Converting Mpeg4 into DVDs. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old June 21st, 2009, 06:12 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Converting Mpeg4 into DVDs.

Hi,
Can anyone pl tell me how I can best convert my Mpeg4 HD videos shot off my HM100E into viewable DVD files that I can play on a regular DVD player, without compromising much on the quality of the original footage? Am Currently using my HM100E for home video purposes only.
The supplied ProHD software is only a clip manager/viewer.
I am looking for the solution on Windows platform.
Thanks for the help...

Last edited by Amir Jaffar; June 21st, 2009 at 07:03 AM.
Amir Jaffar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2009, 07:11 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I change the formats with MPEG-Streamclip,
you find it under Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac and Windows
Eric Deyerler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2009, 08:16 AM   #3
Major Player

HM100 is MPEG2 long GOP, not Mpeg4. MP4 is just a wrapper container. You'll create your DVD as from any MPEG2 footage.
Robert Rogoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2009, 02:17 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hey guys..
I'm really a dunce when it comes to technicalities. Thanks really for your help. I bought the camera for personal use and I love it's footage. And I thought the ProHD bundled software would solve my issues, but that's something else.

Eric.. I downloaded the MPEG streamclip and the message I get when opening MP4 is "file open error:unrecognized file type" Can you pl tell me what I'm doing wrong. The MP4 files are transferred directly from Cam to my PC.

Robert, what you said lit up my eyes, since it sounds so easy. Now only if you could help me get that MP4 wrapper off, I'd be most happy. I am assuming one of the ways is what Eric suggested, but just wondering if there is something you do differently.

Thanks for your help again..
Old June 21st, 2009, 03:49 PM   #5
Major Player

Amir, you'll need an editing program, something like Vegas or Avid, that will work on PC. I am not familiar with them, as I only use Final Cut from Apple. Before you purchase make sure that the program will support Sony XDCAM (which this camera records in). What you will need to do is: import your clips into timeline of the program, make your cuts, adjust with filters (if you want) and make titles (if you want). Then you'll export the timeline and use a utility (program) to author a DVD.
For viewing the clips on PC here is the link: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/jvc-gy-hm...y-back-pc.html
You might want to check some tutorials on line for editing XDCAM, I am sure you'll find some on youtube and other sites.
I think you bought quite advanced camera for the beginner, therefor your learning curve will be steep. It might looks like impossible task at first, but if you read enough and stick with it you'll start gaining knowledge and understanding.
Old June 22nd, 2009, 06:45 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks Robert..
pl bear with me ;)

I managed to convert my mov clips into a DVD on an FCP, but the quality I got was 1/4th of my original footage. My original mov clips were around 7GB but the final output occupied only 1.6 GB on the DVD. My operator told me this was the best quality video he could burn.Although it was not bad, but I really love my original footage and I want my dvds to be close to it. Is there a way to better the resolution on the output?

Also my MP4 footage could not be opened in the FCP. It couldn't read the files. Any idea why?

I am finding out other ways to figure out my issues.. but any help is highly appreciated.
Thanks.
Old June 22nd, 2009, 07:00 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Why MP4 with the HM100, the best is to make
Quicktime .mov with the HM100/700 then direct
to edit with Finalcutpro, when you got an older
Finalcutproversion you need the Perian with
XDCam-EX-Plugin.

On a DVD you only get SD-Resolution at a maximum
resolution like 1024x576, higher resolution only
with Bluerays.

My way for better previews is to make
a Quicktime .mp4 (H264) with AAC-Audio
and play it over HDMI with my WesternDigital
Mediaplayer, it's the cheapest way to view
HD.
Eric Deyerler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2009, 10:46 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amir Jaffar View Post
Thanks Robert..
pl bear with me ;)

I managed to convert my mov clips into a DVD on an FCP, but the quality I got was 1/4th of my original footage. My original mov clips were around 7GB but the final output occupied only 1.6 GB on the DVD. My operator told me this was the best quality video he could burn.Although it was not bad, but I really love my original footage and I want my dvds to be close to it. Is there a way to better the resolution on the output?

Also my MP4 footage could not be opened in the FCP. It couldn't read the files. Any idea why?

I am finding out other ways to figure out my issues.. but any help is highly appreciated.
Thanks.
OK Amir
First of all, if you are using Final Cut you should be recoding in .mov not in .mp4. I don't know what version of Final Cut are you using? Is it Final Cut Studio (FCP5) or Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP6). I don't think FCP5 is supporting XDCAM codec (which you recorded in). In FCP6 you'll need to use "Log and Transfer" window to capture XDCAM files form your camera. In Final Cut 5 you'll need to install XDCAM plug-in from Sony (free).
You should set in your camera menu to record in .mov. Then take the card out, put the card into the reader, copy/paste .mov files into a folder (make a new folder for each project). If I were you I would buy an external HDD (with Firewire 800 connection) and use it as your drive to keep all your files. When you open Final Cut app, in the settings make the same drive your "scratch disc" and save your render files on it as well.
When you export use Quicktime conversion option instead of Compressor. Recently I was using ProRes HQ as my preset, so it doesn't lose the quality.
I am not surprised you are losing the quality by burning a DVD, as any program (DVD Studio PRo or Toast) will compress even more the signal.
If you have BD Player this is what you can do- export by Quicktime Conversion in H264, then burn a DVD in Toast 9 or 10 as BlueRay DVD. The quality should be better.
Old June 22nd, 2009, 11:14 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks Eric and Robert..
I am getting there.. I really am.

Just a day of to and fro has taught me enough on this forum. Since I'd been testing my camera, I recorded on both MOV and MP4. I knew I'd have to take MOV to FCP (it was FPC6) and I thought I'd use MP4 on my PC since I do not have a Mac yet. I am experimenting with Vegas right for now.

I thought it'd be as easy as downloading a converter from the net and convert my MOV and MP4 into MPEG2 and burn them on dvd. Boy was I naive. haha

Thanks for your help. I'll bother you guys in case I get stuck again.
thanks again.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 08:52 AM   #10
JVC

Amir,

For a quick conversion to DVD format, you may want to try a free program called WinFF, which is actually a graphical interface for FFMPEG. There are versions for Windows and Linux that you can download at WinFF - Free Video Converter

This program lets you play and convert most of the formats created with the GY-HM cameras including .mov 1080i/35Mbps. It doesn't seem to like 720/p60 files, however. There are presets for some common file conversions, and you can create your own (and specify the quality level) and save them as presets.

You asked how to do this "without compromising much on the quality of the original footage." Please keep in mind that converting to a DVD file reduces your image from HD to standard definition.

Let us know if this works for you.

Dave Walton
Asst. V.P. Marketing Communications
JVC U.S.A.

Last edited by David Walton; June 23rd, 2009 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Minor addition
David Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2009, 12:55 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Yes David,
I easily managed to convert MOV files to Mpeg and with decent quality with the WinFF, albeit with SD resolution since it was output to DVD. But that's the trade off I guess, till I get my blue ray recorders... Thanks so much for the tip, considering it came straight from the horse's mouth. ;-)
Cheers.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 09:49 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amir Jaffar View Post
Yes David,
I easily managed to convert MOV files to Mpeg and with decent quality with the WinFF, albeit with SD resolution since it was output to DVD. But that's the trade off I guess, till I get my blue ray recorders... Thanks so much for the tip, considering it came straight from the horse's mouth. ;-)
Cheers.
I am afraid why you need to convert your MP4 files in to MPEG2? Which editing software are you using? If you using MAC no need to convert files, you know that. But I am sure your editing software can recognize your MP4 files! Supplied software maybe helps you to convert those files in to MPEG2.

Can you do me one favor, if you can send me small clip, so I can check it, I would really appreciate if you can upload small clip of MP4. If you can please upload on MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

Thanks,
Kaushik
Kaushik Parmar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems