100 or HM700.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 03:26 PM   #34
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
According to my notes, SDI output is 10-bit. Full compatibility with lenses between the HD and HM series. The HM700 will eventually be released as a body-only kit, but to my knowledge its price has not yet been established. If I got any of this wrong, I'm sure Craig will step in and correct me.
Thanks Chris, this sounds very promising. I prefer the JVC form factor to the Sony.
Old February 24th, 2009, 01:01 AM   #35
New Boot

Dead Pixil Fix

Does anyone know if they have fixed the dead pixel issues in the new HM700 that plagued the JVC110 and 200s? Having recently shot something with a JVC Camera, there were several times where a dead pixel would show up when looking at the footage on my computer that came from JVC CCD sensors. Has this issue been fixed?
Carlos Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2009, 05:13 AM   #36
Wrangler

Dead pixels aren't really an issue with the JVC cameras because they are end-user serviceable. The same should be true with the HM series, but I didn't try to find an advanced menu.
Old February 24th, 2009, 10:08 AM   #37
Major Player

put 700 lens on 251 ?

Tim, thanks for the review !
"The new 14x4.4 lens from Canon is a thing of beauty and I can’t believe it is a bundled lens. Wow this lens is sharp."

The camera AND lens cost less than the optional lenses for the 251.

So is this Canon lens good enough to warrant buying the 700 just for the glass (and as a 2nd cam on the side)

I will stick to the 251 for shooting because of genlock/TC for separate audio and digislate.

Likely JVC will come up later with a 700 type which can be genlocked ???
Claude Mangold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2009, 11:27 AM   #38
Major Player

Claude: That's what I was wondering. a 17x for $3,000 plus a 2nd HD100/200 series camera is about the price of a 700, plus you get a DTE system ($1,400 value figureing mount) but recording HDV and XDCAM-EX. If I had the cash I would seriously not get a better lens for my 110, but instead make my 110 the B camera and get a 700. I wouldn't mind getting the canon glass for my 110 if it wasn't too much... maybe add a doubler for my longer work.

Good times...

It's funny, reading the sony and canon sites, and having used some HDV of both recently and not be impressed with the 1080i world or downconverted DVD's.... But the funniest part to me was down converted DVD's looked best from 24p JVC and also itunes for electronic sales and transfers where looking the best and 1/2 to 1/3 the render times from 720p vs 1080i. Since itunes (90% of all legal download sales) highest res is 1280 x 720p 24fps or 960x540 @ 30fps it really makes the case to stick with 24p for both outlets.

I wonder if there would be an advantage to shoot 1080p 24fps vs 720p 24fps for downconversion to appltv itunes HD and DVD. I bet render times from XDCAM-EX 108024p would be no worse than 1080i HDV and probably less. I'm sure the720 XDCAMEX render times would be similar to 720p HDV. Longer GOP but less compression? Dunno... Looking forward to trying.

I wonder if there is much of a market for my HD110/IDX/Focus Enhancement's DTE package.
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2009, 04:49 PM   #39
Major Player

Tim, gut reaction of Canon's 14x vs a Fujinon 17x?

Tim,

Hey just a gut reaction or feeling of the Canon's 14x lens vs the Fujinon's 17x lens? I Know it was preproductin, but are they optically in the same ball park with each other where as the 16x is the minor league? Both not really comparable to the Fujinon 18x or is the Canon comparable, just shorter range?

Anyway maybe selling my 110 & DTE and IDX system and varizoom in a week or two to free up funds for a new JVC 700. I guess I'll have to make a package deal for my 100+ JVC tapes. oh well.
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems