DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-800-700-600-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   AC Power Supply (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-800-700-600-series-camera-systems/491854-ac-power-supply.html)

Keith Marley February 16th, 2011 02:48 PM

AC Power Supply

Still waiting on delivery of HM700 and I think I have just had another rude awakening as to extra outlay - didn't realise that it does not come with an AC power supply.
Can anyone give me some suggestions as to what is the best option - I am about to buy two SWIT batteries with charger, however would I be better forking out a few quid more for a SWIT charger that can also be an AC supply or should I buy a separate adapter, and if so anyone got any reasonable recommendations?
Thanks in advance.

Craig Yanagi February 16th, 2011 10:41 PM

You may want to look into the IDX VL-2PLUS which charges two V-mount batteries or provides 60W power via XLR, both in the same unit.

Good Luck,

Keith Marley February 17th, 2011 03:57 AM

Thanks Craig - it looks better than the SWIT one I had been looking at.
Keith

Christian Brown December 12th, 2011 07:27 AM

Re: AC Power Supply

Hoping for some clarification...

Is it possible to power the camera without a battery?

Mike Kujbida December 12th, 2011 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christian Brown (Post 1703033)
Hoping for some clarification...

Is it possible to power the camera without a battery?

Yes it is. The charger Craig mentioned also doubles as a power supply.
In my case, I was lucky enough to buy my HM700 when they included an Anton-Bauer battery and charger with it.
I can run it on battery (almost 4 hr.) or stick the charger on and run it from AC.

Don Bloom December 12th, 2011 04:36 PM

As Mike said, yes you can power the camera (as most pro cams) without a battery. However you need a charger/ac adaptor to do so. Anton Bauer has a number of different ones (varying price range) IDX has a couple of different ones, not sure who else has that piece.
Here's the rub. At least with the Anto Bauers you can't charge the battery(s) and power the camera at the same time. When I ran AB batteries I used a 4 position intellicharger to charge batterys and a much less expensive Tandem 60 to power the camera IF I needed to have AC and battery power for run and gun. At seminars and focus groups AC power is IMO the way to go but I almost always needed the ability to be mobil for B roll and talking heads so batterys were needed. Having both solved the problem but honestly I could have gotten away with just the intellicharger to power the camera and not worried about charging the batterys since I had 4 of them (at least) on the job at all times.

Hamish Reid December 12th, 2011 09:21 PM

You could also presumably use the 4-pin XLR DC in on the side of the 700 with a suitable mains power converter (they have them at B&H). I haven't tried it with mine (I have the Anton Bauer charger that others are talking about), but I've definitely thought of using it...

Don Bloom December 12th, 2011 10:07 PM

The AB intellicharger/power supply powers the camera using the 4 pin XLR. I used it on Sony DSR models, my JVC 5000 and 5100 and even the JVC HD200/250 series also had 4 pin power ports. It was actually my preferred method but I found the Tandem 60 worked fine especially if I had to have the batterys available for off tripod run and gun.

Hamish Reid December 13th, 2011 11:18 AM

Ah, I only have the cheapest possible AB changer -- just the basics :-). It fits on the back of the camera like a battery. Maybe there's an XLR fitting there somewhere but I've never actually looked...

Don Bloom December 13th, 2011 02:22 PM

The Tandem 60/70 series charger/power supply doesn't have 4 pin capability.
The intellicharger/powersupply does but can't only be used for 1 function at a time.
The Tandem series can also only be used for 1 function at a time.