DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-800-700-600-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   fuji v.s. canon lens (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-800-700-600-series-camera-systems/148048-fuji-v-s-canon-lens.html)

Amos Kim March 31st, 2009 04:02 PM

fuji v.s. canon lens

So which is supposed to be the more higher quality lens for the hm700? fuji 17x or the canon?

David Petersen March 31st, 2009 05:04 PM

No one knows... the Fujinon 17x's will be hitting the streets this/next week with the camera, but the Canon's aren't due until June.

I did hear that the configuration with the Fujinon 17x will be more expensive once the Canon comes out, though.

Sean Adair April 1st, 2009 03:13 PM

The fujinon 17x has been out since the GY-HD200 was released. It's about $3,300 alone, and a nice piece of glass. A bit wider than the 16x "standard" lens sold with the GY-HD series, and holds quality better in the tele range. The 14x Canon lens starts even wider, so will have less telephoto range. I suspect that the focal length range you need will be a more important factor than image quality.

Phil Bloom April 1st, 2009 03:25 PM

I was told the Canon was higher quality glass but not as long...

Lee Roberts April 2nd, 2009 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Bloom (Post 1040809)
I was told the Canon was higher quality glass but not as long...

This is not meant to be contentious, but who said the Canon was better than the Fujinon (it may be - I don't know)? I spoke with a JVC rep who said the opposite and cited a previous poster's claim as evidence:

"The Fuji is a better lens than the Canon. After we release the 700/Canon bundle, the camera and the Fuji 17 will be considered an upgrade. Getting the Fuji 17x glass for the same price is a bonus." (Could just be salesman's hype...I don't know.)

I realize that price doesn't always equal quality - I'm just regurgitating what the rep said.

Take care ~ Lee

Shaun Roemich April 2nd, 2009 08:31 AM

As well, historically Fuji has charged more for similar lenses than Canon. Personally, I prefer Fuji build and feel but the wide standard of the Canon has me holding out as I don't need a TRUE wide angle (The 13x Fuji) very often and the Fuji solution (18x) closest to the Canon is $8k+ in USD.

Sean Adair April 2nd, 2009 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich (Post 1042747)
As well, historically Fuji has charged more for similar lenses than Canon. Personally, I prefer Fuji build and feel but the wide standard of the Canon has me holding out as I don't need a TRUE wide angle (The 13x Fuji) very often and the Fuji solution (18x) closest to the Canon is $8k+ in USD.

How is the fuji 18x closest to the canon 14x? Range no, tele ability no.
Both manufacturers make quality lenses (and budget lenses). The good news is that the canon 14x will be the "standard", and that it isn't a compromised lens as the 16x hd standard was.

The 17x lens currently sells for $3000. I paid a bit more for mine when it was released. When you see that B&H has the 700 without lens for only $500 less, that package is a great deal. This is the price difference for HD series with/without lens. If B&H prices are accurate at this stage - without product they might still be "safe" estimates.

In any case, it's win-win. They are both serious lenses, and buying with the camera makes the camera seem very reasonably priced!

Shaun Roemich April 2nd, 2009 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Adair (Post 1042934)
How is the fuji 18x closest to the canon 14x? Range no, tele ability no.

Fuji 18x 4.2 versus Canon 14 x 4.4

Fujinon | HTs18x4.2BRM 1/3" 18x ProHD Lens | HTS18X4.2BRM

Sounds pretty close in range/tele to me.

Sean Adair April 2nd, 2009 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich (Post 1042958)
Fuji 18x 4.2 versus Canon 14 x 4.4

Fujinon | HTs18x4.2BRM 1/3" 18x ProHD Lens | HTS18X4.2BRM

Sounds pretty close in range/tele to me.

I guess it just depends how you look at it - but in any case the 18x is more range (the x factor) and costs more than the camera with either 17x or 14x.
Tele is Canon 14x is 62mm, Fuji 18x is 76mm, Fuji 17x is 85mm
The 17x extra range over the 16x gy-hd standard is all in the wide angle territory (5mm).
I guess you can say the canon is a little wider at wide end, and significantly shorter at long end of lens.

A factor to consider also is that CA is mostly an issue at tele. IMHO, If the standard 16x lens had just been prevented from zooming in as far as it does it would have prevented some of the ugly lens problems people were having.

Alex Humphrey April 9th, 2009 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Adair (Post 1043451)
If the standard 16x lens had just been prevented from zooming in as far as it does it would have prevented some of the ugly lens problems people were having.

Agreed 100%. I wish there was an easy way to put a limiter on it, (screw in bolt that hits a stopper would satisfy me) just to keep me from creeping past 70mm. I would have rather Fujinon just not go the 16x but maybe 14x just to keep us going into the 70-88mm fuzzies...

Marcello Mazzilli April 18th, 2009 01:48 PM

Got an HM700 with Fujinon and everybody now is saying Canon would be better (ie: Phil Bloom in his review). I get quite a bit of a fringe if I shoot in tele a far away white contrasted object, magenta on one side and green on the other. I come from "easier" cameras like the Sony Z1 and never had so severe optical aberrations.. . Welcome to the world of professional detachable optics!

Amos Kim April 18th, 2009 02:38 PM

He marcello, at what telephoto mark on lens barrel do you start getting fringing? And can you close down the aperture to reduce it?

Doug Tessler April 18th, 2009 08:53 PM

Fujinon lens is miserable

Ok so i have tried everything from back focus to shading to settings in the camera. I am very disappointed in the lens. Its seems to have a limited sweet spot . Besides that if you zoom all the way in its unusable with lots of CA . I would have like the canon lens , a much better piece of glass. I have never had much luck with Fujinon lenses. They seem to have problems with Ca and the quality is not the same as Canon. Of course if you buy their premiere lenses which cost more than the camera itself those are very fine prime lenses. So I guess I have to live with the limitations of the lens and unfortunately the camera with its inherent noise and bad performance in low light. Oh well nothing in this camera world is perfect@!

Marcello Mazzilli April 19th, 2009 02:02 PM

Hi Amos, I'll do specific tests tomorrow and let you know. My impressions till now are the following... Fujinon 17x Lenses have a stronge magenta/green fringe. These are present also in the 16x lenses. You can see this in the video Phil Bloom made (look at the "promenade" scenes at the end of his HM700 test video). The camera is quite noisy. At present I was only able to watch on an HD PC monitor (my LG W2261V Full1080p monitor... by the way.. can somebody tell me what differences I might expect from a Broadcast TV LCD HD Monitor like VC DT-V17L2D... that by the way.. has a smaller actual pixel resolutions). I have to say on the camera LCD looks great and on my PC monitor looks shit... Who's right? probably the answer is in the middle. I've been busy for jobs (still working with my old Z1) and I need a full sunny day to do some proper tests.

I'm putting some new tests online tonight (chek this same thread) but please note: (1) audio comments are in italian (2) I'm not a DOP so I might something here.

Marcello Mazzilli April 20th, 2009 01:16 AM

Go to siRoma
go to "Area Riservata" (top right menu)
Use login "DVINFO" (all capital)
Use right button click to download (please download first README)
Let me know