DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-800-700-600-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Final Cut Express Compatibility (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-800-700-600-series-camera-systems/234370-final-cut-express-compatibility.html)

Bob Richardson April 30th, 2009 04:21 PM

Final Cut Express Compatibility

By the way, some good news on HM100 & HM700 file compatibility for the budget-minded:

The clips work in Final Cut Express. (The PR and product literature only seem to talk about "Final Cut Studio")

This is probably an issue for fewer than 1% of HM700 buyers, but might be important for people upgrading from prosumer gear to the HM100.

In my case, I'm upgrading from prosumer, leaning heavily toward the HM700. I've currently got Final Cut Express... given that Apple is very likely to have a new release of Final Cut Studio in the near future, it could be a waste of money for me to upgrade now, and then upgrade again two months from now. So I'm glad that I can hold out with what I've got before dropping big $$$ on new software in addition to a new camera.

An important note, however, is that Final Cut Express includes far fewer sequence presets than Final Cut Studio. It can do 1920x1080 60i, but not 30p, for example. If you want to work in 30p progressive, your only sequence preset is 1280x720.

Tim Dashwood April 30th, 2009 04:51 PM

Had you already downloaded the open-source XDCAM Component?

When you drop the first clip into a new sequence does FCE ask you to match the settings?

You should be able to make any preset setting you want, even in FCE.

Bob Richardson April 30th, 2009 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood (Post 1135673)
Had you already downloaded the open-source XDCAM Component?

No to my knowledge, unless it came along for the ride with a 3rd-party utility like Visual Hub or VideoLan.

Quote:

When you drop the first clip into a new sequence does FCE ask you to match the settings?
No, the behavior of FCE is to conform the clips to the current sequence settings using a combination of zoom and aspect ratio distortion under the "Motion" tab

Quote:

You should be able to make any preset setting you want, even in FCE.
Sadly, not according to discussions I've seen online, such as:
Apple - Support - Discussions - "...in a custom Sequence Preset Editor." ...

Marc Manley June 1st, 2009 01:58 PM

Final Cut Express 4 and JVC 700U

I purchased a mac book pro with FCE 4 pre-installed. I also downloaded and installed perian 1.1.3. & DivX for Mac. I shot some test footage with my new JVC at 1920x1080 60iHQ. Imported video with SDHC card reader. I can see the quicktime clips but when I click on the clips I get no video. Just a black screen that won't play. Frustrated, any suggestions. Thanks

Bob Richardson June 1st, 2009 03:31 PM

In the days since I first posted about this, I've been wondering if the fact that I have another pro app installed, Logic Pro 8, means that Apple has delivered to me more pro features and codecs in QuickTime via various software updates?

My camera has been delayed yet again, supposedly it will arrive for me tomorrow, and I can do some more tests.

Is there anyone out there with just Final Cut Express, an no other Apple pro apps, who has successfully downloaded/played the sample clips that are out there already?

Marc Manley June 2nd, 2009 12:56 PM

I do have an appointment at the Apple Store with a FCP & FCE4 experienced Tech. May have some insight tomorrow.

Shaun Walker June 2nd, 2009 01:08 PM

Could it even be as simple and easy that it requires QT Pro to work and not just the free version??

I don't get my FCE 4 until Thurs. for my MacBook and HM100 :(

Tim Dashwood June 2nd, 2009 01:47 PM

You won't need Quicktime Pro. Just download and install the open-source XDCAM component for quicktime. Discrete Cosine: Perian for Pro Codecs - Free HDV/DVCProHD/XDcam decoders

I've even used HM100 clips in iMovie09 with this component installed so I'm sure it will also work fine with FCE. I don't own FCE so I can't personally test it or give you any further guidance on how to configure your sequence settings.

Shaun Walker June 2nd, 2009 01:51 PM

What hardware are folks using with FCE 4 and 35Mbps 1080 .mov clips?

How does it perform, speed-wise?

Do you later convert it into something else?

... Thanks!

Marc Manley June 2nd, 2009 09:12 PM

I tried the download with no success.

Shaun Walker June 2nd, 2009 09:46 PM

Marc, what machine/processor and version of OS X are you using?

Marc Manley June 5th, 2009 07:45 AM

I am using mac os x version 10.5.7 and 2.66GH Intel Core 2 Duo processor.I have been to the mac store. They say if you Download Quicktime Pro for $29.99 it should work? We installed Perian XDcam,DivX with no luck. I was also told you can download VLC Player
VLC media player - Open Source Multimedia Framework and Player for playback omly of footage. I'm done with FCE & going with FCP studio 2.

Shaun Walker June 5th, 2009 12:42 PM

older MacBook 1.87Ghz working well ...

I just got my 3?-yr-old white MacBook 1.87Ghz Core2Duo w/ 10.5x(latest), latest QT (NON-Pro), 200GB 7200rpm Fujitsu, and 2GB RAM working w/ FCE and the PerianXDCam.component in my MacHD/Library/Quicktime.
I have a sweeeet Apple Cinema 20" 1680x1050 that works well, though I might upgrade to a 24/26/28" 1920x1200 this summer.

I can't get full-30fps 1920x1080i/35Mbps playback with FCE or QT Player, but it's not too bad ... pretty smooth and 20fps?
I'm sure that's because I have the weak, older Intel integrated/shared graphics, not due to the older CPU ... RIGHT?

WOW, yikes ... I've gotta get myself and external h.264 encoder for converting down web video sizes or other forms -- What a slooooooow process even for short, lo-res little projects with the old MacBook. I'm looking at probably getting the Matrox MXO2 MiniMax for Laptops with HDMI video monitoring for editing (which might even make the MacBook non-30fps playback irrelevant when in use? -- not sure).
Matrox MXO2 Mini - Overview