Tutorial DVD or Blu-Ray? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

View Poll Results: What is your preferred format for "The Complete Guide to ProHD Volume II?"
$59.95 NTSC DVD (region free) 25 32.47%
$69.95 PAL DVD (regions 2, 3, 4, 5, 6) 8 10.39%
$69.95 1080p Blu-Ray (region free) 17 22.08%
$39.95 Flash Web-based Subscription to all content 17 22.08%
$ 2.95 iTunes Dowloadable iPod Mini-Tutorials 23 29.87%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 16th, 2009, 11:25 AM   #1
Wrangler

Tutorial DVD or Blu-Ray?

We are currently in production on Volume II of "The Complete Guide to ProHD" featuring the HM100 & HM700 cameras. The last time we produced NTSC region-free DVDs which were universally playable around the world. We had prepared PAL versions but the demand was so low we couldn't justify a minimum replication order of 1000 units.
When we demonstrated features that affected HD details we would do a 1:1 pixel blowup to demonstrate the effects, which I think was as effective as having it in HD.
I only received a few requests last time for Blu-Ray, but we are actually considering it this time as the primary format. A little market research is required before we commit to the higher replication costs.

I've also included some web-based options in the poll above. We of course will be releasing more free content but there's no way we can do that with the almost 4 hours of material that was included on the DVD.

If you're on the fence you can choose more than one option in the poll.
Old May 16th, 2009, 11:35 AM   #2
Trustee

I would need a standard DVD as I don't have a way to play Blu-Ray disks.

Also, standard DVDs could be played in virtually any computer, laptap, or set top player, making the DVD more valuable as a reference, not just a Blu-Ray viewing experience.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2009, 12:01 PM   #3
Wrangler

I tend to agree with you Jack. The information itself is more important than seeing in HD. I would still like to get a grasp on how many people shooting HD have actually upgraded to Blu-Ray and an HDTV. A trip to my local Best-Buy would suggest "everyone" has but I don't think that is the reality.
Old May 16th, 2009, 12:18 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I read an article a few months ago that at least one duplicating service was _planning_ on stamping dual-format discs which were Blu-Ray on one side, and could be flipped for the same content in DVD format.

I have an HDTV but haven't settled on a Blu-Ray player yet as that tech is still on a rapidly-declining price curve and the feature set is still expanding. (Plus, I have no burner, so I'm not compelled to get a player in the living room until I get a burner.)

I suspect a number of fence-sitters are out there... personally, I'd be willing to pay $5 or $10 extra for a training course now, if it came with both DVD and Blu-Ray media.

It doesn't have to be the specialized dual-format disc, it could be two discs. With a niche market such as yours, there is little risk of people just giving away the 2nd disc. The big studios, of course, don't produce two discs in one package because people would be tempted to give away their unused copy... that's why one producer has come up with the flip-format idea... it's something you can't give away.
Bob Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2009, 02:07 PM   #5
Wrangler

Ironically it was JVC who invented the hybrid DVD/Blu-Ray technology about 5 years ago but I don't think it was ever accepted by the standards organizations. Their technology allowed for both formats to exist on the same side of the disc. The double-sided idea is interesting. I'll start exploring that as well.

BTW I think the best cost vs functionality Blu-Ray player is the PS3. It also acts as a great media player that can be linked to the edit suite via Nullriver Medialink (or similar.)
The only thing it can't do (yet) is play native XDCAM EX MP4 or Quicktime wrapped files. wmv & m2t no problem.
Old May 16th, 2009, 04:03 PM   #6
Major Player

I have a blu-ray and it is the bomb! There is a big difference (at least for me) in picture and sound quality. I must also state I am not a pixel peeper. Tim, you must make a judgment call as far as the expense of BD print vs DVD print.
I would like to see HM100 and 700 as separate DVD's, as I am not buying HM700.
However at the end I voted for web-based distribution. Particularly iTunes idea would be great, as I'd buy only the parts I want.
Robert Rogoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2009, 09:18 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Don't bother with Blu-Ray, this year at least. Recordable Blu-Ray is still too expensive. All the home distribution HD work I do goes to DVD still. The only request I get for Blu-Ray is from an independent film distributor but the 95% of the screening rooms / theaters with HD projectors around this country don't have Blu-Ray so the distributor can't go that route yet.
Old May 17th, 2009, 12:16 PM   #8
Major Player

I agree on what people are saying about blueray, still.. a 10$ difference is not much for the opportunity of dealing with all the techinical issues connected to our cameras. Many are about quality, detail, contrast, noise, etc... and having the ability to view a Blueray done by a professional DOP is a nice opportunity. I suggest that you edit and finalize in Blueray, do the 1000 copies (or more) in DVD but keep a Blueray master. I think here in this forum (professional users) can do with a home-made copy (Verbatim sells 25 Gb bluerays at 6 euros) without cover etc... Maybe that can be a compromise solution. I bet you are doing an HD master anyway.
Marcello Mazzilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2009, 01:34 PM   #9
New Boot

An extra $10, or around 15 percent, for all non-US markets?
David Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2009, 06:56 PM   #10
Wrangler

The extra $10 built into the International version is to offset the costs of transcribing, translating and subtitling in French, Spanish and possibly other languages. I'm not sure how important this is to users of a camera with menus in English? I would guess there is an advantage for comprehension to reading a translation (however poor) in your native language. We did it last time but it was a pain and delayed the final printing by weeks.
Also, I found a replicator who will do a smaller order (still 500 units) but the cost is still considerably higher. With all things considered and the feedback received so far PAL DVD probably won't be an option.

The more I crunch the numbers on the Blu-Ray the more it seems like a big headache with AACS licensing fees and a limited number of replication facilities.

I will still of course shoot and post everything in HD (like last time) but I may author in Adobe Encore this time to facilitate DVD and interactive Flash. I think we can do some sort of customer authenticator with Flash but the initial download would be very large.

Marcello... the one-off BD-R idea might be an option for the few people interested, but the price will probably have to exceed $99/unit, at least until recordable BD media comes down in price.
Old May 17th, 2009, 07:40 PM   #11
Regular Crew

licensing fees

"The more I crunch the numbers on the Blu-Ray the more it seems like a big headache with AACS licensing fees and a limited number of replication facilities."

I was under the impression that to replicate Blue Ray was completely impractical for small producers as the licensing was made the cost was prohibitive.

Tim could you give me an idea of costings inc license fee as I might be mistaken.

regards
Ian Skurrie
Ian Skurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 03:59 AM   #12
Regular Crew

I've just purchased a new 17" MacBook Pro and will shortly buy a HM100 and would love a dvd like you are talking about.

Interestingly, the new MacBook Pro doesn't have a Blueray player, and logic would suggest that many(?) HM100 users will be using Apple products, or at least that is why I am considering buying my first ever JVC camera.

So Blueray doesn't make any sense for me as a international consumer. I edit on a computer so want to watch my training materials on my editing suite aka ripple training.

My 2 cents anyway!
John McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 04:30 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood View Post
T
Marcello... the one-off BD-R idea might be an option for the few people interested, but the price will probably have to exceed $99/unit, at least until recordable BD media comes down in price.
I found Verbatim 25 Gb at around 5.50 € + VAT (NIERLE MEDIA Webshop | Rohlinge (CD-R, DVD-R, DVD+R etc.), Speicherkarten, CD-/DVD-Hüllen, USB-Zubehör uvm. if you buy the 25x box). I don't think there is that much difference with high quantities.
Marcello Mazzilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 08:51 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Quicktime on DVD data disks? QT has interactive features also.
Old May 18th, 2009, 09:41 AM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Skurrie View Post
"The more I crunch the numbers on the Blu-Ray the more it seems like a big headache with AACS licensing fees and a limited number of replication facilities."

I was under the impression that to replicate Blue Ray was completely impractical for small producers as the licensing was made the cost was prohibitive.

Tim could you give me an idea of costings inc license fee as I might be mistaken.

regards
Ian Skurrie
Here is an overview of costs and licensing fees:
Blu-ray Blues: Navigating the troublesome realities of Blu-ray licensing and distribution.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems