Is anyone using for Wildlife ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old June 21st, 2009, 03:02 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Is anyone using for Wildlife ?

Is anyone using the HM700 for Wildife...I'd love to see some clips.

Thanks

DAve

P.S. Can anyone recommend a good Tripod/Head combo for this cam ?
Dave Tyrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2009, 11:44 PM   #2
Major Player

I'm planning on a Cartoni Focus perhaps with carbon fiber legs for my HD110 with IDX/FE DTE drive + extras or with a HM700 that I might get later this month. Otherwise I hear decent reviews of Miller 20 and even a cheap Libec 38 or bigger. The only Manfrotto that is worth anything is the bigger 516 head. Basically get a fluid head that it's max weight is 2x the weight of your camera, since most manufactorers inflate how much their tripods and heads can handle anyway.
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2009, 01:37 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Could be a good cam for wildlife. CCDs so no rolling shutter with fast moving subjects, 1/3" chi gives big magnification, small size and weight for portability.
As for tripod, if funds allow I'd go O'Connor 1030 on Sachtler HD CF legs, it'll blow anything else in its weight range away.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2009, 03:52 AM   #4
Regular Crew

The Libec 38 looks like a good choice for a beginner like me. I can work my way up to something better at a later stage. Although someone in one of the shops I phoned said the 75mm bowl wouldn't be big enough and that I should go for the Libec LS60.

Last edited by Dave Tyrer; June 22nd, 2009 at 07:12 AM.
Dave Tyrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2009, 04:14 PM   #5
Regular Crew

The Libec H38 fluid video tripod head seems like the best bet for under $500, or maybe more than that.

Too bad the Miller DV Solo heads don't get as good of reviews as that Libec and the older H37 it replaced -- I love their ENG/pro/nicer heads. Best feel, by my hand trials at NAB Expo some years back.
Shaun Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2009, 02:23 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Tyrer View Post
The Libec 38 looks like a good choice for a beginner like me. I can work my way up to something better at a later stage. Although someone in one of the shops I phoned said the 75mm bowl wouldn't be big enough and that I should go for the Libec LS60.
The Libec 38 is well beyond a "beginner" tripod. I spent some reasonable hands on time with various models from Cartoni, Bogen / Manfretto and a few others.

The Libec 38 was my choice - ZERO - let me say that again - ZERO backlash. Some units costing much more had backlash present.
Rick Bolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2009, 06:51 PM   #7
Major Player

I have yet to hear anything BAD about a Libec 38 from anyone. They are simpler heads that don't have adjustable counterbalances. I just need to find one withing 6 hour drive of where I live to put my gear on it and see how the counterbalance works for me. Hence I'm thinking the 100mm Cartoni Focus.. but yes, nothing but positive recomendations from Libec 38 and larger unites form people on this forum (and others) with cameras in our weight class. no question.
Old June 24th, 2009, 07:48 PM   #8
Regular Crew

The Cartoni Focus I used had significant backlash. The Libec 38 easily handles cameras in the prosumer weight range - up to 17.5 pounds.
Old June 25th, 2009, 09:43 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Bolton View Post
The Cartoni Focus I used had significant backlash. The Libec 38 easily handles cameras in the prosumer weight range - up to 17.5 pounds.
Rick, Thanks! I might just order a Libec 38 and see how it goes. (I'm making do with a Mathews 25 that is fine for under 7lbs.. my gear is about 12lbs) I'm going to put on my HD110 or HM700 (next month??) old Nikkor telephoto lenses that weigh about twice the 16x and 17x lenses. still feel confident in the 38? I might just try it out and if it's not up to par i'll have a week to return it to upgrade to a bigger Libec or Cartoni.

Backlash on Cartoni? Do you remember if it was the Carbon Fiber legs or metal? I wouldn't have thought $1,000 + tripods kits would have any significant backlash.
Old June 25th, 2009, 11:01 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Humphrey View Post
I wouldn't have thought $1,000 + tripods kits would have any significant backlash.
Don't you believe it! Sachtler Video 25 Plus and Studio II that I owned both had it bad, and a colleague had a brand new Cine 30HD that had it too. In my experience if you want 0 backlash you need to go Ronford or O'Connor.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2009, 04:12 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Alex - the Cartoni was the metal leg version. I would think the sweet spot for the Libec 38 would be around 12 - 14 pounds.
Old June 26th, 2009, 02:00 AM   #12
Regular Crew

What about 2-6 pound on the H38? How would it be non-ideal, other than it feeling stiff/overkill?

Has anybody tried one of the smaller Libec heads?
Shaun Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2009, 11:29 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Shaun - might be a bit under ideal weight for the "sweet spot" on panning and holding elevation. That said, adding the tripod plate and other accessories.....
Old June 27th, 2009, 12:01 AM   #14
Major Player

Shaun, if I end up going to Eureka in a couple weeks I should meet you and you can try out my cheapie Mahtews 25 that I run my HD110 + accessories on. It would be better suited for a 6 lbs camera. Nice cheap tripod for $180 ish. It's a COPY/ripoff of the Libec line. though I would expect a smaller Libec would be a little more refined for $100 more.
Old June 27th, 2009, 01:26 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Sounds worth trying, Alex, but if I can swing it soon, it I should probably just get the Libec H38. Wish I could try it before buying, but ...

Would B&H have the easiest/best return policy if I want to do a buy and try and then possibly return it?

I got a used "Davis & Sanford ProVista 7518 Professional Tripod" cheap that I bet is similar to your slightly clunky Libec copy. Good sticks that I might use with the Libec, but the head is not good enough, just decent ... It'll be OK for now, though.

I tried a local TV news reporter's small Libec set up they use for their GL2s and the little head (DV22??) was not good ... My temporary/backup Manfrotto 701HDV is better and more adjustable, though it's actually not good, either.

Last edited by Shaun Walker; June 27th, 2009 at 10:17 AM. Reason: felt like it! ... Q mark added
Shaun Walker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems