Playing .mov on a PC at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old September 6th, 2009, 12:00 AM   #1
Major Player

Playing .mov on a PC

Hello everyone. I was just wondering if there was a way to view the .mov files on a P.C. A guy I am working with has a PC and wants to pull clips from my SDHC card. He has Quicktime Pro but they still won't play. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Old September 6th, 2009, 12:28 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin Bellows View Post
Hello everyone. I was just wondering if there was a way to view the .mov files on a P.C. A guy I am working with has a PC and wants to pull clips from my SDHC card. He has Quicktime Pro but they still won't play. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Install quicktime. Done.
Old September 6th, 2009, 12:39 AM   #3
Wrangler

Unfortunately it isn't as simple as installing Quicktime. The XDCAM EX component is not included in Quicktime or Quicktime Pro, it officially only installs with Final Cut Studio 2 or 3.

On a mac it isn't a big deal because there is an open-source Perian version of the XDCAM component.
On Windows there is one easy solution called XD-Decode from Calibrated Software. I think it costs $80. This tutorial should shed some light on how it works.

There is also a German shareware Windows program that will demux the mpeg2 stream from the mov file but I'm still figuring out exactly how it works.
Old September 6th, 2009, 01:08 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Oh whoops. Didn't realize it was the xdcam stuff.
Old September 6th, 2009, 08:31 AM   #5
Wrangler

The HM-Series cameras from JVC use XDCAM EX, but they can wrap it in .MOV in the camera so you can begin working immediately on a Mac. The HM100 and HM700XT can also wrap in the MP4 container, just the way the EX1 and EX3 do.
Old September 6th, 2009, 09:09 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Yea, I understand the issue, just didn't realize thaat was the kind of .mov he was dealing with. Sad you have to buy a tool for it. What are the files encoded in? Too bad its not just prores.
Old September 6th, 2009, 12:14 PM   #7
Regular Crew

some help..

Hi Calvin,
Pl go to the site Programme - www.mik-digital.de
click on the link which says 'MP4toMPGv3.exe'

Download the program and run it.. Convert your Mov/Mp4 files shot off your HM100 in order to view them on your PC. Most convenient way to view XDCAM files on your computer, thanks to this little program by Michael Schleider.

Cheers.
Amir Jaffar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2009, 07:50 PM   #8
JVC

There's a free utility at WinFF - Free Video Converter that will play and convert the .MOV recorded in most modes.
David Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2009, 09:49 PM   #9
Major Player

Thanks

Thanks to everyone for their advice. Thats weird that you can't get a plug in for QT on a PC.
Old September 7th, 2009, 12:38 AM   #10
Regular Crew

just be careful with WinFF. it messes up with your other audio and video files by wrapping them with it's own label format.
Amir Jaffar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems