Firmware update for GY-HM100 / GY-HM700 - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old August 28th, 2009, 08:44 AM   #46
Tourist

I just received on of these from Amazon: "SanDisk 16gb Extreme® III 30MB/s Edition SDHC" that are on sale for $80. Turns out it is rated Class 10.

Before firmware upgrade for my HM100 it would format but show zero time available when trying to record.

After upgrade which went without a hitch it now shows 58 minutes as it should.

I think this firmware upgrade is only for these new Class 10 cards.
Bob Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2009, 01:28 PM   #47
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ingalls View Post
I just received on of these from Amazon: "SanDisk 16gb Extreme® III 30MB/s Edition SDHC" that are on sale for $80. Turns out it is rated Class 10.

Before firmware upgrade for my HM100 it would format but show zero time available when trying to record.

After upgrade which went without a hitch it now shows 58 minutes as it should.

I think this firmware upgrade is only for these new Class 10 cards.
I have 3 of the Extreme III cards and they worked fine without an upgrade.
Robert Rogoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2009, 02:01 PM   #48
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Rogoz View Post
I have 3 of the Extreme III cards and they worked fine without an upgrade.
The Sandisk Extreme III seems to come in at least two editions.

Older Class 6:
Amazon.com: Sandisk 8GB EXTREME III SDHC SD Card Class 6 - 20MB/s (SDSDX3-008G, Static Pack): Electronics

New Class 10:
Amazon.com: SanDisk 8GB Extreme III - SDHC Class 10 High Performance memory card (SDSDX3-008G-P31, Retail Packaging) - NEW 30MB/s edition: Electronics
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2009, 01:57 AM   #49
Regular Crew

What about the GY-HM100E?

The current version which I have is CAM 1.09, ARM 1.03 and EEPROM 052.

I can successfully get to the page where you enter your personal details and camera serial number. However it demands a 5-digit zip/postal code, and Australia only uses 4-digit codes. This is despite correctly changing the country to Australia/New Zealand.
Anthony Shera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2009, 07:01 AM   #50
Regular Crew

Postal Code

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Shera View Post
The current version which I have is CAM 1.09, ARM 1.03 and EEPROM 052.

I can successfully get to the page where you enter your personal details and camera serial number. However it demands a 5-digit zip/postal code, and Australia only uses 4-digit codes. This is despite correctly changing the country to Australia/New Zealand.
This was my experience as well. In Canada we have a 6 figure postal code. I simply entered 5 figures of the pcode, no spaces, and it accepted the entry. JVC needs to pay attention to the details of web page design as this is a beginners mistake.
Dan Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 03:12 AM   #51
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Thomson View Post
This was my experience as well. In Canada we have a 6 figure postal code. I simply entered 5 figures of the pcode, no spaces, and it accepted the entry. JVC needs to pay attention to the details of web page design as this is a beginners mistake.
Adding to the frustration - as a sole trader I don't have a company name but on the form it is a mandatory field. Quick fix, as you said a beginners' mistake.

Charles.
Charles Wannop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 10:02 AM   #52
Tourist

FCE4 Edit Codec

I purchased Tim's "ProHD Shooter's Guide to GY-HM100" last week but, I'm still awaiting delivery.

I've been editing with FCE4 for a year now using SD footage. (I've been getting away with a Consumer Pana camera shooting video for the web.
But, after months of internet research and talking with cameramen I know, I purchased a tapeless camera.

I took delivery of my new GY-HM100U last week. I've shot some test footage and using the PerianXDCam.component Codec you recommended I can ingest, edit and see the footage I shot w/the GY-HM100. (I used the highest 1920X1080 setting and shot on AE.)

Since I still don't have TIm's Tutorial DVD, I have (2) questions:

1) - What size movie should I select when editing in FCE4? The client is expecting
an HD movie but, I don't think he really cares as long as it looks sharp.

2) - When exporting from FCE4, what should I select? I'm using QuickTime 7.6.2 (Pro version) but when I export – the resulting .mov file looks washed out and very "blocky" – it's not crisp like I see in FCE4.

My shoot is this Saturday and I'm stressed! If I don't solve this problem with FCE4 today or tomorrow, I may try to rent a friend's Pana 100B and shoot tape until I can solve this problem of trying to get a good export from FCE4.

Please help me understand how to get a good, crisp export from FCE4!

TIA,

Karl
Karl Seilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2009, 07:42 AM   #53
Regular Crew

Class 10 cards “insufficient space”

I've just unboxed my new HM-100 but when I insert Panasonic class 10 cards (either 8GB or 16GB), it throws up an “insufficient space” message. Checking the cards on a Mac shows they have just 32kb of JVC info on them and nothing else that needs clearing off.

The camera is obviously detecting the cards and putting a couple of JVC folders onto them, but otherwise doesn't want to format or use them.

Since this is a new camera from B&H, I'm guessing it won't be a firmware issue. Sadly, I don't have any class 6 cards to hand to test.

Ideas anyone?
Paul Shapiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2009, 08:03 AM   #54
Regular Crew

You need the firmwareupgrade
then 10x sdhc-cards work
Eric Deyerler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2009, 09:38 AM   #55
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Deyerler View Post
You need the firmwareupgrade
then 10x sdhc-cards work
You're probably right -- but I thought firmware updates were needed for only those units manufactured before June. I'm surprised a camera shipped from a large supplier just last week might be that old.

I'll source a class 6 card tomorrow and try again.

Don't you hate it when new toys don't work right out of the box!
Old September 13th, 2009, 12:44 PM   #56
Regular Crew

That's normal, the update comes out in the end of august
and I think your cam is built before.
Look on the outside of your box and you
see the built-date of your cam.

The companies ship the cams and don't
look on the system. I didn't make the update,
because I work only with 6x SDHC-cards.
Old September 14th, 2009, 09:44 AM   #57
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Deyerler View Post
That's normal, the update comes out in the end of august
and I think your cam is built before.
Look on the outside of your box and you
see the built-date of your cam.

The companies ship the cams and don't
look on the system. I didn't make the update,
because I work only with 6x SDHC-cards.
Thanks Eric,
Firmware update done and dusted and the class 10 cards are now working just fine.
Old September 14th, 2009, 11:51 AM   #58
Regular Crew

JVC release new HM700 with a functionality to record MP4 on SDHC-cards and with a new noise-filter to reduce the noise in the recordings say the German-testmagazine videoaktiv.de

They say that should be no update, because a new model than the HM700.

http://www.jvcpro.de/jpe/de/video/product.1024.html

New update for GY-HM700 camcorder at IBC
|

JVC has announced an updated version of the GY-HM700 camcorder, bringing further benefits to customers in their choice of workflow. As with the smaller GY-HM100 camcorder, .MP4 files can now be recorded onto the SDHC card along with .MOV files when the SxS adapter is not attached, providing great flexibility for your shooting and offering a unique dual media concept. Additionally, the new version of the GY-HM700 camcorder has a more powerful built-in DNR, producing higher picture quality.D

The GY-HM700, in combination with the optional SxS adaptor KA-MR100, provides the unique properties of dual-media recording capability and a choice of industry-leading file formats on both inexpensive and high-performance media. With the KA-MR100 media recorder docked, it is possible to record Sony XDCAM EX compatible .MP4 files onto high-speed SxS memory cards, while at the same time recording the same .MP4 files to inexpensive SDHC cards. Having two copies instantly available provides more versatility in the field, with the assurance of always having a back-up.

The .MP4 file format recorded on SDHC can be natively edited by non-linear systems that support XDCAM EX, and is not only suitable for Windows NLE systems but also Final Cut Pro. Also, .MP4 files recorded onto SxS media are compatible with the Sony XDCAM EX format. Recording in the editing system's native format eliminates the time consuming transfer step and dramatically speeds up the post-production workflow, a major advancement for JVC and the industry.

JVC is pleased that there are now even more options for this versatile camcorder. With the choice of not only the recording format, but also the recording media, the GY-HM700 offers optimum flexibility, together with simple integration into your existing workflow.

About JVC Professional Europe Ltd.
JVC Professional Europe Ltd. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Victor Company of Japan, one of the world's leading manufacturers and suppliers of a wide range of sophisticated high quality broadcast, professional, recording, playback and presentation equipment, along with computer imaging, internet communications, data storage solutions and CCTV. JVC Professional Europe Ltd. is committed to providing video and data-related solutions and service to customers in Europe, the Middle East and Africa. For more information, please visit www.jvcpro.eu.

Last edited by Eric Deyerler; September 14th, 2009 at 11:54 AM. Reason: New HM700 update
Old September 14th, 2009, 03:38 PM   #59
Major Player

I wonder if the price will go up. Will they call it the HM 710??
Old September 14th, 2009, 04:22 PM   #60
Regular Crew

My HM700U is only two months old and they come out with this...

I mainly use MOV, however my hope is that they at least make this an upgrade type improvement, if you really need the mpg-4 ability really bad, then offer the user a method to return the unit for the service upgrade. Owner sends it to JVC and for a nominal charge your unit will be retrofitted.

Or better yet, a no charge upgrade, ship and ye shall receive the upgrade.

One can only hope. Fingers crossed...

Steve
Bethlehem, Pa
Steve J. Nordahl is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems