DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-800-700-600-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Quick Question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-800-700-600-series-camera-systems/476561-quick-question.html)

Michael Rees April 10th, 2010 09:19 AM

Quick Question

Hi, I am kinda a newbie with JVC's ProLine cameras. Do I need to buy the $250 tripod plate to mount it to a tripod? Or does it have built in screws.

Calvin Bellows April 10th, 2010 04:11 PM

You are going to have to buy the tripod plate.

Michael Rees April 10th, 2010 04:58 PM

But I saw a video with the camera mounted to a tripod in the center of the camera.

Shaun Roemich April 10th, 2010 05:11 PM

There IS a place to mount a tripod plate at the front of the JVC cameras BUT MOST of the weight would then hang behind the tripod mount and would then cause instability on the tripod AND an unnaturally forward panning centre. I HIGHLY recommend the use of a tripod plate.

Lou Caputo April 10th, 2010 07:08 PM

Get the plate dude...you'll thank us later.

Michael Rees April 10th, 2010 10:18 PM

Also, being new to JVC, I don't really understand what comes with this camera. I mean they make you buy 500 dollar batteries. Can somebody give me a list of what comes with this stock camera with 14x lens. Cables, ect. please. Thanks

Calvin Bellows April 10th, 2010 11:17 PM

The camera comes with the camera, lens, viewfinder and mic. It can also be bought without the lens and with an optional SxS recorder. The reason for the $500 batteries is because it is a pro camera. It needs a battery that can supply it all the juice it needs and that can stand up to the rigours that you'll put it through. You'll notice that once your make the step to more professional gear that everything is going to go up in price.

Shaun Roemich April 11th, 2010 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Rees (Post 1512710)
I mean they make you buy 500 dollar batteries.

Don't forget the charger...

Don Bloom April 11th, 2010 05:54 AM

Michael, it appears that you have not owned a camera of this caliber before and while I have felt your pain of having to purchase things like expensive batterys and a charger, tripod plate etc etc, I think you will find that the tripod plate will work not only with JVC but most Sony cameras so later on should you change camera the mounting plate will still work, and the same with the batterys. Hell I used Dionic90 batterys and the Sony tripod plate on various Sony cameras and a JVC camera. I bought the batterys once and bought the tripod plate once so over the years I saved money.
Going to a "full size" camera is a different beast. Hell even a bag costs more but again generally you buy it once and are able to use it until it falls apart and overall you do save money.

John Mitchell April 11th, 2010 05:58 AM

You can buy the Sony plate which is anout $70 cheaper. You'll need a decent tripod as well - although the JVC is lighter than many ENG cameras it is heavier than a handycam like the Z1 or EX1/3.

Michael Rees April 11th, 2010 10:26 AM

Yes the sony plate is cheaper. Will the VCT-U14 work.

Don Bloom April 11th, 2010 12:09 PM

That's what I used for Sony and JVC cameras-and I know a couple of guys that use on HD110s and 250s.

Eric Deyerler April 11th, 2010 03:36 PM

I use my camera-plate from my old JVC GY-DV5000, it works fine,
but the JVC-salesman said, it don't work - and so I showed him,
that it work.

John Mitchell April 11th, 2010 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Rees (Post 1512842)
Yes the sony plate is cheaper. Will the VCT-U14 work.

Yes it is a standard V lock mount.

James McBoyle April 12th, 2010 06:44 AM

I tried using the normal tripod mount for a couple of weeks while I waited for the plate to arrive. You really, *really* want to get the plate, it makes everything so much nicer. I was a bit sticker-shocked at first, but I now consider it to be worth every cent.

Have Fun,
Jim.