Possible PCless backup option for SDHC cards at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old March 20th, 2009, 11:41 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Possible PCless backup option for SDHC cards

Note this is not a product review, just some info on something interesting I found while searching the net.....

I recently found out about the hyperdrive colorspace udma drive.

Its a self powered card reader/hd storage device popular with still image photogs. It will let you transfer you raw/jpeg photos directly from a CF or SD/SDHC card to an internal HD and view them. it appears to support most of the raw image formats out there.

OK, so what is the big deal then?
It will back up ANY files from a CF or SDHC card. You just won't be able to view the video files. it will also preserve file/folder structure. I sent an email to their support desk and they confirmed it will copy any files.

Plus the device is designed to let you swap out HDD and Batteries if needed. The battery is a non proprietary one that can be purchased through 3rd party sources. The HDD is what ever 2.5" SATA you can get your hands on, up to 500gig.

You can also run it with your own custom external power device as long as it supplies 5v 1A. ( I have a 5v battery with 2400ma available) It also includes a car adapter. So in theory, you could purchase multiple batteries and drives, and take them with you. It includes a screw driver to open up the case.

Another cool thing, is it will do incremental backups, so as you fill up your SDHC card, you can pop it in and update the HDD without having to do a full on copy.
It will also do crc verification of the data as it stores it.

This could be a boon for those out doing remote shooting and not wanting to take a laptop.

HyperDrive - The World's Fastest Memory Card Backup Device, you can download the user manual to find out more.

it is available through dvinfo.net approved vendors in various configurations. My advice, get the cheapest version, and add you own higher capacity drive.

You can do a google search to find various reviews on it. There are older models out there, but you want the colorspace UDMA one, it's the newest model. I'm ordering one next week (got to get paid first).
Old March 20th, 2009, 06:41 PM   #2
Major Player

Now that's something to bookmark!
Hopefully they will develop a model that will view video files soon.
Old March 20th, 2009, 10:52 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyge Floyd View Post
Now that's something to bookmark!
Hopefully they will develop a model that will view video files soon.
Yes, please.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2009, 09:51 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Perhaps also worth a look:

Nexto ND-2725 320GB Video Storage - Proactive

Regards
Dave
David Johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2009, 11:28 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johns View Post
Perhaps also worth a look:

Nexto ND-2725 320GB Video Storage - Proactive

Regards
Dave
I looked at the Nexto. Their built in battery only lasts for 30 gigs transfer, an optional external one lasts for 80. The internal/swappable battery for the hyperdrive is rated for up to 250GB transfer. Plus both my wife and myself have Canon DSLRs. Hers' is the XTI with CF card, mine is the XSI with the SDHC card. The lcd is actually big enough to be usable when browsing folders. Not so much on the Nexto. Both offer Usb OTG (on the go) technology. It's included with the Nexto, it's an extra cost addon for the hyperdrive. The hyperdrive supports scripting, though they haven't released the manual for that yet.

Still, being able to use internal batteries instead of external ones makes me favor the hyperdrive even if the initial cost is higher. Just my opinion on that one. The photo thumbnails feature w zoom in is a nice to have.

The Nexto has eSATA which can make for much quicker file transfers to a host computer.

For single purpose use (Video only) the Nexto ND2700 might be a better, less expensive option. For both photo and Video, I plan on getting the hyperdrive.
Old March 21st, 2009, 06:30 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Seriously - video and somehow view timecode - this would be all I need.
Harry Pallenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 06:33 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Pallenberg View Post
Seriously - video and somehow view timecode - this would be all I need.
I would settle for viewing the first frame and any metadata (timecode, length..., date..). But yes that would be cool.

btw Chris, Tim? This thread really belongs in the new HM area since my motive was to talk about off loading SDHC cards.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems