DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-800-700-600-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   JVC KA-MR100G SxS (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-800-700-600-series-camera-systems/235562-jvc-ka-mr100g-sxs.html)

Gregory Murphy May 12th, 2009 11:42 AM

JVC KA-MR100G SxS

I have just bought the JVC HM700 camera with the sxs recorder fitted. JVC emailed me the firmware to get it up and running and told me over the phone how to do it. However I had already bought the MxR expresscard 34 reader for it, hoping to use the SDHC cards instead of the SXS cards but the MR100G does not recognise the card while inserted. I'm wondering is the MR100G only set-up to recognise SXS cards. Can anybody else out there help me? Greg.

Olof Ekbergh May 12th, 2009 02:49 PM

I believe the issue is that the SDHC cards work through a USB interface, Sony had to update firmware on the EX1 to be able to use their hard drive and that is what enables the use of SDHC card adapters too.

So JVC will probably have to issue a Firmware update as well to use the USB interface.

David Heath May 12th, 2009 05:54 PM

If you want to use SDHC cards with the HM700, can you not just put them straight into the SD slot of the camera itself?

Gregory Murphy May 13th, 2009 09:15 AM

ka-mr100g

I would like to use an SDHC card in the SXS recorder as a backup of the SDHC card in the camera. Its not worth buying a SXS card just for that so an adapter would be very useful and a lot cheaper.

Marcello Mazzilli May 14th, 2009 05:01 AM

Great idea.. let us know if you find something that works with it
M

Matt Davis May 15th, 2009 01:52 AM

IIRC, the SDHC adaptors work with the EX line only because of the adaptions built into these cameras for the Sony PHU-60K disk recording device which is strictly a USB device.

If the PHU-60K does NOT work with the JVC's SxS (which I think is the case), then I would also surmise that the JVC will NOT take the SDHC cards as its SxS does not have the USB capability that makes the 'magic' work.

Gregory Murphy May 18th, 2009 05:48 AM

Jvc ka-mr100g sxs

Does this mean that there is no adapter that will work or would a PCIe compact flash adapter work?

Matt Davis May 18th, 2009 08:46 AM

It only means that the current EX1-style SDHC adaptors work via USB. From then on, we get into conjecture.

IIRC, it's moot because the new JVCs record QT to SDHC and the SxS is just an add-on.

Eric Deyerler May 18th, 2009 12:12 PM

Normally comes KA-MR100G SxS with a 8 GB SxS-Card, says the JVC-people to me.
Isn`t it?

Matt Davis May 18th, 2009 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Deyerler (Post 1144839)
Isn`t it?

I think wires are getting crossed. SxS in SxS slot - no problem. SDHC in adaptor in SxS slot - unresolved, and risky if you're betting the farm on this.

Ron Edwards May 29th, 2009 11:51 AM

SDHC cards in SS Module

Since you are looking to use SDHC cards in your SxS module you must not need the module at all. Sell your module and purchase several SDHC cards and HOT SWAP them one at a time on the fly. Less equipment ... the KISS theory.

Sean Adair May 30th, 2009 09:50 AM

Ron, I think the reason he wants to do this is to take advantage of recording to both media systems at once, and keeping both media sets at a reasonable price.

Generally, I suspect that this backup approach is not worth the trouble. With quality tested media and proper handling, the SDHC should have an extremely low failure rate - much better than tape for instance.

The converter and added operator/handling of this backup is more likely to introduce issues than actually ever save a piece of footage.

The biggest advantage would be if 2 people had to walk away from ashoot with clones of the footage. 10 minutes with a laptop would usually cover that better.

I'd be curious to know if a way to make it work (SDHC in the SXS box with converters) does come to light.

Daniel Marr June 13th, 2010 05:51 AM

The MEAD-MS01 and MEAD-SD01

Sorry to revive an old thread but I have been wondering about the new adaptors that Sony have released earlier this year.

Does anyone know if these adaptors will work with the KA-MR100G?

Sony : MEAD-MS01 (MEADMS01) : Consumer Memory Stick Adaptor for SxS

Sony : MEAD-SD01 (MEAD-SD01) SDHC Adaptor for SxS

Tim Dashwood June 14th, 2010 06:28 PM

No adapter will work with the KA-MR100G because the internal connection that made the adapter function in the EX1 (USB) does not exist on the HM700/790.

Daniel Marr June 15th, 2010 03:08 AM

Ok. Thanks for the clarification Tim!