JVC GY HM 700 Video Review at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old March 23rd, 2009, 02:44 PM   #1
Trustee

JVC GY HM 700 Video Review

Finishing it off now. Will be online by the morning.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 03:32 PM   #2
New Boot

Phil, I love you as much as any man can love another man! Haha just kidding. Anyway, thanks so much for getting this review up so quickly, I thought the Hm700 had kinda died off until NAB.
Old March 24th, 2009, 05:30 AM   #3
Trustee

It's done!

Philip Bloom Blog Archive Video review of new JVC GY-HM 700 HD Camcorder

Exposure room is still transcoding so if the link to the video review isn't working just yet give it a little bit of time and it will be there!!

Nothing wrong with a man crush...just keep it to yourself ;-) Especially when I come to Austin next month!!

Last edited by Phil Bloom; March 24th, 2009 at 06:54 AM.
Phil Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 07:29 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Phil: saw some rather nasty CA on the first couple of shots in the video attached to your linked review. Can you confirm that the CA edging on the pagoda and tree branches exists in the raw footage?
Old March 24th, 2009, 07:31 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich View Post
Phil: saw some rather nasty CA on the first couple of shots in the video attached to your linked review. Can you confirm that the CA edging on the pagoda and tree branches exists in the raw footage?
yep, as mentioned in the written review and mentioned in the video review the fujinon lens is not good enough for this camera. the canon is way way better
Old March 24th, 2009, 07:33 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Thanks Phil. I've told my retailer that I'm holding off until the Canon starts shipping despite a VERY attractive offer with the Fuji 17x. I think this footage vindicates that decision.

2/3 of the way through the viewing. Thanks SO MUCH for this Phil!
Old March 24th, 2009, 07:39 AM   #7
Trustee

Def Shaun!

For a lot of shots it was fine, but anything heavily backlight CA was all over the place...I really don't think JVC should bundle this lens at all with the camera. It's the same one I have on my 2 year old HD201e and it wasn't very good on that either!!

The Canon is 10x better!!
Old March 24th, 2009, 08:28 AM   #8
Wrangler

Phil. Were you using the 17x5mm or 16x5.5mm Fujinon lens?

It's hardly worth trying to evaluate the HM700 with the 16x5.5 Fujinon lens since it will never ship bundled with this lens. JVC has made a few production bodies available to us in the media but that Canon 14x4.4mm lens just isn't available anywhere yet. The Fujinon 17x5mm will be the bundled lens until the Canon 14x4.4mm is available.

Unfortunately I don't have the Fujinon 17x5mm to evaluate either, just the Fujinon 13x3.5.
Old March 24th, 2009, 09:02 AM   #9
Trustee

it's the 16x Tim. It's what JVC UK supplied me with.

Agreed this lens is no good for the camera, good news that it won't be shipping with the camera. How much better is the 17x though?

Have changed the opening shot of the video as it isn't fair to the camera. You can still see CA in other shots though...
Old March 24th, 2009, 09:13 AM   #10
Tourist

Chromatic Aberration

I'm new to this forum, so "hello all". By means of introduction, I am freelance photographer, filmmaker and producer. I used to work as a freelance lighting cameraman in London in the 90's, before concentrating on photo. I have been back working mostly as a multimedia producer/director since 2003...

I just posted this note to Phil Bloom on his blog, but thought it might be useful to post here too...

Phil,

This review & film was excellent and your photography was beautiful, pat yourself on the back.

There is clearly a problem with chromatic aberration on the stock Fujinon lens, so I’d be keen to see if the Canon lens (which is supposed to ship with this camera according to the JVC website) does any better. The JVC site specifically discusses CA issues and says that the Canon lens is designed to resolve this, so why they let you loose with the Fujinon I don’t know.

Apart from this the images have a great film look and the advantages of CCD on skewing issue cannot be under estimated. On my last doco on the Nile, we shot on a Sony Z7 which has CMOS chips and every single long lens pan hit the cutting room floor - unusable. Low light performance will be an issue of course, but the advantage is that you get to wrap earlier and get a cold one in.

The fact that the machine is laid out and balanced up like a proper “big” camera makes a lot of difference as well to hand held work.

If you get the chance to re-shoot again using the Canon please let us know, but apart from that I’m pretty convinced that this is a good little machine and has to be worth the £4500+ VAT in the UK. With budgets dropping all over town, I am sure that a lot of shooters are going to snap up this machine for proper ENG & low budge doco work. I am certainly very keen.

Good job mate well done.

Andy
Andy Johnstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 09:20 AM   #11
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Johnstone View Post
There is clearly a problem with chromatic aberration on the stock Fujinon lens...
That's not the stock Fujinon lens... that lens is *not* bundled with the camera. See posts from Phil and Tim above for clarification.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 10:04 AM   #12
Major Player

Thanks for the review, Phil. You answered every single question I had remaining about the camera - especially the low light performance and the amount of detail in the 1080p image.

The JVC cameras can really take lovely, filmic images. Your video guide was excellent and I loved the shots you took. Gorgeous!
David Knaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 10:14 AM   #13
New Boot

Thanks for the review Phil. I meant to ask you one last thing that I'm not sure if you mentioned in your review or not. I'll be upgrading from a Canon XL2, which means I'll have to either invest in an Anton or IDX battery solution. Which would you recommend? I think I saw an IDX Battery on your HM700.

Also, is the HD-SDI 8bit or 10bit 4:2:2?

Last edited by Carlos Corral; March 24th, 2009 at 11:31 AM.
Carlos Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 10:47 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Thanks for the review Philip, Looks like a nice little camera for sure.... Now, here's the $10,000 question.... Based on your experiences with the latest JVC, Panasonic, and Sony Cameras. If you were for the first time looking to purchase a new HD camera of the three, which would you choose and why?
Brian Ladue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 11:48 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Hi Phil,

Thanks for taking the time to post footage, but as it was shot with the 16x, I'm not sure it helps anyone that's really trying to make a decision regarding a purchase. The 17x that's being bundled with the camera is not supposed to be comparable to the 16x, and I think it really muddies the water for people who are trying to make a decision based on the images the camera produces. The CA is well-documented with the 16x, and according to JVC, the 17x is supposed to be 'true' HD glass, whatever that means.

I can't say which is better - the Canon or Fujinon, but I don't think this is a very fair assessment of the camera's image capturing properties.

Hope you get your hands on one of the other lenses soon!

Best ~ Lee
Lee Roberts is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems