The GY HM700- is it any good? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old March 27th, 2010, 05:06 PM   #1
Regular Crew

The GY HM700- is it any good?

Now I know, everyone's banging on about the DSLRs, but I don't always need the wafer thin depth of field so I've been looking at some of the other affordable solutions- including JVC's big boy offering- the GY HM700.

Thing is, is it any good?

Most of my work is low-end corporate, some music video stuff and I do a bit of fiction when I get the chance. What's interested me about this camera is the form factor- nothing like a camera on the shoulder- the calibrated pro lenses and the instant ingest with .mov files.

I've followed this camera with interest since it came out, read reviews, looked at footage, scoured the boards... it's been out a year, the dust has settled. Those who've used it- what do you think? And if you think it's less than it's price tag, what would you suggest for the same outlay?

Answers on a postcard!
Old March 27th, 2010, 05:17 PM   #2
Inner Circle

You're probably missing the most important bit too - CCDs rather than CMOS. Because of this at this pricepoint it's less well specified than the likes of the EX3 and the HPX301 (ie it's 720 rather than 1080 chips).
It also interfaces with "standard" big boy accessories - notably V lock batteries and quick release tripod plate.
Is the image quality good enough compared to the 2 million pixel chips cameras? I don't know as I've never used one, but the Varicam seems to manage OK.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2010, 06:21 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I've used both CCD and CMOS kit in the past and have seen downsides to both, but the rolling shutter skew on pans is the bit that worries me about CMOS. I usually get the chance to light my material to some extent, so the low light thing's not crucial to me- I rarely need to kick in the gain at any rate. Also, although I would shoot in HD, most of my corporate work is SD delivery at the moment, so the 720 block isn't an immediate concern- although in time that will probably change.

I've not had any dealings with Panasonic kit, but the HPX 300/301 is a significant price jump for me and I probably don't need the AVC Intra standard- so my price range is pretty much the JVC and the EX3 (despite it's ungainly semi-shoulder thing it's got going on!).
Old March 27th, 2010, 09:23 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Wait until after NAB to make your decision. Lots of announcements coming from various manufacturers in April.
Old March 28th, 2010, 03:16 AM   #5
Inner Circle

The HPX301 won't be that much more than the others, though once you figure in a few P2 or SxS cards it does make a difference. Worst thing about the 301 by all accounts is that the skew is even worse than the EX3.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2010, 08:26 AM   #6
Regular Crew

In short, the GY-HM700 is a very good camera. I own two of them and we are VERY happy with their performance, and more importantly, so are our clients. We do a lot of corporate work (events and training) as well as product demos for an all HD TV shopping network AND infomercials and spots in SD. This camera works great in all of these arenas, plus it uses pro accessories; dionic batteries (which last forever), Fujinon or Canon lens and an awesome form factor. Also, compared to some of the other options out there, the media is dirt cheap, so if you're busy and/or shooting long scenes (events, sports, etc.) using SDHC cards will enable you to have plenty of media on hand without breaking the bank or having to ingest on site.

Having a 720 chip set has not bothered us in the least. We shoot in 1080 most of the time and I haven't noticed and issues, and again, neither have our clients. So, unless you're going to do a shoot out with JVC vs. a Sony or Panasonic, it's doubtful anyone will see the difference in the edit suite.
Lou Caputo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems