DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-800-700-600-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   HM 700 Pricing - Australia (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-800-700-600-series-camera-systems/154175-hm-700-pricing-australia.html)

Peter Brewer April 2nd, 2009 09:49 PM

HM 700 Pricing - Australia

Has anyone seen the pricing for the HM 700 in Australia?
Its not as cheap as the GY-HD's were. JVC Professional Australia - Products Details

David Knaggs April 3rd, 2009 12:31 AM

Wow. I certainly wasn't expecting that price range. (I was originally guessing it would probably be around A$9,500 for the camera and 17X lens.)

In the US, B&H is selling the GY-HM700 with the Fujinon 17X lens for US$6,995 which, at today's exchange rate is A$9,770.

The JVC Pro Australia site is listing the GY-HM 700 with Fujinon 17X lens at $15,565.

Which is a premium of A$5,795 (60%) over the US price, even after adjusting for the exchange rates.

Perhaps JVC Australia have decided to go after the broadcast market with this model, instead of the videographers?

Simon Denny April 3rd, 2009 01:13 AM

For that price, forget it. You can get a brand new EX1,EX3 with a full kit for that price and 1"2 inch chips. Or a second hand F350.

Dennis Robinson April 4th, 2009 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Ash (Post 1045111)
For that price, forget it. You can get a brand new EX1,EX3 with a full kit for that price and 1"2 inch chips. Or a second hand F350.

Yes Simon, but the Sonys look like toys.

Peter Brewer April 4th, 2009 09:14 PM

I have been using a jvc gyhd111 at work and love it but have had issues with FCP. I was expecting around the 10k as well. I am starting my own business and was planning to get one but at rose prices there's no way I can afford one. Unfortunately I'll have to get a Sony.

Dennis Robinson April 4th, 2009 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Brewer (Post 1052614)
I have been using a jvc gyhd111 at work and love it but have had issues with FCP. I was expecting around the 10k as well. I am starting my own business and was planning to get one but at rose prices there's no way I can afford one. Unfortunately I'll have to get a Sony.

But Peter, Aren't you planning to make money with the camera? You should make the extra cost up in no time. Get what you want, the money will come.

Ian Skurrie April 5th, 2009 06:53 PM

Perhaps the best approach is to buy directly from B&H in the US. Although I favour trying to support local business, especially since in a time of crisis you may need their back up, however spending $5000 plus extra is a bit expensive for getting local support.

regards

Ian Skurrie

Adam Letch April 5th, 2009 10:09 PM

its for this

reason the 'grey' market is so strong in Australia. The only reason though I'd buy my camera in Australia is for servicing reasons. If not for that, I would'nt bother buying anything in Australia, you got to also remember when you compare pricing, that our lovely government will also chuck GST on top of the price, and then you have import taxes etc etc.

Also I don't know if this is a mistake, but it must because the value of our dollar, but the HD251 at videoguys is current almost $20k. Crazy, I paid $14k, and at one point it got down to like $11k.
http://www.videoguys.com.au/shop/vid...ders/index.asp

Todd Russell April 6th, 2009 06:52 AM

Hi all, I have purchased 6 cameras to date from Global Media, the main reason, I refuse to be robbed by Australian distributors, Canon are one of the worst for this and seems JVC are doing the same..As for the Warranty, I have had 3 issues with 3 different cameras, all were Canon XL2, A1 etc... I got all these repaired under warranty from Canon australia as they must adhere to the manufacturers warranty, any one who says your warranty is void if you purchase overseas is wrong and the Fair trading dept with verify this...

When the dollar was at 90-95 cents I spent $70k over 6 months buying toys from B&H and various other sources..I calculated if I had bought in Australia this same amount of gear would have been approx $125-130k... This of course has implications for local retailers but at the end of the day $50k in my pocket is a significant sum...

The funny part is I order something from Melbourne, it takes 10 days to arrive, I order from B&H and in 3-4 days I have it in my hand...

For retailers this is the downside of global trade and the internet, I can sit in my office late at night with a bourbon, surf the web for the best products and price and order at the push of a button...I have put my entire production company together shopping online and purchasing mostly overseas..

Equipment purchased includes, lights, camera, jibs, dollys, tripods, decks, pelican cases,matte box, rails,
and many more numerous items...

Getting back on track with the original thread, I am looking seriously at several HM700 & HM100.

I have never used JVC but this one looks like an all round winner. I will be waiting to see what Global media lists this item for and no doubt will be sending my dollars off shore again...

David Knaggs April 6th, 2009 08:01 AM

Hi Todd.

Just out of interest, what are the extra costs when bringing a camera (or any gear) into Australia from New Zealand (Globalmediapro)?

I've heard somewhere that there's only a 10% GST charge these days. No other duties or costs. Is that true from your experience?

So far I've always purchased my gear through local dealers, even if it's a bit more. But it would be nice to know what the extra costs really are for an import, just so I know what my options are.

Thanks.

Steven Lyons April 6th, 2009 08:06 AM

hm700 pricing australia

just 10%, sometimes I haven't even been charged that and it is only after purchasing items over $1000, which of course a camera is.
sometimes fedex or dhl forget to charge you, I had one time they forgot and then billed me later.

Todd Russell April 7th, 2009 01:06 AM

import charges

If your purchase is under $1000 aud, there is no GST or import duty, basically the parcel will be delivered to your door the same as an Australia Post delivery...
Items over $1000 are subject to 10% GST plus an import fee charged by the import company..
DHL, Fedex, etc charge between $40-80 for paperwork etc..
Most times the company will ring you prior to delivery and request you pay the fees by credit card before delivery..Some times however the parcels slip through and are delivered with out any charges being applied, this has happened on numerous occasions..
If you deal with reputable suppliers, B&H, Global media etc you can be confident that your purchase will be trouble free...
I have imported maybe 100 different parcels from over seas suppliers and never had an issue..
B&H has a price of $6,995usd for the HM700 Canon lens combo..If this is their selling price I think Global Media will be around
$9,995 aud so even adding GST and import charges you may save between $3-4k which buys a lot off accessories....

David Knaggs April 7th, 2009 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd Russell (Post 1061606)
... so even adding GST and import charges you may save between $3-4k which buys a lot off accessories....

You would save about A$4,500, which is the exact price of a brand-new Quad-Core Mac Pro.

Thanks, Todd (and Steven).

Alan Craig April 7th, 2009 06:20 AM

Todd have you looked at the JVC GY-HD111 there are some good offers on at the moment in UK less than 2500GBP. and this model is similar to the 100. But records to tape

Regards Alan

Artkran Temritikulchai April 12th, 2009 08:47 PM

I used to study in australia before. I know how it feel to be ripped off. I end up buying nearly everything off the net and save $$$. service center in OZ will fix your camera, in worst case you would just have to fees but they will fix it any way.

I never have to service my camera in the past. I ended up buying a new one before it needed service anyway.