HM700 Example Footage - Sunset and Dusk at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old June 5th, 2009, 06:56 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HM700 Example Footage - Sunset and Dusk

I was able to take my new HM700 out for a spin Wednesday evening in Portland, Oregon.

The weather was uncharacteristically warm and muggy for this time of year, but I got some great views of the ongoing Rose Festival fun center in Waterfront Park, and walkers/joggers/bikers enjoying the Eastbank Esplanade.

The lens is a Fujinon 17x5 which currently comes bundled in the USA with the JVC GY-HM700. Most of the shots are fully zoomed, aimed across the Willamette River. As there are extremes of zoom, and a fairly wide iris at times, there is a lot of chromatic aberration in some shots.

The video was shot in 1920x1080, 30p, but edited in 1280x720, 30p (Apple Intermediate Codec), because at this time Final Cut Express does not have a sequence preset for 30p in 1920x1080 resolution. The video was exported in "high" quality, 2-pass h264 QuickTime for upload to Vimeo. No filters or color correction have been applied in FCE -- what you see is exactly the color range, brightness, and contrast that came out of the camera -- yes, the sky at dusk was really that colorful!

Here are links to the two videos on Vimeo, with notes:

SUNSET

JVC GY-HM700 Examples - Sunset on Vimeo

This footage ranges in time from about an hour before sundown, to when the sun finally drops behind the west hills of Portland. A variety of iris settings and ND filter settings were used. The shutter speed is 1/60sec ("no shutter"). The time-lapse portions are sped up in FCE by 20X.

DUSK

JVC GY-HM700 Examples - Dusk on Vimeo

This footage ranges in time from when the sun drops behind the west hills of Portland, to about an hour later, when the color has nearly gone from the sky. The iris is wide open, and no gain whatsoever is applied. The shutter speed is 1/60sec ("no shutter"). There were a few clips where I experimented with longer shutter speeds, but I have omitted these from the edited video.

If anyone _really_ wants to see a particular raw clip from the camera, please note the time index in the Vimeo video and I'll see if I can upload a clip or two somewhere for direct download. (Please don't ask for the raw clips used for the time-lapse sunset, they're huge files.)
Bob Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2009, 11:27 AM   #2
Regular Crew

OK, I guess I can be rightfully accused of brazenly fishing for comments here, but this footage has been up a week now and I'd love to hear feedback/suggestions/questions/criticism... any takers?
Old June 12th, 2009, 02:32 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Bob - please do not take any personal offense - it might be a Vimeo compression issue or something.

I viewed both clips and was unimpressed. Out of focus or very soft imagery. I rarely look further when the "resolution" or clarity is not there.

Sorry - but that imagery makes me wonder what is going on with the 700. Rumor has it that the new Canon 14x lens is being delayed due to problems.
Rick Bolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2009, 03:22 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Rick, not sure how anyone can judge anything to do with image quality on the net, especially things like sharpness and noise. Fair bit of CA from the lens but that's about all I can say.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2009, 05:08 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Steve - understood. I have seen varying degrees of image quality from various sites (Vimeo, Exposure Room, Apple Gallery, etc.) - some have much more sharpness than others. OTOH - the HD trailers (1080 or 720) from Apple are generally stunning:

Apple - Movie Trailers

Understood that those are BIG $$$ Hollywood shoots with HUGE $$$ gear.

Also - I have looked at some of the downloadable clips. I am hoping the new Canon 14x lens will work some magic for the 700.
Old June 12th, 2009, 06:18 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Let me pose a question that some of the more knowledgeable members might respond to.

The Apple HD trailers are stunning on my 1440 x 900 laptop when viewed full screen - even better on my higher resolution monitors. So the 720 HD clip was slightly upscaled and still looks wow.

There are a number of cameras with native 1920 x 1200 cmos sensors which should provide stunning detail.

What happens with Vimeo / Exposure Room "processing" that so many (most?) clips look soft or out of focus? It is difficult to tell where the issue is:

Poor performing camera

Poor performing operator (failure to focus spot on)

Vimeo & others apply so much compression to save bandwidth that.......

Some of all of the above :-0

Are there any sites dedicated to delivering short sample clips that would be free from most of the "issues" that are lowering the quality?

It is appearing to me that sample clips on those sites provides little value in a purchase decision. Tech specs may not be much better.

Thanks
Old June 12th, 2009, 08:54 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Bolton View Post
Steve - understood. I have seen varying degrees of image quality from various sites (Vimeo, Exposure Room, Apple Gallery, etc.) - some have much more sharpness than others. OTOH - the HD trailers (1080 or 720) from Apple are generally stunning:

Apple - Movie Trailers

Understood that those are BIG $$$ Hollywood shoots with HUGE $$$ gear.

Also - I have looked at some of the downloadable clips. I am hoping the new Canon 14x lens will work some magic for the 700.
Rick- majority of the movies are still shot on film. Even if it shot in digital format RED1 is a norm for a bigger budget movie. You are comparing quality of a 35mm film and digital point-shoot (as that would be an equivalent of 1/3" chip). Canon 14x will not work "magic". I predict picture will be good, but you really need to go to at least 2/3" to even get close to "stunning". A lot of channels simply will not accept any content shot on anything below 2/3" (of course your name and your previous work, along with content will go a long way)
Robert Rogoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2009, 09:22 PM   #8
Wrangler

Here's the thing about Vimeo. It has a free subscription that gives you one HD upload a week or a paid subscription where you can upload all your videos in HD and present them in HD.
I would say that most of the videos on Vimeo (including mine) are SD resolution only so the only way to judge the video is to download the source file, which shows up in the lower right for registered members.

"HD" should be "on" and scaling "off." Then go full screen.

Quote:
It is appearing to me that sample clips on those sites provides little value in a purchase decision. Tech specs may not be much better.
They shouldn't provide much value in purchasing decisions. I would never buy a mission-critical camera without testing personally. I always recommend that potential buyers go to the trade shows/roadshows or the local dealer, bring your own SDHC card and play around with the camera.
Old June 12th, 2009, 11:20 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Robert and Tim - thank you for the replies.

Let me pose a real situation. I took some footage utilizing a Canon HF 100. That has a native 1920 x 1080 chip. The results on 42" and 50" monitors is very crisp - and that is with a small" 1/2" sensor on a $500 camera :-0

I've downloaded some clips and will play them on my larger screen HDTV and compare them to the HF 100 clips.

Thanks again.........
Old June 13th, 2009, 02:53 AM   #10
Regular Crew

What`s the rumors about the Canon 14x, my dealer say it will be out in June with the new Canon 14x, in Europe with a price between 6.000 to 6.400 Euro.

The sample footage is a little bit with noise, I think the look will be better with a gain of 0 dB, Stretch-Mode for the darktones and cine-gamma.

But Tims footage is really better!
Eric Deyerler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2009, 08:19 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Eric - may be delayed until July due to some "technical issues". I hope to NOT be simply spreading a rumor but read a few threads about that.
Old June 13th, 2009, 12:45 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Deyerler View Post
The sample footage is a little bit with noise, I think the look will be better with a gain of 0 dB, Stretch-Mode for the darktones and cine-gamma.
The gain was 0db for these samples, the remainder of the processing settings were factory defaults.
Old June 13th, 2009, 12:47 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Bob - please do not take any personal offense - it might be a Vimeo compression issue or something.
Were you viewing in the Vimeo player, or did you download the original QuickTime h.264 uploaded file? (Vimeo allows downloads of the original files... that's why it's an interesting place to share videos -- I wouldn't trust the results of any re-encoded Flash video in a web player.)
Old June 13th, 2009, 04:02 PM   #14
Regular Crew

I read nothing about the technical problems, but it can be some CAs in the wide range of the 14x as seen on Tim`s NAB-Testvideos with a B-Version of the 14xCanon.
But I see also CAs on HPX301 (the CAC works only in the horinzontal line, in the other lines you can see also CAs on the HPX301-lense)

In Germany they say the HM700 with Canon 14x goes finally out in June 2009, not July.
Eric Deyerler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2009, 04:08 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Robert and Tim - thank you for the replies.

Let me pose a real situation. I took some footage utilizing a Canon HF 100. That has a native 1920 x 1080 chip. The results on 42" and 50" monitors is very crisp - and that is with a small" 1/2" sensor on a $500 camera :-0

I've downloaded some clips and will play them on my larger screen HDTV and compare them to the HF 100 clips.

Thanks again.........
Rick, yes you always have to compare price vs performance vs workflow. There is no "ideal" camera. Canon- lack of manual controls and AVCHD is an issue. Also lack of progressive scan (24/30 is in 60i stream), so most likely Cineform is a must. Also a big minus is lack of sound controls- you'll need to buy Beachtek adopter.
So the question is- how much shooting and editing are you going to do with it?
Robert Rogoz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems