DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-800-700-600-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Remote Zoom Controller for HM700? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-800-700-600-series-camera-systems/471654-remote-zoom-controller-hm700.html)

Hamish Reid January 25th, 2010 12:00 PM

Remote Zoom Controller for HM700?

Forgive me for what's probably a dumb question, but I'm still dithering over camera choices, and the question I've not been able to answer definitively for the HM700 is whether it has or can be fitted with a remote zoom controller (LANC or otherwise). What's the deal with this from actual users?

Steve J. Nordahl January 25th, 2010 02:37 PM

I've been using a Manfrotto remote control zoom.

I currently use a Manfrotto 351MVCF Carbon Fiber Lightweight Pro tripod with a Manfrotto 516 Pro Head. I purchased a Manfrotto 524CFI Canon Remote Zoom Control which works like a charm with my JVC GY-HM700U and Canon 14x lens. Really nice, the remote control unit replaces one of the two pan handles the 516 comes with. Just plug in the connector to the lens and I have speed control and thumb control over my zoom, and I can also start and stop recording from the handle. I don't know if this handle will work with other tripod systems, but for me it worked out.

Steve

Zulqar Cheema January 25th, 2010 04:34 PM

I use the libec and that works fine on the Fuji lens an also be used on the canon, via a switch on the device.

Creative Video Libec ZC-3DV (ZC3DV) zoom controller for Sony / Canon LANC camcorders PLUS Panasonic

Hamish Reid January 26th, 2010 11:05 AM

Thanks Steve and Zulqar for your responses -- very useful! Just one more annoying question: what's the slowest practical zoom speed you can get from your lens and controller combination for (say) a creeping 10x zoom? I'm pondering long slow zooms -- a minute or two for a 10x -- can this be done without a lot of trouble? I'm deeply attracted to the HM700's shoulder-mount form factor, but there are several times it would probably sit on a tripod doing very slow zooms...

Shaun Roemich January 26th, 2010 12:59 PM

Hamish: that sort of creeping zoom is BEST done with a two stage zoom controller like the Fujinon demand units that have both a linear thumb controller and a Rate potentiometer as well that scales zoom speed across the spectrum. I own one and SWEAR by it. Pricy though....

Hamish Reid January 26th, 2010 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich (Post 1477518)
Hamish: that sort of creeping zoom is BEST done with a two stage zoom controller like the Fujinon demand units that have both a linear thumb controller and a Rate potentiometer as well that scales zoom speed across the spectrum. I own one and SWEAR by it. Pricy though....

Right -- they're definitely not exactly cheap, though! :-)

Steve J. Nordahl January 26th, 2010 02:01 PM

Hamish,

On my Manfrotto 524CFI Canon Remote Zoom Control, it also has the thumb controller and a rate potentiometer.

When set to it's lowest speed it took my Canon 14x zoom lens 22 seconds from full wide to full zoom and visa-versa. At the high speed setting, it took only 3.5 - 4.0 seconds full wide to full zoom. The thumb controller makes it real easy to handle and pan at the same time, and I can make quick changes if need be in speed and still control my pan.

Good luck on your selection.

Steve

Hamish Reid January 26th, 2010 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve J. Nordahl (Post 1477541)
Hamish,

On my Manfrotto 524CFI Canon Remote Zoom Control, it also has the thumb controller and a rate potentiometer.

When set to it's lowest speed it took my Canon 14x zoom lens 22 seconds from full wide to full zoom and visa-versa. At the high speed setting, it took only 3.5 - 4.0 seconds full wide to full zoom. The thumb controller makes it real easy to handle and pan at the same time, and I can make quick changes if need be in speed and still control my pan.

Good luck on your selection.

Steve

Steve -- thanks. For the price, the Manfrotto seems like a good tool -- or at least something to get me started until I really need multi-minute creeping zooms. I have the little Manfrotto 521 LANC variable-rate zoom controller on my current prosumer setup; the only problem with the 521 being that the lens servo itself won't zoom slowly enough...

Zulqar Cheema January 26th, 2010 04:14 PM

The libecs creeps real slow and zooms faster then the rocker on the camera.

Hamish Reid January 27th, 2010 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zulqar Cheema (Post 1477618)
The libecs creeps real slow and zooms faster then the rocker on the camera.

Thanks. The Libec controllers get generally good mentions here in the forum, I've discovered, especially for the EX3 that I was (and still am) contemplating as the alternative to the 700...