VIDEO, VIDEO, EVERYWHE... nowhere at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old March 24th, 2009, 02:25 PM   #1
Regular Crew

VIDEO, VIDEO, EVERYWHE... nowhere

So excited when I loaded up the browser window - NEW FOOTAGE... only to find that Tim shot with a lens he does not recommend, settings push toward the 'rarely used' side....

... oh well at least there is Phil Bloom's... oh wait thats all compressed, not raw footage...

back to Matt the sales guy footage for me...

Just kidding - THANKS TIM & PHIL... viewing, downloading and digesting now. Can't wait to actually get one of these in my own hands.
Harry Pallenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 03:46 PM   #2
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Pallenberg View Post
So excited when I loaded up the browser window - NEW FOOTAGE... only to find that Tim shot with a lens he does not recommend, settings push toward the 'rarely used' side....
I think you misunderstood what I was saying.

1st: I highly recommend the lens I used (Fuji 13x3.5mm) but it costs more than the camera package bundled with a lens.

2nd: The settings are not pushed towards "rarely used" for me, but they don't represent the "out-of-the-box" configuration that many prefer to see with preview footage. For example... I normally turn the detail level down to -7 or so and then add the appropriate amount of artificial sharpness later (if needed.)

The intent with my library of clips for this week is simply to see how the workflow jives with your particular NLE.

Yes unfortunately Phil only had the 16x5.5 lens available which in no way represents either lens that will be bundled with the HM700. It is disappointing JVC UK provided that lens to him with the HM700. JVC Canada only supplied me with the HM700 because they didn't have the Fuji 17x5mm or Canon 14x4.6 available either.
Old March 24th, 2009, 04:53 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Correct! I mixed yours & Phil's info up a bit. Trying to follow threads / watch all this stuff while at work is harder than I thought! Will re-read both and see where i crossed info in my brain.

Either way on my non calibrated 5 year old 17inch monitor under bad office lighting - I like what I saw of your dog, kids running and geese.

Thanks.
Harry Pallenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 07:46 AM   #4
New Boot

"Phil only had the 16x5.5 lens available which in no way represents either lens that will be bundled with the HM700. It is disappointing JVC UK provided that lens to him with the HM700. JVC Canada only supplied me with the HM700 because they didn't have the Fuji 17x5mm or Canon 14x4.6 available either."

It seems an almost willfully amateurish way to launch a new product. Does anyone at JVC read these pages? Is this a fair representation if JVC's approach to their customers (including after-sales), or is it a one-off blip?
David Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 08:23 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
David: I certainly can't speak for JVC, but Craig Yanagi of JVC Americas is a regular contributor to these forums and my experience with the JVC's I own has been superb. I can't begin to imagine what the European "wing" of the company is like but I would SUSPECT this was one of those cases of trying to accommodate a request without really having all the hardware in place to do it. Tough choice: "please wait, we can't help you today" or "this is the best we can do for you TODAY". Hard call to make.
Old March 30th, 2009, 01:16 AM   #6
New Boot

The tourist thanks the trustee!
David Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 08:34 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
No problem and WELCOME!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems