DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-800-700-600-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   HM700/790e - what software - FCP, CS5 OR EDIUS ? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-800-700-600-series-camera-systems/487236-hm700-790e-what-software-fcp-cs5-edius.html)

Rana Sodhi November 9th, 2010 09:34 AM

HM700/790e - what software - FCP, CS5 OR EDIUS ?

Hi all

I'm looking to buy 700/790 - can't make my mind up - hence need help

also what software is best for the JVC, some say cs5. FCP or edius grass valley, what spec would i need to ensure it all works, do i need a capture card?

Pls help i'm looking to set up in jan 2011

ur advice would be great,,,,,i do asian weddings in uk

Steve J. Nordahl November 9th, 2010 11:52 AM

IMHO, since use a Mac Pro and a Macbook Pro, I use Final Cut Pro Suite. You don't need anything but a SD card reader for the Mac Pro. I shoot in 720P MOV, so I just plug the card, copy and paste the .MOV files and open FCP, import them and start editing them all in one motion... Do yourself a favor and get high quality SD cards. I use Panasonic 32Gig SDHC Class 10 cards and I've never had a problem.

Steve J. Nordahl
Bethlehem, Pa.

Daniel Trout November 10th, 2010 09:01 AM

The HM700 does indeed deliver what it promises with Final Cut Studio. No deck, no capture card, no firewire, just get a cheap USB2 card reader that can handle SDHC cards, and drop your raw footage right into Final Cut's timeline.

Stephen Dougherty November 11th, 2010 01:03 PM

Although I currently own CS5 and FCS, Premiere Pro never gets opened. With my 700, it is basically 100% Final Cut workflow. A 10$ card reader and a very specced Mac Pro or iMac will do just fine. Believe me, FCS has more then enough tools within it to handle anything you can throw at it. ( except Blu-Ray =/)

John Sirb November 11th, 2010 08:14 PM

I've been editing on Edius for 4 yrs and have no issues at all with editing MP4 from the 700 on it

Daniel Trout November 11th, 2010 08:47 PM

I've also read, (I can't remember where, so if someone could confirm or deny I'd be very greatful,) that the upcoming open source release of LightWorks, (EditShare - The Smart Way to Edit Together - Home) will natively support the "Final Cut Pro" friendly Quicktime-wrapped XDCAM files from the 700 as well, so no passing it through Sony or JVC's intake software necessary.

This was pretty good news to me, as it opens up my options on inexpensively expanding my post-production arsenal to include non-Macs without changing the cameras file setup.

EDITED TO ADD: Silly me. I read it on the link I posted above in the LightWorks specifications. Straight from the horses mouth!

James McBoyle November 13th, 2010 07:29 AM

Just to add another hat into the ring, It's as simple as the FCP workflow if you shoot with .mp4 and edit with Sony Vegas.

Mick Jenner November 14th, 2010 05:23 AM

Editing with Edius 5 Capture and storage useing the the supplied software, that way when you open the clips, just drag them into the edius project bin

Mick

Casey Krugman December 9th, 2010 03:05 PM

I use FCS. It's great for the drag and drop option, although i've found it easier in the long run to use a Prores sequence instead of the XDCam sequence (No Mpeg Reconforming then)