Please Help, Brand New HM700 unusable Noise at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old June 13th, 2010, 02:28 AM   #1
New Boot

Please Help, Brand New HM700 unusable Noise

Hey Guys, need some urgent help...
I just got a new HM700, I have had had fabulous results with the HM100 but this camera is unusable do to noise.. At first I thought it was just the VF limitation as I could see this minute snowing in all the dark areas but once I have looked at vision it looks terrible..
This noise is in soft lit interview situations, any shadows etc..
I had looked through old threads and found a thread suggesting the following advice.

Detail NORMAL
Master black -1
Black Toe STRETCH, Lev 3
Knee MANUAL 80%
DNR OFF

This has had no effect at all, I am currently in the middle of a docco and want to use this for interviews but the picture is no way near the little HM100...

Is there something I can do correct this or have I purchased a dud...

PS>> just checked JVC website and I have the latest firmware version already installed...
cheers

thanks heaps for any suggestions...
Todd.

Last edited by Todd Russell; June 13th, 2010 at 03:11 AM. Reason: additional info
Todd Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2010, 08:21 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Turn DNR on.

Turn gain off (if you haven't already).

Set Detail to somewhere between -3 and -7.

The black toe does not save you any usable picture information -- it's only useful if you like that look.

Don't trust the brightness on your viewfinder, and open the iris til your 100% zebra stripes start dancing. This camera records luminance from 0%-108%, so even once 100% zebras show up, you're not clipping yet.

Can you post a few seconds of HD video of your noisy footage?
Old June 14th, 2010, 08:36 PM   #3
Major Player

Todd,

Any luck with the camera so far? To me it sounds like it may just be bad. The camera should work out of the box and shouldn't have that kind noise like you describe. I've been shooting some with a hm100 mixed with an hm700 and the footage from the two cameras looks the same after some cursory editing. I certainly haven't seen any of the noise that you talk about from any of the 700's I've used.

I know you're probably swamped with trying to figure it out, but if you could get a frame grab and post it that would help people assess the problem.

Also, what thread suggested a knee of 80%? Just wondering about that. Some people use a low knee level, but that's really low. It also shouldn't have anything to do with the blacks.
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems