NAB09 Live Webcasts from JVC Booth at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old April 18th, 2009, 10:50 AM   #1
Wrangler

NAB09 Live Webcasts from JVC Booth

JVC Pro to Webcast Live from the Floor of NAB 2009
Old April 21st, 2009, 09:47 AM   #2
Wrangler

I'll be appearing live from the JVC booth on this webcast at 2PM EST. I'm demonstrating the HZ-CA13U Cine PL lens adapter on the HM700 (we also have a RedRock M2 on the HM100.) Hopefully my voice comes back by then!
Old April 22nd, 2009, 07:44 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Tim... sorry to bother you but before adding lenses and stuff to the HM700 shouldn't it be useful a test on the camera's noise and standard lenses ? Here on the forum we are all wishing for serious and pro tests on this machine. M
Marcello Mazzilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2009, 10:30 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I don't know, I'd rather see what it's capable of with better lenses. That, to me, is the point of buying a camera like this - you can actually pop lenses on and off.

To be honest I thought the 17x would be a bit better, and it does seem better than the 16x... my only complaint with it so far is the color fringing. I'm big into post work on the video, though, and it's not too difficult to remove the fringing with After Effects, but it is a bit annoying.

That said, like I said in another thread somewhere, the lens 'actually' cost $500 to get here in the US ($6500 without lens/$7000 with) so I'm not going to complain or expect too much out of a $500 lens. And I can get some great looking footage out of it when I keep myself within its boundaries. I am hoping someone like Redrock / Cinevate / Letus will design a relay for the camera so I can use some better still lenses on it.

Tim, any word from the 35mm adapter companies about designing a relay for the 700? I know Redrock has one out for the EX3.
David Petersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2009, 11:42 AM   #5
Major Player

i know.. but I come from cameras "all inclusive" like the Sony Z1 and to make a step forward with the HM700 and discover these problems doesn't feel so nice
M
Marcello Mazzilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2009, 12:28 PM   #6
Major Player

i'm very interested to hear how the HM100 performs with the redrock M2. ease of use, focusing etc
Andrew Maclaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2009, 01:42 PM   #7
Major Player

watching live now

You can see Ca on the shot live now wonder if its the 700 they are shooting with ?

Doug
Doug Tessler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2009, 11:51 PM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcello Mazzilli View Post
Hi Tim... sorry to bother you but before adding lenses and stuff to the HM700 shouldn't it be useful a test on the camera's noise and standard lenses ? Here on the forum we are all wishing for serious and pro tests on this machine. M
Maybe you missed my lens resolutions tests and very-low-light tests? I'll be uploading the latest footage when I get home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Petersen View Post
To be honest I thought the 17x would be a bit better, and it does seem better than the 16x... my only complaint with it so far is the color fringing. I'm big into post work on the video, though, and it's not too difficult to remove the fringing with After Effects, but it is a bit annoying.
Every lens will have some bit of CA somewhere outside of its sweet spot (mid-zoom & F/2.8~F5.6) Some are worse than others. Now that I've shot with both the Fuji 17x5 and Canon 14x4.6 I can tell you that each has its pros and cons in different areas of the zoom range. I still want to do more testing on the 17x5 but I gave the 14x4.6 a pretty good workout on Sunday.
[QUOTE=David Petersen;1124490Tim, any word from the 35mm adapter companies about designing a relay for the 700? I know Redrock has one out for the EX3.[/QUOTE]I asked the rep from Redrock who was with me at the JVC booth and the answer is "not yet."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Maclaurin View Post
i'm very interested to hear how the HM100 performs with the redrock M2. ease of use, focusing etc
Seemed to work well. If you mount it upside down you don't need the Redrock "flipper" unit will be make the whole rig fairly compact. Total light loss on the latest M2 seems to be 1/2 stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Tessler View Post
You can see Ca on the shot live now wonder if its the 700 they are shooting with ?
The production company doing the webcast had their own HD110 and HD200s with Fuji 16x5.5 lenses. I haven't even seen the webcast.

I'm ready to board a plane so I'll do a full debrief by Friday.
Old April 23rd, 2009, 07:46 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
any word from the 35mm adapter companies about designing a relay for the 700? I know Redrock has one out for the EX3.
I have spoken to Aaron at letus, makers of the extreme, elite and ultimate.
the ex3 relay is soon to be out, and they are making one for the HM 700..
below is a quote from Aaron..

"Image quality difference between a relay and a stock lens will probably be a little better. We can't say for sure until we have the relay built and tested. Since a relay is built for a single purpose (relaying the image from the adapter to the image sensor in the camera), we can really dial it in for the perfect image. How much of a difference between the relay and stock lens there is won't be evident until they are tested side by side.
Relay for the new JVC 700 will most likely be available by July."

I have the cinevate brevis that I use with the hd101 and gives a fantastic picture,
I don't recommend it with the HD251e, could never get it sharp, cannot for the life of me figure out why.
I think the letus configuration should be very exciting, especially as Aaron has said they
build the relay to get the most out of the individual cameras.

steven lyons

Letus35 - 35mm lens Adapters - Letus adapters for using 35mm lenses on DV camers
Steven Lyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2009, 06:48 PM   #10
Inner Circle

The adapter should also work for the 100 thru 200 series.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems