DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-800-700-600-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Last second help for shoot tomorrow... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-800-700-600-series-camera-systems/334205-last-second-help-shoot-tomorrow.html)

Harry Pallenberg August 28th, 2009 09:31 PM

Last second help for shoot tomorrow...

Taking the 100 & 700 out for a test shoot / spec thing... only got the gear yesterday and have not had time to really play. Bad timing, as I will have time on Sunday - after the shoot...lol.

1) So as I sit here testing things, seems like the audio on the 700 set to auto (I will be 1 man banding it) seems VERY hot. Anyone else notice this? The on camera mic seems ok (close but ok, but the wireless lav is way hot. I'll do lav and boom for most of it and will be fine during the sit down segment, but the walk around I was figuring on going auto.

2) I read the scene file thread - not a lot of useful info... so anyone have any comments on things like detail setting, knee and so on? Does the camera tend toward the cool / green side? Also does it tend to blow out the whites?

3) I thought I read somewhere about issues with the continuos clip feature? Guess I'll just do normal for tomorrow and test that out later - unless I hear otherwise.

4) JVC rep only left 1 battery - I'll be plugged in for most - but wondering if any old (I forget the model #) Anton Bauer will work - I can pick a few up at the office on the way.
The onse I have are at least 5 years old from the DigiBeta 709.

5) The ACCU-FOCUS - that just opens up the DOF for a few seconds for easier focus? Right? Just leave it on normal?

Gotta say after about an hour of playing then copy over to FCP on a 1080P Dell 24in and into the 47inch flatscreen sitting about 2 feet away it looks pretty nice. Amazing when I think of the $42K for the DBeta only a few years ago.

Only played a minute or 2 on the 100 - looks good too. Any tips - probably go full auto for the producer / non camera savvy person.

Thanks,

Harry

Jack Walker August 28th, 2009 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Pallenberg (Post 1283080)
Only played a minute or 2 on the 100 - looks good too. Any tips - probably go full auto for the producer / non camera savvy person.

Since you just got the camera, a couple of things that are simple but may not be instantly apparent.

Notice the buttons at the back of the camera.
When using auto, the one for exposure compensation can be helpful. Just push the button to turn it on, then use the wheel below to to up or down in value.

Regarding focusing on the HM100. If you are going to try manual focus, turn on the focus assist. It works pretty well.

Also, if you want to set focus automatically, then keep it there, just use the focus button toward the front of the camera: it is a toggle between auto focus and manual focus. Push it once to turn on auto. When focus is set, push it again to turn off auto, and the camera will stay focused at the distance it's set.

(Note to designers: these controls can work quite well, but a nice design change would be to put them under the thumb in a convenient small panel at the top of the camera, so they can be used quickly and intuitively while on the run.)