JVC GY HM 700 Video Review - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old March 24th, 2009, 03:55 PM   #16
Major Player

All things considered the overall image looks great, even with the Fujinon 16x5.5 lens.

I'm sure Canon wouldn't put out a bad lense based on their reputation, so it will most likely be fine. It should make really sharp images.

Thanks for the in-depth review, very nice imagery that will help me convince my NASA video production customer to purchase 2 or more HM 700's.

Thanks. David
Old March 25th, 2009, 01:37 AM   #17
Trustee

That's weird, not getting notifications of replies again...

Am sure both the 17x Fujinin and 14x canon will be way better than the 16x I tried. Am surprised I was supplied with it for the review, oh well...I made the best of it!

It's a shame the Canon is only 14x, having that extra length does make a difference when trying to knock that background out of focus...

Brian, all three are so different and in different price brackets. The Panasonic is probably the most expensive, couple with it's media. Shoot a great codec but has problems with rolling shutter that hopefully will be resolved in the production model.

The EX3 for my money has the best image, 1/2 chips, best low light performance, least noise in image and the great SxS cards, but you don't have the 10 bit of the Panny or the 4:2:2 and the form factor sucks compared to both the JVC and Panasonic. They need to bring out a shoulder mounted EX5 soon!

I like the JVC and if you intend to do lots of fast moving work, like sports, then it is only one to go for as it is CCD and has no issues with skewing. Not great in low light though...

I believe the US version will ship with the Anton Bauer mount and the European one with the V mount. Easy to change though. I have iDX batteries for all my big cameras. Take into account the cost of batteries and a decent charger though. They aren't cheap!
Old March 25th, 2009, 05:11 AM   #18
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Parks View Post
All things considered the overall image looks great, even with the Fujinon 16x5.5 lens.
Agreed. Phil's composition and exposure are exceptional.
Old March 25th, 2009, 05:57 AM   #19
Major Player

Phil,

I got the impression you really liked this camera. Having had a play with both the hm700 and the hpx301, ...did you have a favourite?

I reckon these two will be in main competition with each other given the similar price, chip size etc.
Stuart Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 08:26 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood View Post
Agreed. Phil's composition and exposure are exceptional.
Of course. Thanks Phil for taking the time to share this with us. Got sidetracked when I noticed the fringing and forgot everything else.

I'm SO glad I found this forum back when I did the FIRST time and even more glad that when I went looking for an HD solution that I landed here again. You folks have been an absolute WEALTH of knowledge.

Now, if only I could justify the $15k for the Fuji 18x with extender...
Old March 25th, 2009, 10:21 AM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich View Post
Now, if only I could justify the $15k for the Fuji 18x with extender...
Now that would look nice with the JVC. I like both cameras but the Panasonic would probably be my favourite due to its AVI intra etc...mind you, having a camera that you can whip around is cool!

Last edited by Phil Bloom; March 25th, 2009 at 11:31 AM.
Phil Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 11:41 AM   #22
Major Player

I have the 17x fujinon lens on my HD200, and can assure you it's a significant improvement over the 16x lens from the HD series. Much more glass. The extra zoom range is on the wide end, but not as wide as the 14x canon. The real difference is at telephoto, where the image doesn't deteriorate outside the sweet f-stop range (or not to the same extent anyway!).

Question for you, Phil. In your review you say:
"Can stream DV or HD out of the mini firewire port. Including 35mbps HD."

That was certainly not the impression I had from Tim's review. Is this verified? It opens up the possibility of a "firestore" type hard drive device for long or secondary recording at the all important 35mps.

I especially liked your clear explanation of the pros and cons of ccd vs. cmos. Thanks!
Old March 26th, 2009, 02:00 PM   #23
New Boot

Btw, I just a got a confirmation from E.C. Professional that the JVC GY-HM700 does 10bit 4:2:2 out of the HD-SDI out. Yay!
Old March 26th, 2009, 02:08 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Corral View Post
Btw, I just a got a convermation from E.C. Professional that the JVC GY-HM700 does 10bit 4:2:2 out of the HD-SDI out. Yay!
This is great news. Puts JVC back in contention in the under 10K camera club.
Old March 26th, 2009, 02:38 PM   #25
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Adair View Post
Question for you, Phil. In your review you say:
"Can stream DV or HD out of the mini firewire port. Including 35mbps HD."

That was certainly not the impression I had from Tim's review. Is this verified? It opens up the possibility of a "firestore" type hard drive device for long or secondary recording at the all important 35mps.
1440x1080 and 1280x720 resolutions at "SP" quality can be streamed as HDV out of the firewire port. As far as I can tell all modes and bitrates can be downconverted and streamed as DV, but I haven't had a chance to personally confirm this.
Old March 26th, 2009, 05:19 PM   #26
Trustee

as Jack would say, looks like I had bad intel...

to make up for it have thrown together those pretties I shot with that rubbish lens into a self contained edit available for download if you join XR

Philip Bloom Battersea: Test shots with JVC GY HM 700
Old March 26th, 2009, 05:22 PM   #27
Trustee

jvc uk said they will do their best to get a 100 to me to test in next couple of weeks. keep your fingers crossed. Got mad idea for a review video!!!
Old March 26th, 2009, 09:19 PM   #28
Major Player

"jvc uk said they will do their best to get a 100 to me to test in next couple of weeks. keep your fingers crossed. Got mad idea for a review video!!!"

Hope you can get to test it's low light capabilities.

I really hope its good enough for reception work, I'm getting old and wanting something lighter than my EX 1 for weddings. (Not holding my breath though).

Cheers ,

Vaughan
Vaughan Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 01:40 AM   #29
Trustee

I doubt it will be very good in low light. The 700 isn't great and the 100 has even small chip in it...we shall see though!!!
Old March 27th, 2009, 07:09 AM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
I doubt it will be very good in low light. The 700 isn't great and the 100 has even small chip in it...we shall see though!!!
Thatīs going to be the 3,500-Dollar-question... And what "very good" means. Itīs obvious that the Ex1/3 will be better, but maybe LoLux can at least pull off some decent noise reduction? Hopefully. Because, why would you want to have a cam you can use for non-obtrusive shooting if you need to bring a lighting truck at the same time to make the pics look acceptable...
Matthias Krause is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems