Manual Zooming on the GY-HM700 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old August 7th, 2009, 12:01 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Manual Zooming on the GY-HM700

Hi folks

I am glad to be here and from today I can post :-)
I just bought 1 week ago an JVC GY-HM700 and I found than I have a problem with the manual zooming.
When I use manual with my canon XL2, its smoothly and pretty easy but with the JVC I got jerk, it's really not smooth at all, I tried many time different speed but slow it's worth !!!!
Do you know the problem ??

Do you think than I should send back the canon 14X or the Camera or both??

here an example

RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting

Thanks

Mike
Mike Laisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2009, 12:39 PM   #2
Wrangler

I'm not exactly sure how to respond to this but I'll take a crack at it.

#1. The Canon XL2 doesn't actually ship with a real manual lens (although Canon does have a couple available.) The XL2 lens zoom ring provides input to servos that then zoom the lens for you with built-in servo-controlled "ease-in and ease-out." It is a quasi manual input for an automatic lens.

#2. In the case of professional lenses "manual zoom" truly is manual. It is as smooth/fast/slow as your hand makes it. If you want to have smoother control then turn on the servo and use the zoom rocker.
Old August 7th, 2009, 12:49 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks to reply Tim
I understand that but how can it be so hard do to smoothly zoom ?
I ask some buddies to try it and they can't do slowly and smoothly, because when you turn the zoom ring it's a little more harder to turn when you arrived bettween 15 and 32 .

So you don't have any problem with yours.

My hand is not shacking ;-)
Old August 9th, 2009, 10:42 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Sorry if this seems a bit obvious, but have you made sure the zoom switch on the bottom of the lens is set to manual? If it's still on auto you're trying to manually zoom against the resistance of the zoom motor, which would make life rather difficult. (coming from full auto with servo ring camera to a fully manual camera has made for a few interesting 'oops' for me so far, this being one)

Have Fun,
Jim
James McBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2009, 11:05 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Laisney View Post
Hi folks

I am glad to be here and from today I can post :-)
I just bought 1 week ago an JVC GY-HM700 and I found than I have a problem with the manual zooming.
When I use manual with my canon XL2, its smoothly and pretty easy but with the JVC I got jerk, it's really not smooth at all, I tried many time different speed but slow it's worth !!!!
Do you know the problem ??

Do you think than I should send back the canon 14X or the Camera or both??

here an example

Thanks

Mike
Hi ,
I read your post and tried my camera out. It is the same as your footage but to be honest, in over three years I have never used the manual zoom except on fast zooms. Why would you want to?
Old August 10th, 2009, 03:38 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Yes you're right, I am not going to used a lot the manual zoom anyway.
thanks for your reply guys :-)

Last saturday I used the 700 for a wedding, it was great, some green light in some shot (White balance) and the sound is not so good as the XL2.

anybody have some setting for the sound ?
Old August 10th, 2009, 05:02 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Take an external microphone
Eric Deyerler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2009, 07:15 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I just shot a wedding with my HM700 (you'll see a post titled "Low-Light Wedding" elsewhere here). Just go to my newsvideo.com site and you'll see it listed down the left column. I'm very happy with the results. Yes, I had external mics which I turned on at times (one for each channel) and at other times I was shooting off the camera-mounted mic. No "green" even though I shot under the worst of conditions; a mix of daylight and tungsten and darkness.
Donald Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2009, 10:03 AM   #9
Inner Circle

I was a bit shocked by the vertical smear from the highlights - it doesn't handle those very well. I kind of expected this to be better than that. I guess you just have to accept that those types of shots just cannot be done. Other than that, the images even with the internet mangling are fine - sound seems ok too.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2009, 10:40 AM   #10
New Boot

Crash or Manual Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Robinson View Post
Hi ,
I read your post and tried my camera out. It is the same as your footage but to be honest, in over three years I have never used the manual zoom except on fast zooms. Why would you want to?
er, I use it to get tighter shots of actuality events, thus enabling, hopefuly, the editors to put sequences together easier. Clearly one does not use the zoom it's self!
I am primarily a documentary/news style camera operator.
Jon Enkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2009, 10:46 AM   #11
Regular Crew

here
a small sample of green light

Mike Laisney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems