DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-800-700-600-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Mixing SDHC Cards in HM700 ? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-800-700-600-series-camera-systems/236346-mixing-sdhc-cards-hm700.html)

Ron Edwards May 29th, 2009 10:28 AM

Mixing SDHC Cards in HM700 ?

Can anyone confirm it's ok to:

1.) mix two different brands of cards in the cam at the same time?

2.) mix 8 GB and 16 GB cards in the cam at the same time?

Thanks in Advance!
Ron

Jack Walker May 29th, 2009 05:02 PM

I don't know, but I will confirm that both are okay.

Before you discount my answer, ask yourself how times you have asked for directions, the person said, "I'm not sure," and then they gave you directions and you continued to listen.

Ron Edwards May 29th, 2009 09:18 PM

? ? ?

How could I "discount" such a response .... it (the answer) would first have to have value in order to eligible for any discount.
RonE

Jack Walker May 29th, 2009 10:33 PM

I have seen nothing to even suggest that the cards in the slots must match.

On the contrary, all you need is one card in either slot. While one card is recording you can change the card in the other slot. This strongly suggests the slots are independent of one another -- except when one switches to the other -- and the size of the card in the slot is unimportant. The brand of the card would also make no difference.

Eric Deyerler May 30th, 2009 01:12 AM

The SDHC-Class must be 6x (it allows a writespeed from min. 6 MB/s.), the brand or the size don`t make a problem.

Ron Edwards May 30th, 2009 06:56 AM

OK..thanks!
Ron

Sean Adair May 30th, 2009 09:02 AM

I can confirm that the camera moves seamlessly from a 16gb Delkin to a 32gb Transcend card without dropping a frame. Never had a doubt before trying either!

Marcello Mazzilli May 31st, 2009 11:15 AM

I confirm too as long as you use class 6 cards. Also.. I am using cards not listed among the "officially supported" ones in the manual with no problems at all. Still I have on doubt. The camera is supposed to be 35 Mbits but the cards are said to be 20... how can it work ?!?!?

Elvis Ripley May 31st, 2009 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcello Mazzilli (Post 1151282)
I confirm too as long as you use class 6 cards. Also.. I am using cards not listed among the "officially supported" ones in the manual with no problems at all. Still I have on doubt. The camera is supposed to be 35 Mbits but the cards are said to be 20... how can it work ?!?!?

That is the difference between Megabits and Megabytes. 35 Megabits per second is 4.375 Megabytes per second. So class 6 is guaranteed 6 Megabytes per second so you have a safe 1.625 Megabytes per second overhead.

Jack Walker May 31st, 2009 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcello Mazzilli (Post 1151282)

A Class 6 card transfers a minimum of 6 MB/s -- which is Megabytes per second.

The video is written at 35 Mb/s -- which is 35 Megabits per second.

There are 8 bits to one byte. Consequently a minimum of 6 MB/s transfer rate is the same as 48 Mb/s transfer rate.

Note: Class 6 equates to a 40x card. Many Class 6 cards are actually much higher: 66x up to 300x. Obviously with video that has a fixed maximum write rate, the faster cards are not necessary, and a slower Class 6 card -- which would be cheaper than a faster Class 6 card -- would be fine if it is of dependable quality.

These two Wikipedia pages give details:
Secure Digital card - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Data rate units - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Marcello Mazzilli June 5th, 2009 05:18 AM

I know the megabytes / megabits issue... is just that on the box of teh card I read 20Mbits but I also read Class 6.. anyway.. it works!