2 Articles about Me and my HM700 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old August 4th, 2009, 02:47 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Smith View Post
I stand corrected on two issues, CCD not LCD, and 1/4" sensors for the HM100, not 1/3" sensors like the HM700. As I said, I was doing the specs from memory and to check me on it. I guess you did! :-)

The artifacts between CMOS and CCD remain, however. As for the sensor size, I remember from my days of owning an EX3 that the EX1 had the same sensors. I got that relationship confused with the relationship between the HM100 and the HM700.

Don Smith
NewsVideo.com
I knew what Don meant. At our ages, too much LSD is usually the cause ;-)

I found this part interesting:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Smith View Post
The "AHA" moment comes, though, when a client sees the work flow form the HM700. The camera produces .MOV files ready for editing in Final Cut. No importing or transcoding. Just put the $20 memory card in a $5 USB dongle to plug that card into your computer and simply slide the media to your video hard drive and start editing. The process is called DTE, or "Direct to Edit" and once a client or potential client sees that, they're sold. I can hand off my cards to a producer and not lose sleep if I don't get it back because it's about the value of what I used to pay for Betacam tape.
You're talking about handing off cards direct to to someone else, which is fine if they are on FCP. What happens when handing off to a producer who is going into a PC-based Avid workflow? I should read up on this elsewhere of course to find the answer. Shouldn't be an issue as Avid spits out QT at the other end.

For my part, for an 'A' camera, I have to be able to satisfy my own desires regarding standards. At some point I'll hire a 700 for a week and spend some time with it, it's the only way. The size and weight is appealing - I'm not getting younger! I suppose my ideal A camera would be HDCam with a pair of SDHC slots so I could shoot news, docs, corporate all on one machine. OTOH, I'd like to avoid optical media - so shoot on SDHC and archive later. OTOH, the 700 would do that, but with 1/3 inch chips... OTOH - - there *is* no other hand (with apologies to Tevye)....

Again, interesting article - thanks for posting. Next couple of years will prove interesting!

Cotty
Steve Cottrell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems