GY-HM100 vs. GY-HM700 - Feature Comparison - And life advice needed! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old April 3rd, 2009, 04:39 PM   #16
Trustee

If you are using Final Cut and you want an inexpensive tapeless workflow, the new JVC cameras seem to have been designed for you.

The HM100 and HM700 are distinctly different cameras for different types of shooting... and there is a big price difference.

Aside from size, the HM700 does not have autofocus, in case you are used to that.

Both cameras have a wide variety of HD format shooting options, and both have 16bit PCM audio.

Some of the debate has to do with other options people already have at hand. I own an HD110, the 13x lens, a Canon XH-A1, and a Canon HV20, plus some dv cameras already. When I look at the new JVC cameras I am considering what they add to what I already have for the specific kind of shooting I am doing and the needs I have.

I would suggest making a list of the planned (and possibly unplanned) uses you will put to the camera, and see which one best meets your needs.

Within a week or two of the release of the HM100, everyone should hear of the strengths and weakness this new camera has. If the camera fulfills its promise when the production models come out, it is likely to be an excellent choice for the kind of shooting you have suggested you do.

If you want to move up to the HM700 later, the HM100 will still have a use.

If you want to jump in at the high end, learn full manual controls off a shulder mount, and want to choose the lens that will fit your needs, the HM700 looks like a winner out of the box.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2009, 05:34 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Well said, Jack. I forget that not everyone has had the opportunity to learn on broadcast style "no autofocus, black and white CRT viewfinder, possibly no auto white balance" cameras.

When I pick up a shoulder cam I've never used before, it takes me less than 5 minutes to get comfortable because I've spent years working with the design. MOST of the switches are in the same places (although I often need to go looking for the shutter speed switch) so migrating from Sony to Ikegami to Panasonic to JVC is RELATIVELY easy for me. If you've never spent time with a broadcast style camera SERIOUSLY consider borrowing or renting an HM700 before parting with your hard earned money.

One of the new friends I've made on here bought an HD200 with a 17x lens to shoot essentially home movies, never having used a shoulder cam before. He lost his shirt when he sold it with VERY low hours, just so he could buy a more appropriate camera for what HE needed it for.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 09:01 PM   #18
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richardson View Post
Let me frame the problem in a different way than before and see what people think:

So the HM-100 is a big step up from the canon HF-10, and the HM-700 is a significant step up from the HM-100. This seems like a logical progression to me...
That's exactly how I feel. The tiny SR12 obtained fantastic pictures, but you couldn't even set a shutter-speed. It had "consumer" camcorder red push that cause white folks to look sunburned. And, it was way too light. Worse -- no 720p60. If you read the forums there are screams from people wanting a "sold-state" VX1000 at a $3000 price. And, after experiencing AVCHD -- they want no part of it.

The HM100 seems like a gift from the gods. It really doesn't matter if it doesn't have the "best" possible image. The total package is so unique -- in a retro sort of way -- that I see no competition. My only hope is the street price is very low -- or JVC releases a version without the mic/xlr handle.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 09:16 PM   #19
Major Player

Bob - I'm sure you know this, but the other "tapeless" workflow is direct to drive recorders. This is the main way I use my current JVC GY-HD camera. 5 hours of HD without breaks and very fast transfer to editing drives works very well. Plus I'm backing up all my raw footage onto tape, which is a comfortable redundancy. Plus I do still hand off SD mini-dv tapes to people pretty often...

Mind you, I'm in here for a reason. I'm getting calls for 1080p now, and (finally) work more HD gigs than SD.

While many of us do quite varied video work (I certainly do!), it's usually better to have more camera than less. There are a number of times I'd be happier with a smaller camera, but only a few where I really needed to be less conspicuous, or weight was a real factor (there was this 10 day shoot at 13,000 ft in Peru, and the Egypt doc that couldn't afford shooting permits).

Matching your gear to your needs is a very smart question, and one most of us have to keep an eye on. Gear acquisition is fun, but I've seen people load up with stuff thinking "build it, and they will come", and that isn't the case.

But Bugger! I just want one of EACH of these puppies! I suspect the HM100 will do very well at matching the overal look for selective B camera work, or even a 2-camera shoot. For me, the purchases will have to be very dedicated to significant projects.
Old April 8th, 2009, 12:00 AM   #20
Trustee

JVC's Dave Walton talks about company's latest HD cameras

JVC's Dave Walton talks about company's latest HD cameras - BroadcastNewsroom
I don’t think this was posted yet.

"we'll have a few surprises that will include 4K and 3D products."
I would assume he means 4 projector but that could also mean a 4K camera or both.
How about a 4K 3D camera?
I guess it wont be too long until we find out.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems