Newest MacBook Pro has SDHC slot! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old June 8th, 2009, 11:13 AM   #1
Major Player

Newest MacBook Pro has SDHC slot!

Make that Macbook (not pro!)

You heard it here first! Replacing the express card slot. Makes sense.
Will be a nice field companion for the JVC cams.
This is the 15" macbook (not PRO) starting from under $1200 with built in battery announced today. Configure up to 3.06GHz Intel Dual Core processor with 6MB Level 2 Cache & up to 8gb RAM.

Oh Yeah! Do I hear edit in the field?

Last edited by Sean Adair; June 8th, 2009 at 12:04 PM.
Sean Adair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2009, 11:20 AM   #2
Wrangler

WOW! Sony won't be happy about that (just like Panasonic wasn't happy when the ExpressCard was introduced with Macbook Pro, replacing PCMCIA.)

The thing is, what about the Expresscard I/O adapters (like AJA are making) that now won't be compatible? Will there be some other high-speed interface?

EDIT: I just read that the 17" model will retain the ExpressCard slot. Even the 13" Macbook will have the SDHC slot, which is now apparently also called a Macbook Pro.
Old June 8th, 2009, 11:57 AM   #3
Major Player

In my opinion that is a BAD thing. You can always get a SDHC Card reader for your express card slot... heck you can get one that will read any card. But, now you can't use the express card slot for things like ESATA, extra firewire or usb buses, blackmagic or aja devices, etc. I think it was a step backward.
RED One #6135 "Spartacus"
Andrew Waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2009, 12:09 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Waite View Post
In my opinion that is a BAD thing. You can always get a SDHC Card reader for your express card slot... heck you can get one that will read any card. But, now you can't use the express card slot for things like ESATA, extra firewire or usb buses, blackmagic or aja devices, etc. I think it was a step backward.
I agree 100%. What are they thinking? USB reader works just fine for .mov files. That leaves EX1 and 3 users without support in the future.
Robert Rogoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2009, 12:09 PM   #5
Major Player

my bad - Tim D - if you can edit the title of my post- it was a typo.

Yes this is the 13" macbook (which is effectively a macbook pro now, with FW800, integrated battery, better graphics/speed etc etc) The unibody.
The nomenclature is still a bit unclear - I guess only the plastic model will be a non "pro" model?

Bottom line, awesome little machines for $1200.

Andrew - the macbook pro 17" retains the expresscard slot. Makes sense.
The macbooks had NO slots before.
Old June 8th, 2009, 12:13 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Adair View Post
Bottom line, awesome little machines for $1200.

Andrew - the macbook pro 17" retains the expresscard slot. Makes sense.
The macbooks had NO slots before.
They were also 300 bucks cheaper. So in essence they are eliminating MacBook line all together forcing people to pay $1200 minimum. I am sure a lot of college kids will be super happy about that.
Robert Rogoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2009, 12:16 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Rogoz View Post
I agree 100%. What are they thinking? USB reader works just fine for .mov files. That leaves EX1 and 3 users without support in the future.
stuff 'em if they can't take a joke! They can go back to their own forum section. Or, if they're smart. simply use the adapter to shoot on SDHC. I'll get you started if you pay me the difference in card cost...

Seriously, you'll simply get a firewire or usb reader for express cards if you need that - or stiock wioth the 17". But don't expect it to last forever....

It's a much smaller audience than those that use cheap SDHC cards.
SDHC cards are getting faster (new classes are being announced) and error correcting.

They are ubiquitous in digital SLRs and as non-proprietary efficient designs, they deserve to be built-in.
Old June 8th, 2009, 02:36 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Waite View Post
I agree Andrew. I can't figure out why they left ExpressCard off the 15". Maybe they know something about powered-bus esata? Maybe they are banking on USB 3.0 for high throughput applications? They must have statistics on the use of ExpressCard to back up that decision, but its going to alienate moblie pros that use the bus for eSATA drives or EVDO. This does make the fact that firewire was left off the MacBook make sense now though. I'm just trying to figure out why they think the ExpressCard is obsolete. They wouldn't trash it for no reason. Its only a 5 year old technology, and if you really want an SDHC card reader in that space buy an ExpressCard version...
Joel Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2009, 02:39 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:

Seriously, you'll simply get a firewire or usb reader for express cards if you need that...
No such option exists.

*Edit* - I think I see what you mean. You're saying get a reader for SxS cards. That use for the ExpressCard bus constitutes an extremely small fraction of the total applications for the slot.

Sort of O.T.: I wonder what sort of speed the SDHC slot will offer? USB 2.0 speed? ExpressCard speed?
Old June 8th, 2009, 03:00 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Rogoz View Post
They were also 300 bucks cheaper. So in essence they are eliminating MacBook line all together forcing people to pay $1200 minimum. I am sure a lot of college kids will be super happy about that.
Actually, not so Robert. The plastic recently updated (2 weeks ago?) macbook is still $999 (less at resellers).
The unibody 13.3" mac laptop has dropped $100 in price with SIGNIFICANT upgrades across the line. SDHC reader and firewire were previously unavailable on a mac at this price. It's a small screen, but also very light and very fully featured.

I'll be getting one of the first, having just cancelled an order for the previous generation. I'm really buzzed about having the built-in card reader for the JVC and Nikon D90, plus firewire for fast external drive or options like the aja i/o, and a much extended battery life -- for $100 less! Plus little performance bumps.

Given the body/screen/specs, the name change makes sense.

Those that need the express card reader do need the 17" instead of the 15" now - or tie up the camera instead of continuing to shoot, which MOST people can do. But for the majority of users, these are extremely positive updates.

You can always grab a reduced price express card 15" macpro at a discount if that's important to you. But IMHO it's going the way of the P2 cards (had a G4 powerbook that read those, but luckily only shot a few weeks with the HVX200 which I disliked.
Old June 8th, 2009, 03:27 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Peregrine View Post
No such option exists.

*Edit* - I think I see what you mean. You're saying get a reader for SxS cards. That use for the ExpressCard bus constitutes an extremely small fraction of the total applications for the slot.

Sort of O.T.: I wonder what sort of speed the SDHC slot will offer? USB 2.0 speed? ExpressCard speed?
Won't this work with an SxS card? ($20)
SIIG, Inc. : USB to ExpressCard - (JU-EP0012-S1 )
IF it works will be slower than the old solution, I expect.

My expectation is that this will be a full speed SDHC slot interface in the new macpro, as opposed to most card readers which lag. I expect it will be hardwired to the board. Even USB 2.0 could be a bottleneck as we move to class 10 SDHC cards.

Next jump is to 50mbps XDCAM HD!?
Old June 8th, 2009, 07:23 PM   #12
Wrangler

The keynote speech has been posted at Apple - QuickTime - Apple WWDC Keynote Address
Old June 9th, 2009, 09:36 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Won't this work with an SxS card? ($20)
SIIG, Inc. : USB to ExpressCard - (JU-EP0012-S1 )
IF it works will be slower than the old solution, I expect.
Yes, but I have no need for SxS. I've based my storage on eSATA and own two MacBook Pros, each with eSATA ExpressCards that are putting out 70-80 MB/sec from a single drive. I also have ExpressCards for Firewire 800, EVDO and the Matrox MXO mini. Its still hard to believe that Apple would cut the only really multi-use port on anything but the 17". But like I said - they usually make up for drastic changes like this in some way. I just wish they'd be more forthcoming about future options for people that will be left without options and useless hardware.
Old June 9th, 2009, 10:00 AM   #14
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Peregrine View Post
I agree Andrew. I can't figure out why they left ExpressCard off the 15". Maybe they know something about powered-bus esata? Maybe they are banking on USB 3.0 for high throughput applications? They must have statistics on the use of ExpressCard to back up that decision, but its going to alienate moblie pros that use the bus for eSATA drives or EVDO. This does make the fact that firewire was left off the MacBook make sense now though. I'm just trying to figure out why they think the ExpressCard is obsolete. They wouldn't trash it for no reason. Its only a 5 year old technology, and if you really want an SDHC card reader in that space buy an ExpressCard version...
During the keynote Phil Schiller said that less than 1% of the Macbook Pro customer base actually used the ExpressCard slot, and that sector was restricted to the very "high-end" professional. That's why they left the ExpressCard slot on the 17", which is considered the best model.
Look at how much the prices have dropped for the Macbook Pro. I wonder how much of that has to do with dropping Expresscard?
SDHC is used on such a wide variety of DSLRs and video cameras that the decision actually does make sense to me.
Old June 9th, 2009, 10:59 AM   #15
Major Player

I'm glad I got the 15" when I did, the 17" is too large for my liking. Surely expresscard support isn't too expensive, a lot of cheapo laptops have it and it is far more flexible than an SD port. Even if you don't plan on using it, sometimes you still want the option.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems