Can you "heal" a bad file? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old January 14th, 2010, 10:40 AM   #1
New Boot

Can you "heal" a bad file?

I spent all day shooting yesterday with our 700. We were hammering all day and with 16 gig of footage at 720P there was no time to check every shot to be sure it was a good file. So today I find I have TWO corrupt/unplayable video files on my disc. I know what is supposed to be in those files and I can do without one but the other I would really like to recover if I can. My question is two fold. 1. Is there a way to somehow recover this file or repair it? It's nearly 600mb 2. How can I prevent this from happening in the future?
Do I have to treat this camera as a film cam and "check the gate" after every shot top make sure the ones and zeros stuck?

thanks
Kevin
Kevin Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2010, 02:28 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Came across this, may help..says it repairs mp4 (hopefully the same as yours)

Download NewLive All Media Fixer Pro

update found main site
RM Converter,rm to MP3, Repair avi file, repair mpeg, repair wmv, repair dvd, repair jpg, Mpeg fixer, Avi fixer, Rm fixer, MP3 fixer, Wmv fixer, Jpg Fixer
Zulqar Cheema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2010, 04:40 PM   #3
Major Player

your best bet is to insert the card into the camera and try to restore the media.
Robert Rogoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 03:34 PM   #4
New Boot

Here's a little more info. Restore Media was not selectable in the menu so I went into cam/media mode and deleted the two clips in question, ejected the card, and put those same files back on the card from the computer back-up files in order to force a Restore Media situation It worked, the camera wanted me to restore media as soon as I inserted the disc. After restoring media I went into the cam/media mode and tried to play the clips. Nothing. No thumbnail. Clips will not play. There is info with the clip, duration, resolution, etc. so there is information there in the file but it must be so buggered that it will not play.

Thanks for the restore media idea. Any others?

Kevin
Old January 16th, 2010, 10:24 AM   #5
Major Player

But could you see the clips on the computer? Maybe you have changed setting for these 2 clips and the browser in the camera will show only the clips in the current camera settings. It means if you have, let's say 1080/24p setting it will not show 720/60p or even 1080/30p. However your clips are on the card.
Sounds like you simply have a bad card and I would not use it anymore.
On the side note I am done buying Transcend cards- I already had 2 of them fail and I lost some critical footage. I will try Hoodman, since they are the same price as Sandisc.
Old January 16th, 2010, 04:28 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Kevin I've use both of these the fix the ocassional flaky file from the 200HD/HD100
--Video ReDO
--MPEG Streamclip
Old January 16th, 2010, 05:02 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I lost my video-data on transcend sdhc-cards (the "made in taiwan"-Transcend-SDHC
are really bad then the Chinese from Transcend), also the Verbatim from Taiwan are not quite good.
Good experiences with Panasonic SDHC (Goldseries).

When I lost the data - I don't see any files on the cards, so I think the problem ist that the menu is switched to another recording-setting, so you can the length and all but don't play the clips.
Eric Deyerler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 10:04 PM   #8
Major Player

My point is that if the card fails you lose every clip on that card, not just 2 of them.
Old January 17th, 2010, 05:13 AM   #9
Regular Crew

hi Robert, I agree with you, when a card fail you lost
all and not only to clips.
Eric Deyerler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 09:37 AM   #10
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Rogoz View Post
But could you see the clips on the computer? Sandisc.
No. I have never been able to see these clips either in the camera or computer. All I did was back up the disc before trying anything like trying to restore.

I'm not sure what happened to those clips. But now the client is getting flakier than the disc so we may end up reshooting anyway!

We've had good luck with the transcend cards up until this point. I'll reserve judgement and see if anything else happens with these cards.

Thanks for the tip John, I'll search for those programs.

thanks all,
cheers
K
Old January 18th, 2010, 10:32 AM   #11
Major Player

hi

I purchased some software that works on a mac and recovered at least 96 % of all my video on a 16 gig card . It saved my ass with a client that I was filming in Orlando

Doug
Doug Tessler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 12:06 PM   #12
Major Player

Doug, could you tell us what software was so successful in restoring the files? Thanks
Robert Rogoz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems