DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-800-700-600-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   JVC ProHD Clip Manager Software and QuickTime... Compatible? Necessary? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-800-700-600-series-camera-systems/237603-jvc-prohd-clip-manager-software-quicktime-compatible-necessary.html)

Bob Richardson June 18th, 2009 04:35 PM

JVC ProHD Clip Manager Software and QuickTime... Compatible? Necessary?

The JVC GY-HM700 camera comes with JVC's ProHD Clip Manager software on CD-ROM.

The documentation included on the CD for this software only mentions .MP4 files, not the QuickTime-wrapped .MOV files.

In fact, after playing around with the software, I cannot get it to find any clips I have recorded on SDHC card, taken directly from the camera.

That isn't a big deal, as I've been able to use the .MOV files independently, directly on the timeline without modification.

But the HM700 manual seems to imply that only the clip manager software can combine long clips which span multiple files into a single, coherent clip. Am I going to run into trouble with longer clips if I don't use the clip manager software? Am I losing important metadata? And if that's the case, how do I get the clip manager to recognize and display .MOV files?

Eric Deyerler June 19th, 2009 01:50 AM

You can drag and drop the HM700-clips to your Final Cut Pro 6-Timeline, with FinalcutPro 5.2 you need to install Perian with XDCAM EX-component.
Then you don`t need the clipmanager. When a clip is recorded on two cards you can put the twoclips seamless together in the timeline and edit them. Don`t worry!

Peter Erfurt June 19th, 2009 02:32 AM

Agree to the above - but wouldn't it have been nice, if JVC had build in a codec in the Clip-manager, that would allow us poor PC-owners to convert clips on-the-fly for import in for example Premiere, without having to buy third-party software :-).

That way the Clip.manager could be of use for PC-owners too...

Matthias Krause June 19th, 2009 07:08 AM

Just get Sony´s clip manager. Works like a charm with a PC and it´s free too. Much better than the JVC.

Peter Erfurt June 19th, 2009 07:32 AM

Matthias - does it work with .MOV-files (I have a HM700)?

Tim Dashwood June 19th, 2009 09:42 PM

It isn't necessary if you already have MOV files. The primary function of the application is to rewrap MP4 XDCAM EX files into .MOV so they can be edited in FCP, which is a step that is handled in the HM100 or HM700 by simply recording in MOV.
Yes there is some added value like the ability to modify the meta data, but it's just a step in the workflow that I'm sure most EX1/EX3 users wish they could skip.

If you didn't know whether you should supply MOV or MP4 to the editor because you weren't sure of the software being used then it would make sense to record in MP4 on the HM100/HM700XT and then just wrap the MP4 files in MOV if necessary for FCP post work.

It looks like JVC's version is identical to Sony's v1.0 from 2007.
You can download the latest version (2.9.0) of Sony's XDCAM Transfer from here: https://servicesplus.us.sony.biz/son...el-PDZKP1.aspx

It of course works perfectly with MP4 files generated by the HM100 or HM700XT.

Sean Adair June 20th, 2009 10:37 AM

Hmm. What about a software utility that can take the .mov files and convert them to .mp4? For those without the SxS, it would be very useful. My own workflow is FCP & .mov, but I do have to supply files for others on a regular basis.

Is there anything (QT pro, mpeg streamclip) that can take the mov and rewrap it without transcoding?

Again -I don't need it for MY workflow, but for potential integration with client editing systems.

Tim Dashwood June 20th, 2009 01:00 PM

It's a great idea Sean... and earlier this year I mentioned a need for an "unwrapper" to the developers at Calibrated{Q} Software (XD Decode & MP4-EX Import) and Divergent Media (ClipWrap & Scopebox.)
We'll have to wait and see if either of them come up with such an application.