HM700 Won't record at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old April 19th, 2010, 04:08 PM   #1
Major Player

HM700 Won't record

I purchased an HM700 from B&H, and a couple of 32 gig class 6 patriot memory cards from Newegg that seemed to be getting good reviews. I shot a couple of 30 second test clips that worked fine. However, once I shoot more than about three minutes, the camera stops recording on its own. I can not play back the recorded video. If I take the card out and put it in again, it says it needs to be repaired. When I try to repair the media though it gives me an error message.

Is this a problem with the memory? If so what memory cards should I be using?
Adam Grunseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 06:27 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I had some problems with Verbatim and sometimes errors with 16 GB Transcend, no problems with 8 GB Transcend, Samsung SDHC, Panasonic 10x (Gold-Series), XtreMemory.
Eric Deyerler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 07:18 PM   #3
Major Player

I've bought some Core Micro 32 GB class 6 cards from Future Shop and my camera wouldn't recognize them. I've never had a problem with Transcend so I am sticking with them even though they are a bit more $$$
Old April 23rd, 2010, 05:50 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I had the same problem with a 16GB Dane-Elec(Duracell) card. After recording various B-roll shots, we started an interview and within a few minutes the camera stopped recording. After a few more attempts, power down and up, I changed cards(Panasonic Gold) and did not have anymore issues. I returned the Duracell card to Future Shop and exchanged it for a 16GB Panasonic Gold card...no issues since.
Scott Berrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2010, 05:53 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks for your reply Scott. I am glad to hear that someone else has had the same problem. I was a little concerned that the problem would turn out to be something to do with the camera and not the cards, so it is very reassuring to hear that you had the same thing and the problem was resolved by switching cards.

New cards are on the way. I ordered two SanDisk Extreme III class 6 cards. JVC says they tested SanDisk cards with good results, and I can't find any examples of anyone saying they have had problems with them, so hopefully they will work for me.
Adam Grunseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2010, 07:11 PM   #6
Regular Crew

In the owner's manual, JVC recommends Panasonic, Sandisk or Toshiba cards. The Sandisk Extreme III cards are now class 10 as far as I know and have very good reviews. I'm going to stick with the Panasonic cards as they are less expensive and are also class 10. Good luck!
Scott Berrington is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems