DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-800-700-600-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   HM100 & 700 Series Scene File Recipes? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-800-700-600-series-camera-systems/234796-hm100-700-series-scene-file-recipes.html)

Robert Rogoz May 6th, 2009 12:09 PM

HM100 & 700 Series Scene File Recipes?

Maybe time to start new sticky?

Tim Dashwood May 6th, 2009 02:43 PM

They are on their way. I've already done a DSC calibrated scene file... I mean "PICTURE" file.

JVC engineers split the scene files on the HM700 into visual elements (GAMMA, TOE, KNEE, MATRIX, ETC.) called PICTURE Files and personal preference stuff (User buttons, White balance presets, format, frame rate, display, zebra, focus assist, etc) as SCENE files.

This is great for DV Info Net users because we can share PICTURE files without fundamentally changing any personal preferences already set on the camera.

David Parks May 6th, 2009 03:13 PM

Excellent.

Thanks Tim. I really liked the "scene" files (orginal term in HD 100 world) that you created for the old 100/110.

Look forward to it.

Robert Rogoz May 6th, 2009 03:34 PM

Thanks Tim, are you also going to do HM100?
I also was wondering about your impressions on controls on HM100 model. I have to decide between Panny HMC150 and JVC HM100. I started shooting with DVX100 and loved the layout of the camera and the toughness of the frame. However I am not that keen on AVCHD, particularly editing in FCS2. Particularly I am hesitant about aperture/shutter button and combined focus/zoom ring.

Marcello Mazzilli May 8th, 2009 06:43 AM

Eagerly waiting...

Tim Dashwood May 9th, 2009 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Rogoz (Post 1138816)
Thanks Tim, are you also going to do HM100?

Yes I'll do HM100 settings too. The first goal will be to match the HM100 to a profile for the HM700. It won't be that difficult.
Quote:

I also was wondering about your impressions on controls on HM100 model. I have to decide between Panny HMC150 and JVC HM100. However I am not that keen on AVCHD, particularly editing in FCS2.

I own a Panasonic SD100 that I use just for home movies and I hate the log & transfer process of transoding the AVCHD into ProRes or AIC. Now that I've dragged and dropped XDCAM EX MOVs I cringe just thinking about AVCHD.
Quote:

Particularly I am hesitant about aperture/shutter button and combined focus/zoom ring.

Well these are the consumer-ish aspects of the HM100 design. The ring is what it is. Just assign it as focus and use the zoom toggle with your right hand. It is a servo controlled lens anyway so zooming with a ring is somewhat pointless. You would never be able to "snap zoom" with it anyway.
As for the aperture and shutter controls I don't mind the shutter control being out of the way. It is something you would normally just set and leave anyway, but I do wish the iris control had been designed as a dial near the front of the camera.

Robert Rogoz May 9th, 2009 04:16 PM

Thanks Tim for (as usual) in depths answer.

Robert Rogoz May 16th, 2009 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood (Post 1140366)
Yes I'll do HM100 settings too. The first goal will be to match the HM100 to a profile for the HM700. It won't be that difficult.

I also think due to the format it would be very useful to match Sony EX1/EX3 to HM100. I think you'll find a lot of people using this sort of combination.

Keith Moreau May 17th, 2009 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Rogoz (Post 1144159)
I also think due to the format it would be very useful to match Sony EX1/EX3 to HM100. I think you'll find a lot of people using this sort of combination.

I would second that wish as an EX1 owner and a new HM100 owner wishing to intercut them. I use the CINE gammas mostly on the EX and I've chosen those on the HM100 and like them although I'd like to get more latitude out of them.

Marcello Mazzilli May 17th, 2009 12:18 PM

I found that by default SONY cameras match better colours than JVC, that tend to have a slight green/yellow white. I am talking of a slight colour variation but it can be easily viewd.. just watch with your eyes what you are shooting both in reality and through the camera. I would appreciate a "real white" setting.

Sean Adair May 18th, 2009 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcello Mazzilli (Post 1144298)
I found that by default SONY cameras match better colours than JVC, that tend to have a slight green/yellow white. I am talking of a slight colour variation but it can be easily viewd.. just watch with your eyes what you are shooting both in reality and through the camera. I would appreciate a "real white" setting.

The JVC wb presets are a bit colored, but with a manual wb setting I find a very natural look. Tim'e dsc should please you though if you are looking to produce without a color/look treatment.

Marcello Mazzilli June 5th, 2009 05:28 AM

Still no picture files? :(

Calvin Bellows June 5th, 2009 10:31 AM

I'm really interested in seeing some scene files. I have always had an engineer to set up my camera so I have no idea how adjusting the gamma, toe etc will affect the final picture. As well coming from a news world all the cine stuff is kinda confusing. I am really looking forward to Tim's new DVD as I hope he explains all of this in detail.

Marcello Mazzilli July 9th, 2009 05:30 AM

No picture files yet? Are there some problems?

Tim Dashwood July 9th, 2009 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcello Mazzilli (Post 1169256)
No picture files yet? Are there some problems?

I've just been plain busy on the new tutorials along with my day jobs. I have so much stuff to upload!
I just got some new charts from DSC, including a custom linear grad for determining gamma curve response. There will be good stuff soon enough.