DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-800-700-600-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Card crashed while in use (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-800-700-600-series-camera-systems/488277-card-crashed-while-use.html)

John Sirb November 30th, 2010 11:32 PM

Card crashed while in use

Anyone ever have a card crash in the camera while recording. Just had it happen and didnt notice at first because I was shooting some handheld and the camera just switched to the other card.

Any hope of maybe rescuing the footage on the card? my guess is no.

I'm getting a bit gun shy. I have had one other glitch with this camera ( and fairly certain it was a different card) but the glitch was only for one second ( and exactly one second, which is weird) and now this

Figure I should add it's the HM700 and the card was a Adata 32GB class 6

Scott Berrington December 1st, 2010 06:21 AM

I suggest you try the Panasonic Class 10 cards, I've never had an issue with them. I've tried the cheap cards and learned the hard way, you get what you pay for.

Battle Vaughan December 1st, 2010 01:50 PM

About file recovery: I don't KNOW that it will work, but I have always had good luck with Sandisk Rescue Pro. There is also a deluxe version, information here: How-to videos for RescuePro and RescuePro Deluxe

disclaimer: I don't have the JVC camera in question to test this, but among the file recovery programs I have used for various purposes, this one seems to always do the best job...

Eric Deyerler December 1st, 2010 04:24 PM

It's possible when you use low price sdhc-cards, like Transcend or Verbatim.

I know this problem!

John Sirb December 1st, 2010 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battle Vaughan (Post 1593944)
About file recovery: I don't KNOW that it will work, but I have always had good luck with Sandisk Rescue Pro. There is also a deluxe version, information here: How-to videos for RescuePro and RescuePro Deluxe

disclaimer: I don't have the JVC camera in question to test this, but among the file recovery programs I have used for various purposes, this one seems to always do the best job...

Thanks Battle. the only issue is that you need the computer to see the card to use the software, but in this case it doesn't.

John Sirb December 2nd, 2010 10:33 PM

must of angered the video gods....

Well an update.
The problem repeated it's ugly self again tonight with another card. right in the middle of recording a Christmas concert...boom...just stops and gives an error message for slot A. ( Didnt have any error messages before)

Points away from bad ( inexpensive) media to camera issue. I'll be on the phone first thing with the JVC Field Engineer. should be an interesting conversation since this is a fairly new camera.

I'm quickly missing the days of tossing a tape in and it worked 99.9%

Kenneth Gurney December 8th, 2010 06:19 PM

I had the same exact thing happen to me with similar cards (the Adata 32gig class 10). I have used many of the Adata 16gig cards without any issues, and I have even used a couple of the 32gig before without any problems. If the problem is throughput, is there a way to speed test the cards before you use them? It seems like certain batches of cards even from the same manufacturer work differently.

I think something to take into consideration for a lot of us is not only the media, but the recording settings. If you are going to go all out and record in the full HQ setting, then I believe you are going to need a card that can handle the 35mbs. However, if you are using the SP setting, I believe the data rate drops down to between 19 & 25mbs. In these instances cheaper but still reliable media should still work, shouldn't it? The question is still finding cards that will indeed maintain the proper throughput. Of course what that data rate is I'm not sure of, does anyone know that actual write speeds are for the different recording levels (I can't imagine that it's actually a sustained 35mbs, the high end class 10 Panasonic cards can only write at 22mbs)? Anyway something to think about when buying media.

John Sirb December 9th, 2010 12:19 PM

SanDisk Extreme benchmarks

Thanks for your thoughts Ken. One other though I've had is the temps have been falling here in Ohio the past couple of weeks ( it was a balmy 13 this morning) and can cold temps affect the cards?

But I received two new SanDisk Extreme cards a 16GB class 6 and a 32GB class 10. In using the ATTO benchmark test, the 16GB pegged at 20 mb/s for read and write but on the 32GB it was a consistent 21 mb/s read and 18 m/s write.

should the read/write speed be more similar?

Scott Berrington December 9th, 2010 02:18 PM

Are we talking bits or bytes? Tha Sandisk Class 10 cards are marketed as 30MB/s and the camera only requires 6MB/s(Class 6) to handle the 35Mb/s VBR HQ setting.

Kenneth Gurney December 9th, 2010 10:25 PM

Don't know about the temp issue.

As for the data rates on the cards, I believe many of the cards usually have faster read times than write. I looked at a review of several SDHC cards on tomshardware.com and read times seemed consistently faster than write times.

I talked to a JVC rep today and mentioned the issue I had with the cards. I wanted the verify the data rates on the camera, and if I recall correctly he said that in full 1920 x 1080 HQ you max out at 35mbs (but it is a constant 35mbs), at 1440 you run 24 or 25mbs, and at 720 the data rate is something like 19mbs. I told him the card type and that I wasn't even recording in HQ (at the time was doing 720) and he said that just about any class 10 should have been able to handle the data easily. As someone mentioned they usually run anywhere from 15 to 30 MBs (Mega Bytes vs mega bits) depending on brand. Though he also said he wasn't completely surprised. It seems that he has heard of people having problems with almost every brand of SDHC card. Of course some brands are worse than others, but he said that even a news station that uses only the SanDisk cards still have had one or two not work (out of the 100s that they buy). Sometimes I guess there is just a bad batch of cards.

The bottom line is that I need to make sure and test the cards I get before I go out on a shoot :-)

John Sirb December 11th, 2010 10:53 AM

Thanks for the followup Scott and Ken.
I think I may be getting my numbers confused, I was thinking MBytes, but this keeps getting stranger and stranger.

The extreme 32GB card, when tested in ATTO was giving me 21MB/s read and 18 MB/s write, which to me seems low considering benchmarks for their 16GB cards on Tom's ( thanks for reminding me about them Ken). In a follow up with using H2Testw, the 32GB tests out at 14.3 MB/s write and 19 MB/s read. again seems on the low side to me.

Now the stumper. The 700 will not read / write /format this card. I also have a HM100, and it reads / writes / formats to this card. the firmware is the current version. JVC is overnighting a card. not quite sure if its a test card or maybe with the firmware loaded to and try reloading.

As far as the extreme card, would you return the card based on the card appearing to not be up to snuff.

Scott Berrington December 13th, 2010 03:17 PM

Sounds like a bad card, I would try and exchange it. Any problems with other cards?

Alexandru Cristescu December 13th, 2010 11:40 PM

I was out in the field shooting some interviews when I picked up the tripod (with the camera rolling) and stepped back a few feet to get a two shot. At that time I got a card error message. The entire interview was gone.... Luckily we had enough time to redo it but I could tell the reporter I was working with was upset. Doesn't help that I'm fairly new to the team..... We're using cheapo cards so I'm getting a little concerned. Is it possible to mirror what you shoot onto the other card?

John Sirb December 18th, 2010 02:24 PM

a card update

Here is an update on this saga. The first Extreme card did turn out to be flaky and the vendor accepted the return no questions. the one thing with the first disk was the rather large difference in read/write speeds.
the replacement extreme 32GB card and the 16GB as well are both consistant 21MB/s.

The rest of the cards I have ( a couple of Delkins and a couple of Adata) all seem to test out fine using the ATTO software.

Shot a performance of Nutcracker last night and everything with flawless ( except for some drastic color temp swings..some scenes at 32K, others at 7K)

Thanks to all who have followed up.