DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-800-700-600-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Problems with JVC HM700 firmware upgrade ? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-800-700-600-series-camera-systems/467165-problems-jvc-hm700-firmware-upgrade.html)

Marcello Mazzilli November 5th, 2009 07:30 AM

Problems with JVC HM700 firmware upgrade ?

I have done a job with 2 JVC HM700 and had to record in MP4. One was mine one I rented. Mine is an old CPU model so I cannot upgrade the firmware. To record in MP4 mode I attached an SxS recorder that "activated" the MP4 mode on the SDHC Cards. The other one was a newer model. With this one the upgrade worked and so we were using the camera with no SxS attached, again in MP4 mode. This last camera had many problems and after the first day were we lost footage we had to switch back to MOV mode, which worked fine for the remaining days. One time the message "RECOVER" appeared. The recovery didn't work and everything disaeppeared. But later in the hotel with some recovery software we got it back. Other 2 times the SDHC cards were almost destroyed. Not only the file disappeared but the card became invisible to the system (Win or Mac) thus not even reformattable.. almost like a phisical damage.

Please not that cards were Transcend and Peak for both cameras and also that once switched to MOV we had no problems.

Anybody had similar experience?

Eric Deyerler November 5th, 2009 08:14 AM

Verbatim class6 are unformatable
with the HM700, I use three different cards,
but I can record on them, one thing
is that they must be recovered four times in
one hour.

The Transcend sdhc from Taiwan
died after three months and they're really
killed, you can't see them on your system.

Better are Xtrememory but the plastic
breaks on the top of the card.
The most SDHC-cards don't work good enough,
really better should be to work and record
on Panasonic Class10-cards.
After my bad results with nonamecards, Transcend,
Verbatim, Adata

Colin Rowe November 5th, 2009 08:51 AM

I dont understand the problems you had with Transcend cards, they are very popular, and used worldwide, and very succesfully in both JVC HM, and Sony EX cameras. Were your cards genuine ? there are a lot of fakes out there. As for the class 10 cards, I dont believe they are essential to the HM cams, they have been designed and tested for use with class 6. If anyone wants to spend more money on class 10 cards, thats fine, but they are not going to work any better. I have been using transcend 16 gb class 6 cards in EX1s for over a year, and in HM100s for 5 months, never had a problem in any of the cams.

Eric Deyerler November 5th, 2009 09:01 AM

My older Transcend sdhc made in China
are better then the new Transcend-sdhc
from Taiwan, look on amazon.de the useropions
with bad results with the Transcend cards,
the solution is to seek for the chinese Transcend
sdhc, I shot the last 2 month over 150 hours-material
on the HM700

Julius Kuziemski November 8th, 2009 04:09 AM

Just green screen frames once in a while

Bout the only issue I have is every so often a frame will be green.
(If you go thru frame by frame in a NLE , sometimes it will be one frame,usually two back to back, were one frame is total green, while the next/preceding is a mix of green,black pixelly, and partial picture.) My fix is just to delete both frames.

I have no idea what causes it,but so far it hasn't been a major headache,,more a annoyance that I just have to keep a eye out for.

As far as cards.. I use SanDisc 8gig..Last I checked I think they are roughly bout $50 a piece.
(I'm no name brand boy, but I would rather not scrimp on this part.)

I'm running one of the first released cams,,so am hoping they come up with a update that dosn't have me sending it back to the factory....we'll see...... :-/

Julius Kuziemski March 1st, 2011 01:58 AM

Re: Problems with JVC HM700 firmware upgrade ?

Havn't seen the green "blips" at all since my firmware upgrade last year... & I am still using a couple class 6 cards besides my newer 10 class.

George Kilroy March 1st, 2011 08:20 AM

Re: Problems with JVC HM700 firmware upgrade ?

Firstly, your older HM700 can have the firmware upgrade but it will have to go to JVC for it to be carried out. I had mine done by JVC in London, I took it there and waited an hour, it was done with no charge.

Second I have been using 32GB Verbatim class 6 cards for over a year with no trouble.
I also use 16GB Transcend class 6 with no problem.

Third. I did get the green flashes on the first few uses of the camera. They were visible in Premiere but not in the original clip played back in camera. I found a work around here (in fact this is the problem that brought me to DVinfo). I transcoded the MP4 recorded file to MP2 with a piece of software called MIK-digital. If you are interested here is the original thread.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-h...oth-cs4-2.html

Just follow the links there. My comments are in post #17. There is no loss of quality, I have put them side by side on the timeline.