High speed video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old March 9th, 2011, 04:39 PM   #1
Regular Crew

High speed video

I had a manufacturing company call and ask if I can shoot some good slow motion video of a piece of equipment that they are having problems with. The equipment is running carboard at 800 ft. per minute.

I can overcrank my JVC GY HM700 and shoot 720p set to 60 FPS.

Any idea if this might be a high enough frame rate or will I need to rent a high speed cam .... ie 1000 FPS?

Thanks in Advance
RonE
Ron Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2011, 06:47 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: High speed video

You need to find out from the client what the fastest-moving (potentially troublesome) component is within the piece of equipment that they want to record.

For example, if there is a roller that is 6 inches in circumference, and the line is rolling 800ft per minute, that means the roller is turning 4.44 times per second. At 60Fps, you'll capture 13.5 steps of each revolution, probably more than enough to catch a problem.

However, if there is some kind of gear or cog moving faster than that, or a cutting tool that only comes down for a split second and then pops back up rapidly, you may run into trouble. A cutter or press might complete the critical part of its motion cycle in 1/10th of a second, for example, giving you only 6 frames to catch the entire range of motion.

So, the answer is that it is very possible that the HM700 at 60Fps will do what you want, but you'd better communicate further with the client about exactly what it is they want to capture before making that decision. You may also want to simply tell them that you can come out and do an attempt with the standard camera and that if it doesn't work, a high-speed camera (and appropriate flicker-free lighting) will need to be rented at their expense. They'll probably be OK working with you a couple of go-arounds if you lay out the limitations and potential costs for them.
Bob Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2011, 02:28 AM   #3
Major Player

Not sure that this would work for the purpose, but a variable speed strobe light as the only source might be an interesting option.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2011, 09:33 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Bob,

Thanks for the reply. Basically I told the customer the same thing over the phone. I will post my findings after the job is finished.

RonE
Ron Edwards is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems