Mic starts out loud and fades out at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old February 4th, 2010, 09:00 PM   #1
New Boot

Mic starts out loud and fades out

Ok, so I'm very confused here. I'm using both of the XLR inputs. One is connected to a shotgun mic and the other is connected to a headset mic. The idea was to be able to interview people and hear the audio at the same time through the headset, so I bought one of these: Plantronics - GameCom 777 Stereo Headset with Dolby Technology - Black - 79733-01

I have connected the headset mic (analog) output to the HM100u via a XLR to 3/8 plug (the headphone side of the headset is connected to the headphone out on the camera). The odd thing is, is that it starts out at normal volume as soon as I connect it, but the volume fades from normal to almost zero in about 15 seconds. This is 100% repeatable. I also have a Rode VideoMic (also with 3/8 plug) that is powered. When I plug it into the same plug to the camera, the volume stays consistent and correct.

So, why is the volume fading to zero with the non-powered mic, and how can I prevent it?

Thanks in advance.
Old February 4th, 2010, 10:25 PM   #2
New Boot

So I've been "googling" around since I posted this and I think I have determined the problem. The XLR inputs require "plug-in power". If I plug in the mic output from the headset into my Sennheiser lavalier mic everything works fine. So, obviously, the mic input on the HM100u expects the mics to be powered, even when used with the +48v setting.

I think I have two options:
1) Find a headset with a powered mic
2) Find an adapter that provides the power

Any suggestions?
Old February 5th, 2010, 08:27 PM   #3
New Boot

Surely somebody has a suggestion? Anybody?
Old February 5th, 2010, 11:42 PM   #4
Major Player

you might have to buy something like Juicelink or Beachtek adapter.
Robert Rogoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2010, 07:39 AM   #5
New Boot

Yeah, but that seems like an extreme action to take for such a simple need.

Basically, all I need is a headset with microphone that I can plug into one of the XLR ports on the camera. It sucks that I can use the crappy gaming headset when I use the 1/8" mic port on the camera, but not through XLR. I understand the difference between XLR and normal mic plugs, but I just wish there was an easy (compact) way to convert to powered (or phantom) XLR from passive mic's.
Old February 6th, 2010, 11:03 AM   #6
Trustee

Brit,

Not sure if I grasp the set-up here (and I'm not a JVC person). Is the purpose of the headset mic to record your voice as the interviewer and the shotgun for the interviewee?

Leaving aside whether an on-camera shotgun mic is good for interview or not, if I was trying to do that I would try a lav mic via a simple Rode-style mini jack to XLR converter to record my own voice. Then use a set of headphones to monitor (or just use the gaming set but without the mic plugged in).

Even a $35-ish ATR35 lav mic would do, and it is self-powered. I'm not sure the audio quality through the gaming headset mic would be brilliant anyway. All in, that might cost you $40 or $50 tops.

I have a feeling that trying to get the gaming headset to work might be a waste of time, but there may be more knowledgeable people than me who could comment.
Old February 7th, 2010, 12:11 PM   #7
Major Player

Just unplug the sound handle and plug the receiver into 3.5 mini. You won't get uncompressed, but with this type of recording you can't expect high quality anyway.
Robert Rogoz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems