HM100/700 .MOV Playback on a PC at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old March 2nd, 2010, 03:16 PM   #1
Sponsor: TapeWorks Texas

HM100/700 .MOV Playback on a PC

Neet bit of info JVC sent me today
The following Information can be found on JVC's website
JVC Pro FAQ

What do I need to do to play back the GY-HM100/700 .MOV files on a PC? I have audio, but no video.

The GY-HM100/700 cameras record in two basic formats: '.MOV' files compatible with Apple's Final Cut Pro 6.0.4+, and the '.MP4' format compatible with Sony's XDCAM EX. Although both formats utilize the same codec, they differ in file structure and do not have the same NLE compatibility.

'.MOV' files can be played back on any Mac computer that has the latest Final Cut Pro (FCP) installed. Quicktime will only be able to play back the files if FCP is present. To playback on a Windows computer, you will need a 3rd party utility such as Calibrated Software's 'XD DECODE'. Another utility to consider is WinFF, an open source player/converter based on FFMPEG. WinFF will also allow you to convert your files to another format, if desired. For a Mac without FCP you may wish to try the unsupported PerianXDCam component for Quicktime.

The popular open source media player VLC can be used to playback the '.MP4' files created by the GY-HM100/700.

Just thought I would share the info!

Scott Cantrell
Tapeworks Texas Inc - DVinfo Sponser
tapeworksscott@sbcglobal.net
Scott Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 07:44 PM   #2
Trustee

Never mind, repeats your CalibratedQ HD codec info. That will teach me to read the whole post before replying, my bad..../Battle Vaughan
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 03:25 AM   #3
Regular Crew

They don't make your life easy, these people. I only have Final Cut Express and I can't bring the .mov clip into the timeline.

But before that, when I play in QT, I only get audio. No video.

:-(
Old March 12th, 2010, 09:38 AM   #4
Wrangler

JVC neglected to mention in their bulletin that there is also an open-source XDCAM EX codec for the Mac if you don't have FCP6 or later installed. If you DO NOT have Final Cut Pro 6 then you can download the free Open Source XDCAM Quicktime component and drag it into your Macintosh HD/Library/Quicktime folder. This will allow you to work with the quicktimes in Premiere Pro, Media 100 and Final Cut Express & iMovie 09.

This will solve your problem Shufiyan.

There is also a tutorial here: HM100/700 and iMovie
Old March 13th, 2010, 08:22 PM   #5
New Boot

Back to the PC again

There are also a couple of FREE programmes for the PC to convert the mov files for editing if your NLE can't handle MP4 or Mov very well. (eg Avid Liquid or Virtual Dub)

They are
1 Pazera video convertor - this has a number of templates built in.
2 A german MP4 or mov to mp2 programme (it has a Flag where you can select English)
It is called "MP4 to MPG" (by Michael Schleider)

Both programmes do not muck around with the files, they just rewrap them. The German one is particularly fast.

Good solutions if you need them with this camera.

Wayne
Wayne Garton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2010, 01:38 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thank you very much Tim and Wayne ! I'll give it a go ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood View Post
JVC neglected to mention in their bulletin that there is also an open-source XDCAM EX codec for the Mac if you don't have FCP6 or later installed. If you DO NOT have Final Cut Pro 6 then you can download the free Open Source XDCAM Quicktime component and drag it into your Macintosh HD/Library/Quicktime folder. This will allow you to work with the quicktimes in Premiere Pro, Media 100 and Final Cut Express & iMovie 09.

This will solve your problem Shufiyan.

There is also a tutorial here: HM100/700 and iMovie
Old July 20th, 2010, 12:06 PM   #7
New Boot

Good info! Thank you! (Also DL the latest VLC!

Thanks for those tidbits of tasty info! (I have a few files need converting from when I first acquired the cam)..just been putting it off...
...I really need to do something with that silly SXS converter box too,,,,bleah,,,trade anyone? lol.........

Also, be sure to download the latest VLC player update.. I think its 1.1 now...it worked great before to play back the Mp4 files, but (At least for me) always crashed if I tried to fastforward or skip around....but NOW,, WooHOOO, I can fast forward, skip back, go wherever I want in the track and it stays functional! so cool!

Thank you again for the links
Julius Kuziemski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems